Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2017, 07:02 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Weber Q Problems

Searching for answers on my grill. After only a few uses over the past three years, I've just about had my gut full of the Weber Q100 I purchased for the RV. I've always operated it off the main propane tank of the RV on an extension hose. At max it only has a nominal flame, it take What seen like forever to get hot enough to cook upon, and it never really gets hot enough to sear a steak or any other meat. Is this typical of the Q100 or am I doing something wrong. If I need to replace it, what is a reasonably small good unit that I could get to replace it.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2017, 07:14 PM   #2

The Q100 was their lowest output entry level unit. It only has like 7100BTU output. So the key, and I have one and love it, but the key is give it time to preheat. I always cook 1 inch thick steaks and they turn out great. Medium rare is easy. If you want more output, look at the Q200 or the newest 300 series.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:21 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
We've got the 200 and use a 20lb tank insteadof the small green units. Seems like we get more heat and less waste
Old 04-15-2017, 07:26 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
The Q100 was their lowest output entry level unit. It only has like 7100BTU output. So the key, and I have one and love it, but the key is give it time to preheat. I always cook 1 inch thick steaks and they turn out great. Medium rare is easy. If you want more output, look at the Q200 or the newest 300 series.
Have one for 5 years and cooks exactly like my home grill. We grill 1"+ tenderloin steaks with only a 5 min warm up then 7min per side.

I use a 4.5lb tank. Once awhile back i had similar problem like yours and the hose to connect the tank failed, how i don't know. Bought a new hose and everything has been fine.

I would say to get one of the small bottles you screw onto the grill to see if it's really the grill or your hose.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:45 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the responses. I've let it preheat for an hour without good cooking results. I keep both a supply of the green bottles and the 20 lb tanks I'll check those out to see if it corrects the problem before I go the route of a new feed line or grill.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:59 PM   #6

Weber' customer service is pretty good. Give them a call. We carry a Weber Q1200 and I would rather cook on it than my big stainless steel Weber. I just converted my Q1200 today to run of the onboard LP. Works great!
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:23 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Your problem might be that you're running two regulators. When you run it off of a hose from your RV, you're typically plugged into the hose AFTER your RV regulator. Then you're connecting to the BBQ which has it's own regulator. This may not be the case, but you said you have both a supply of green bottles and 20 pound tanks, which leads me to believe you left the regulator on the BBQ. You're reducing the flow to next to nothing with two regulators. I'll bet it works just fine when you connect a green bottle or propane tank.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:37 AM   #8
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Your problem might be that you're running two regulators. When you run it off of a hose from your RV, you're typically plugged into the hose AFTER your RV regulator. Then you're connecting to the BBQ which has it's own regulator. This may not be the case, but you said you have both a supply of green bottles and 20 pound tanks, which leads me to believe you left the regulator on the BBQ. You're reducing the flow to next to nothing with two regulators. I'll bet it works just fine when you connect a green bottle or propane tank.
I think Don has your answer. The grill has its own regulator, so if the propane is being tapped off from after the RV regulator, you have 2 regulators in the line and won't get much flow.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:28 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Your problem might be that you're running two regulators..............
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
I think Don has your answer. The grill has its own regulator, so if the propane is being tapped off from after the RV regulator, you have 2 regulators in the line and won't get much flow.
That makes sense. As I prefer to run off the main RV tank, is there a way to remove and/or bypass the pressure regulator from the grill.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:57 AM   #10

Weber Q Problems

Probably. On the conversion I did on my Q1200 yesterday I removed the grill's regulator and put a male QD where the regulator plugged in. This connects to a hose that has a male QD on the other end that plugs into a gas female QD on the end of the gas line that runs from the trailer's onboard regulator to the rear of our TT. I also added a female QD to the grill's regulator so I have the option of using the green canisters if I want or need to. The whole conversion took me about 15 minutes or so. Very easy. Look up a web site called "Ca lo re", actually DM Sturgis, a Missouri company and give them a call. Tell them what you want to do and they will sell you everything you need. Quick delivery, too. Nice folks to deal with.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:06 AM   #11

Many of us have installed a tee before the regulator. A tee before the regulator allows you to use grills and other accessories without modifying them.

The ones designed for this go by the names "Extend-a-Stay," "Sturgi-Stay," etc..I bought and installed the Camco version.

My Weber Q1200 actually runs hot off the RV tank, using the tee.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSPA View Post
Searching for answers on my grill. After only a few uses over the past three years, I've just about had my gut full of the Weber Q100 I purchased for the RV. I've always operated it off the main propane tank of the RV on an extension hose. At max it only has a nominal flame, it take What seen like forever to get hot enough to cook upon, and it never really gets hot enough to sear a steak or any other meat. Is this typical of the Q100 or am I doing something wrong. If I need to replace it, what is a reasonably small good unit that I could get to replace it.
I tried many small BBQ's and found the Weber Baby Q100 to be great.

If you are operating off the main tank, is the LP that is coming to the Q100 already going through the regulator to reduce the pressure? If it is, you need to take the regulator off the Q100 or your LP is being reduced twice and that would be the answer to your problems with the Q100.
oldjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:23 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSPA View Post
Is your connection to the RV's propane tank before or after the regulator?
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbill View Post
Probably. On the conversion I did on my Q1200 yesterday I removed the grill's regulator and put a male QD where the regulator plugged in. This connects to a hose that has a male QD on the other end that plugs into a gas female QD on the end of the gas line that runs from the trailer's onboard regulator to the rear of our TT. I also added a female QD to the grill's regulator so I have the option of using the green canisters if I want or need to. The whole conversion took me about 15 minutes or so. Very easy. Look up a web site called "Ca lo re", actually DM Sturgis, a Missouri company and give them a call. Tell them what you want to do and they will sell you everything you need. Quick delivery, too. Nice folks to deal with.

Here is the web site I referred to above.
http://caloreequipment.com

My modified Q1200 and regulator pics.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0095.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	158446
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0096.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	158447