Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2021, 09:43 AM   #1

What happened to OUR education?

Folks,
I'll more than likely get flamed beyond belief here for this thread but, to me, it's no big deal. Been there, done that, several times in life. Anyway, what I'm talking about in this thread is, lack of ability to WRITE correctively. That is, did some folks just not pay attention in basic English class in high school? Did it just go right over their head? I mean, if you read many, many threads, answers, comments, posts, and more on here, it is PHENOMENAL the amount of incorrect English, capitals, commas, periods, and more.

Correct and accurate writing is just not that hard. Punctuation is a HUGE part of the game plan in writing. It states the general idea of a sentence or paragraph or whatever. I have read countless threads where, I have no idea what the person is either asking, stating, talking about, inquiring what so ever. There are some that will write ONE SENTENCE that is 25-50 lines long, WITH ZERO PUNCTUATION and zero breaks in the structure.

I guess painting a clear and decent picture of ones status when asking or answering or writing anything, is just not important any more. I guess people just don't care that they appear to have never attended school or, at least paid any attention, or, at the very least, RETAINED any of what they were taught.

Is it that hard to simply take a few seconds and do what's called PROOF READING of your writing? Just take a few seconds and look at what you've typed and think to yourself, "Does this sound right, does it look right?

Folks, I'm not an English teacher. I didn't even do that well in the subject of English in school. I got through it, barely. But, over the years, I just would look at what I have written, no matter where it was, on forum, in a note to someone, in a description of how to do something, an answer in an email or text, or anywhere, I'd just simply THINK about what I was writing and continually ask myself if what I'm writing is correct.

And speaking of texting, this is another area where folks have simply gotten LAZY! R U seeing my point here? I see quite a bit of what I'd call *Text type* in forum writings.

Folks, I'm not gonna change anything here by bringing this subject up. No one's gonna drastically or, even moderately improve their writing skills simply because I brought up the fact that a large percentage of writing on forums in general, are what looks like third grade education. Folks simply DON'T CARE. It's just like parking in a parking lot. The wife and I see it every single day. Folks park half way into the next parking place because, they simply don't take any pride in how they look in life.

We see it especially in handicapped parking. But, that's another subject. Anyway, again, I'm not gonna change a thing here by stating my thoughts on this. People are people. And once they've developed BAD habits, pretty tough to change them, especially if they've gone through their entire life with those habits and are now retired. It's just not important.

I suspect most will answer this thread with: "This is not an ENGLISH class, people get the point of what's being stated". I expect this. Oh well, I'll survive. Just some thoughts here.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2021, 09:55 AM   #2

So you only want folks who can write technical manuals to post?
Old 01-25-2021, 10:16 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have written many start up manual and technical procedures in my years as a mechanical engineer. There is a bit of difference in writing technical manuals and writing for general information.

The internet and social media have created a different style of writing and that is what most of the younger people are doing now. I guess you could call it lazy writing.

My guess is that in the future we many need to create a class in "ancient" writing. It will have to include classes in cursive writing so that many historical documents can be read.

Language and writing has change over the centuries. If you want some fun, go back and look at some writing in "Middle English. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_English

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 01-25-2021, 10:16 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, some people don't know how to write. But others have had extensive training and experience, I feel it would be unfair to judge others by this elevated standard. Just because some aren't as proficient, doesn't in any way lessen the value of their opinion. It just imposes a burden on the reader to read carefully and ask for clarification. Everything is easy, landing an F-4 is easy, once you know how to do it.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:23 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Folks,
What happened to OUR education?
Scott
What dat?
Old 01-25-2021, 10:24 AM   #6

The OP reminds me of my ex wife
Old 01-25-2021, 10:24 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Our #1 Community Rule is “ be nice “. So I’ll close this thread with another section from them.

“The language of this forum is English. If you are not a native English speaker, do your best. We are glad to have you as a member and will be supportive and polite.”

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Closed Thread

Tags
cat