Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2018, 07:44 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What do I say to the NEW car salesman?

Today we went to a local new car dealership to get DW a new set of wheels.

Without boring everyone with the details my story is this.

When I said its our family policy to "sleep on it" for 24 hrs before making a HUGE purchase the salesman said "what will it take to make you buy this car today?"

My answer was he needed to knock more off his asking price. He said that was not an option. OK, Bye.

The factory will change the oil for the next 4 years and it comes with a 6yr/ 60K mile bumper to bumper warranty. So what more could I have asked for? A free ball cap or Tee shirt every time I bring it for the free oil change ?

The car is probably priced about right from what I see advertised online and DW was standing looking like it was going to be her very first car.

I'm sure the salesman thought it was a done deal. I'm really glad we have that 24 hr rule.

Please let me have your thoughts and Ideas as to what I should ask for besides a ball cap or Tee shirt even though the new Jag caps do look nice

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2018, 07:56 PM   #2

We looked at a Mini Cooper today for a toad. Price was $9995, which was all-the-money retail for the car. It’s a real nice 2009, low miles JCW. I thought it was worth $8000, so that’s what I offered. He declined and asked the same thing. What can I do to get you in this car today? I said...Take $8000 for it.

We’re looking at another 2006 convertible with higher miles. Not as clean but only $3000. I figure it’s just going to beat up behind the RV anyway.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Just tell him to cut the price in half and you
will give him 24 hours to think about it
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:03 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Good idea on the 24hr thing. The last several cars we shopped, we took for 24 hours as just a short 20min test drive on a route the salesperson chooses isn't enough for me to determine how it handles (night driving, testing all the functions, driving the back roads where I live....etc.). I've decided against several this way.

As to what to ask for, just to name a few:
Upgraded floormats
Mudflaps
Unlimited car washes at the dealer
Remote start
If you didn't come in w/financing already in place, low finance rate (know the lowest rate in your area & ask for at least .5% less)
Window tinting

The list is endless on what you can ask for.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:06 PM   #5

I tell a salesman if he puts pressure on me to buy , I walk , & he’ll never see me again .
I’ve walked away more than once ., & I don’t leave them any phone numbers
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:25 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Going back

In 1987 I bought my wife a new Ford "small" truck. We looked at all brands and narrowed down to Ford and we started to talk price. Finally had a verbal deal with a dealer to the East of us. Made arrangements to meet my wife there to finalize and drive it home. Walked into the salesman's office and my wife was already there. She said she got the salesman to come down a little more. I looked at him and said "there is no way I'm going into work tomorrow saying she got a better price and if we were going to buy he'd have to come down a little more". He knocked another $50 off >> What a team!!!!
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:49 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I won't talk money to a salesman. Only the sales manager who can finalize the deal. If they tell me I can't do that I am out the door.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:56 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I won't talk money to a salesman. Only the sales manager who can finalize the deal. If they tell me I can't do that I am out the door.
I agree. The salesman will start the pricing "contest" and then they'll say, "let me run this number by the sales manager." Well how about we start with the sales manager.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:57 PM   #9

I was looking for a mid-sized PU in Portland, OR a few years ago, on a weekend.

The dealership had a new GMC mid-sized but there was no final price on it.
The salesman, a very young man, told me that for him to figure out the price would take him up to 30 minutes and his time was not free so "I want you to commit to buying this truck now before I spend any time on the deal."

I thought he was kidding but he was not. I told him if that's how he rolled then he could shove that truck........... He started screaming at me that he was going to get his manager and I just walked back to my car. Before I left the dealerships property this young salesman was walking towards my moving car, with a bigger male rolling up his sleeves and acting somewhat belligerent.

I guess you could say that we did not make a deal that day!!!
And so much for getting to the bottom dollar before committing to it

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:01 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
When ever I think they've hit rock bottom, I ask for a free set of winter floor mats. If they say no, that means they probably can't go any lower on the price. If they say yes, then I get a free set of floor mats!
David3811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:18 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Went to buy a new car "Many" years ago (1976). Apparently some semifinal basketball game was on the TV at the dealership. They were more interested in that than in my business so I went somewhere else...
Rest of the story: that was the only brand-new from the factory car I have ever owned...
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:37 AM   #12

I go in knowing what the car is worth to me as well as MSRP and invoice price. If I think it's a fair deal based on my research I go for it. I also go in knowing that the dealer is in business to make money. I don't expect them to give away cars just offer a fair deal. Shopping on the internet and getting quotes will help weed out the people you don't want to deal with.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ChevelleSS View Post
I go in knowing what the car is worth to me as well as MSRP and invoice price. If I think it's a fair deal based on my research I go for it. I also go in knowing that the dealer is in business to make money. I don't expect them to give away cars just offer a fair deal. Shopping on the internet and getting quotes will help weed out the people you don't want to deal with.

I’m th same way . If it’s not a fair price I don’t even go look at it.
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Years ago when I was a young fellow I went to a car lot and tried out a Z28 Camaro. That thing was nuts and the salesman said just feel the power. I put it through it paces but I didn't buy it.
What I should of said to the salesman was clean yourself up.

I don't play the game with sales people either I have my price in mind and if they meet it fine if not I walk out. It has worked several times.

Tags
sale