Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2021, 06:40 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio44718 View Post
Think part of it is a mindset everyone gets a trophy. No longer need to apply yourself or strive to improve because I should have it without really fully applying myself.
Bingo! That was my first thought. Everyone gets a participation trophy. We certainly don’t want anyone’s feelings to be hurt. In St. Paul MN they used to pass kids to the next grade level even if they failed. It was called social promotions because they didn’t want to hurt kids self esteem.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2021, 06:51 AM   #44

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talloaks View Post
Just my opinion, it has nothing to do with the pandemic and lockdown. It might have something to do with other current social trends, i.e., the sense of entitlement demonstrated by behavior that conveys the message that "I'll take what I want whenever I feel like it, and I dare you to try to stop me."

We don't seem to have a national consensus anymore around rules, norms, or respect for legitimate authority, or even whether there is such a thing as legitimate authority.

Again, just my opinion.
What Talloaks said is on the money. This sick attitude has been growing for decades, but greatly increased in recent years. It is the me generation. Everything for me and to heck with anyone else. When I grew up, we took pride in following the rules and being responsible. Today, they take pride in breaking the rules and taking advantage of “the system”. It’s enough to make you cry.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:09 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concord View Post
Shortest explanation: We no longer teach the Golden Rule.

He who has the gold, makes the rules?
But sadly, I believe you are correct. If I'm not mistaken, the new version started around the 60's: "Do unto others, then split!"
Old 07-26-2021, 07:40 AM   #46

We just did 2 days travel up I-95 ,I-77, I-81 from Florida to Virginia on our way to Pennsylvania to pick up our new 5th wheel and I have to agree with many of the previous posters saying what is wrong with people ? We pull into a rest area and you see cars parked it the truck area and now I have no place to park our 42' MH or the truck my wife is following in , we drive right thru and head to next rest area and run into the same issue , at that point i'm ticked off , so I decide to pull in a spot occupied by a car and nose right close to their bumper and park ,wife does her thing ,she walks the dog and I wait for the people to return . Sure enough they come back and are giving me the evil eye and running their mouths , I sit there smiling and open the window and politely give them a jawing on inconsideration of their actions and informed them they were being recorded by a dash cam ......as they got back in the car they waved the " I'm #1 " at me and I was happy to give them a good blast from the air horns ......fun times traveling
Old 07-29-2021, 02:38 PM   #47

Quote:
Just my opinion, it has nothing to do with the pandemic and lockdown. It might have something to do with other current social trends, i.e., the sense of entitlement demonstrated by behavior that conveys the message that "I'll take what I want whenever I feel like it, and I dare you to try to stop me."

We don't seem to have a national consensus anymore around rules, norms, or respect for legitimate authority, or even whether there is such a thing as legitimate authority.

Again, just my opinion.

Nailed it!
Old 07-29-2021, 02:44 PM   #48

Quote:

Again, just my opinion.
I totally agree with this opinion. You see it everywhere and it has been a trend for the last few years, but gained strength after 2016...I will say no more as this forum is not political.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:44 PM   #49

Quote:

Again, just my opinion.
Not just your opinion, mine also! My other pet peeve is when someone pulls up into a gas pump and goes inside for over 30 minutes, sometimes not even purchasing gas. I actually had one guy cut me off as I was waiting to pull into the pumps, parked his car and hit the alarm lock on it! I had to wait another 20 minutes for a pump, (it was a busy place), and when I left he still never came out!
Old 07-29-2021, 02:49 PM   #50

Oh it’s always been like that as far back I can remember, the lockdown it’s just bringing the “the best out of them”

Zzotte
Old 07-29-2021, 02:51 PM   #51

It's simple.
To some people it's-all-about-me. Don't you see, I have my rights. No responsibilities accompany those rights, of course.
I owe nothing to my neighbors, my community, my country. It's all about me.
Welcome to America.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:00 PM   #52

Send a message via AIM to sgordo88 Send a message via MSN to sgordo88 Send a message via Yahoo to sgordo88
My Two Cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
What has happened to people? On the first day of a five day trip I pulled into a rest stop, it was close to noon and crowded. Parked our RV and toad in the truck area. I watched people park their cars in the truck park lanes and they would put one car in each truck lane taking up several truck lanes. When they left they would back up and turn around and go back out the way they came in! They didn’t know how to go forward and through the parking area.

