Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2021, 08:27 AM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yeah BobMar you are in deep doo-doo now!

Headed to RMNP again next week. We're trying for a clean run this time. After this trip it is to the moth balls until next May!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2021, 08:33 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
Yeah BobMar you are in deep doo-doo now!

Headed to RMNP again next week. We're trying for a clean run this time. After this trip it is to the moth balls until next May!

Well, we’ll see on our trip next week.
[emoji1696][emoji1696][emoji1696]
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:53 AM   #31

Replaced a busted mounting bracket for one of the gas pistons on our Murphy bed just before leaving on a 3 week trip to Maine. First night out, the new bracket broke again. Shoulda checked and replaced the piston, which was frozen in the open position. Cheap parts used in building the RV. Silly me for not checking the piston.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:26 AM   #32

I have the same issue pop up every trip. We have to go home too soon!

Happy travels.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 01:33 PM   #33

Still on the trip and did some routine checking in the engine compartment. Have aluminum coolant surge tank and found all 3 mounting tabs broken off at the welds on the tank. Off to Harbor Freight for a temp strap for the last Leg home. Sd and Ne have some rough roads. Sure there’s more to tighten and repair
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 01:46 PM   #34

On our last trip in mid-June, we had one problem with the RV and two with the humans. My step-son and a bought of intestinal flu, and I was down a day with the same. The RV did not have any issues until 80 miles from home when the A/C condenser fan failed. The shaft to fan clip fell off and hogged out the plastic blade. Had to replace the entire fan assembly to fix that one.

On our previous Christmas trip nothing happened. The trip before that the generator ignition module failed in 100+ degree heat, running the roof A/C.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:06 PM   #35

Nothing in last three trips broke on ours, but I do a lot of PM maintenance before we go. Last January 1st while in Chattahoochee Tennessee I fell and broke my left wrist. Spent New Years night in the ER getting a cast put on my arm.

The worst thing that broke was on our previous coach, a well used class “C”. We had the generator fall out of the coach. Luckily it did it just as we were backing into our camping spot. It had been mounted to the under side of the wooden floor which had rotted through. Tided it back up into place and when I got home welded up a new mounting system and bolted it to to the coach metal frame. Traded in the class “C” for our current class “A”.
Old 09-30-2021, 08:19 AM   #36

Windshield washer motor gave up the ghost during a driving thunder storm.
Old 09-30-2021, 08:30 AM   #37

Texas Boomers Club
Last trip? 2 things...

1. Black tank valve would not seal and I got the gift of poo when hooking up at our last stop on the last trip.

2. Roof membrane tried to blow off. Dealer was supposed to re-stretch the front portion of the roof and I did not trust it. I attached a go pro to the front cap and was able to see an 8 ft by 6 ft by 18 in bubble on the front of my trailer.
Ended up at a home depot for some wood furring, screws and dicor. Two strips of wood held everything in place until we returned from a 2,000 mile trip. Just got the unit back from the dealer last week and now have a new roof..

All of this on a unit that is 120 days old to us... FUN....
Old 09-30-2021, 08:38 AM   #38

The only thing I broke on my last trip was my wallet. I went to a snowmobile Grass Drag Race and Swap Show for the weekend two weeks ago with our class A. I bought one complete sled, one chassis, a spare engine, a set of three carburetors and a muffler. I had to call a friend and have him bring my truck and trailer down (86 miles one way) so I could send everything home. That was the first day.
I bought my wife a bag of "Kettle Corn". Can you believe $5.00 for a bag of "Kettle Corn"? It was good though.
Old 09-30-2021, 08:42 AM   #39

Trailer locked. Second set of keys inside the camper, and completely lost the only set we had with us.

We were able to resolve everything and nothing got broken. Long story.
Old 09-30-2021, 08:57 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We been lucky and have had very few "break downs" over the years. I guess one is buying a quality RV, and two is staying ahead of things on maintenance and repairs.

Eight plus years on the road and really only a couple of major items.

First was a 5-gallon bucket dropping off a truck (in 2014) in front of us and it took the oil filter out and ruined the engine in the truck by the time I got on the shoulder. His insurance paid for a new engine.

Next was an A/C fan wheel came apart.

Other than these two items, we pretty much just take care of the few issues as they come up.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 09:05 AM   #41

2600 mile trip from Kentucky to Washington State. Road construction West of Sioux Falls, SD construction gravel truck dropped a bunch of stuff. Result two star cracks in Pax windshield, and a 2' crack from a third . . . Kentucky has zero glass waiver, so they will fix at no cost to me. . . . This is out last trip with the coach as we are going full time cruising on our new boat. We'll be sorry to see the coach go, it's been absolutely GREAT, and we feel pampered every time we use it. We'll advertise it as soon as we get her cleaned out, and cleaned up!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 09:14 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
2600 mile trip from Kentucky to Washington State. Road construction West of Sioux Falls, SD construction gravel truck dropped a bunch of stuff. Result two star cracks in Pax windshield, and a 2' crack from a third . . . Kentucky has zero glass waiver, so they will fix at no cost to me. . . . This is out last trip with the coach as we are going full time cruising on our new boat. We'll be sorry to see the coach go, it's been absolutely GREAT, and we feel pampered every time we use it. We'll advertise it as soon as we get her cleaned out, and cleaned up!
Good luck with the sale and 'Happy Cruising'. Check in once in a while and let us know about your adventures.
You'll have to change your username to "Hit The Water"