Actually watched one private type car carrier, a 3500 pick-up with goose neck trailer with three cars on the trailer, instead of pulling forward and out, back his rig up into the on coming traffic and then drive out. Many of the people were rude and when one trucker pointed out to a women who had just parked her car next to his semi-truck that this area was for trucks and trailers she told him she would park anywhere she *** felt like. Is this what our country is turning into since the lock-down? I hope not but I have to wonder.
I do not think I could say it any better than what has already been said and I do think that at least part of what we are seeing is COVID-lockdown related. There seems to be many more people on the road these days who have fewer experiences of travel outside of urban environments and may have the highest degree of COVID-Lockdown frustrations. In general, the urban environment is full of more aggression, anger, fear, and frustration. Buckle up, landlords in San Francisco are having trouble renting out their properties and the City is emptying out of people, which means angry city people are on the move. Possibly to a rest stop near you!
I will do my best to be understanding and patient, but, yes, there are people who test one's tolerance to the maximum.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:09 PM   #53

To Xmcdog, we spent four months in your Maritimes, including Nova Scotia and despite the spectacular scenery and things to do, when we talk about our trip what pots up most often is how friendly, accommodating, and down right nice the folks were. Absolutely terrific. When I see cars blocking lanes for trucks, etc. (rare indeed compared to all the traffic) it reminds me that those are very rare and I rethink about how many of those vehicles in a rest stop are doing the right thing, just like all those folks in the Maritimes.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:24 PM   #54

Freightliner Owners Club
disrespectful drivers have been around for as long as motorized vehicles have existed. some feel the power of the vehicle gives them the right of passage to act stupid. I began driving commercially in 1978. Drivers were much more courteous and respectful to others. the more time passes people become more self-centered it is all about me get out of my way "I OWN THE ROAD" mentality. they are not the slightest bit interested in helping another driver or get out of someone else way. they are entitled! being a motorcyclists drives me nuts some days as i ask the other person in my mind did you really just do that? I have to always be looking for an escape route from something going wrong around me. I choose to be helpful, and respectful to others. I choose to get out of other people way when they act ignorantly. we need to go way back in time where everyone treats other with Dignity instead acting like the other person is not worthy of interaction simply get out of my way. Every one of us needs to make a choice of how we act towards others. every person has my respect until they prove to me otherwise.
2018 Weekend Warrior 4620 fifth wheel toy hauler
Old 07-29-2021, 03:24 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
What has happened to people? On the first day of a five day trip I pulled into a rest stop, it was close to noon and crowded. Parked our RV and toad in the truck area. I watched people park their cars in the truck park lanes and they would put one car in each truck lane taking up several truck lanes. When they left they would back up and turn around and go back out the way they came in! They didn’t know how to go forward and through the parking area.

Actually watched one private type car carrier, a 3500 pick-up with goose neck trailer with three cars on the trailer, instead of pulling forward and out, back his rig up into the on coming traffic and then drive out. Many of the people were rude and when one trucker pointed out to a women who had just parked her car next to his semi-truck that this area was for trucks and trailers she told him she would park anywhere she *** felt like. Is this what our country is turning into since the lock-down? I hope not but I have to wonder.
I figure people have reasons for doing what they're doing. It may be what they're comfortable with or they may have a totally different reason. I just watch what they're doing and give them room to do it. Once they're done, I do what I'm going to do. Why stress over it?
Old 07-29-2021, 03:25 PM   #56

Sadly, entitlement and arrogance. I'd smile quietly if a trucker leaving clipped a car.