Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2021, 11:22 AM   #1

What has happened to people?

What has happened to people? On the first day of a five day trip I pulled into a rest stop, it was close to noon and crowded. Parked our RV and toad in the truck area. I watched people park their cars in the truck park lanes and they would put one car in each truck lane taking up several truck lanes. When they left they would back up and turn around and go back out the way they came in! They didn’t know how to go forward and through the parking area.

Actually watched one private type car carrier, a 3500 pick-up with goose neck trailer with three cars on the trailer, instead of pulling forward and out, back his rig up into the on coming traffic and then drive out. Many of the people were rude and when one trucker pointed out to a women who had just parked her car next to his semi-truck that this area was for trucks and trailers she told him she would park anywhere she *** felt like. Is this what our country is turning into since the lock-down? I hope not but I have to wonder.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2021, 11:26 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
I take pride in politely pointing out these people who obviously fail to read signs and should be reminded of common decency. At the end of the day, if they want to be rude, I can smile and know that I am mostly in the right...
Old 07-23-2021, 11:38 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
What has happened to people?... Is this what our country is turning into since the lock-down? I hope not but I have to wonder.

Just my opinion, it has nothing to do with the pandemic and lockdown. It might have something to do with other current social trends, i.e., the sense of entitlement demonstrated by behavior that conveys the message that "I'll take what I want whenever I feel like it, and I dare you to try to stop me."

We don't seem to have a national consensus anymore around rules, norms, or respect for legitimate authority, or even whether there is such a thing as legitimate authority.

Again, just my opinion.
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Old 07-23-2021, 11:48 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Old Harry-

Fifteen years ago I heard a noted observer of human nature say:

"The United States has turned into a nation of 300 million supreme beings."

That pretty much sums it up, and points out that the current crop of short-tempered, self-centered "interactions" has been in the pipeline for years. The last year or so just made it more common.

And I'm no better; If I’m honest, my thought life is no higher than a five-year-old’s. Most every thought is “Says who?,” “Don’t wanna,” or “Mine!”

Mush all that together, and I'm

- thankful the truckers are as nice as they are,
- grateful that few accidents happen when folks drive the "wrong way,"
- hopeful that I can be thoughtful and courteous and
- prayerful that my fellow travelers can have better days
Old 07-23-2021, 11:51 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Old Harry-

Fifteen years ago I heard a noted observer of human nature say:

"The United States has turned into a nation of 300 million supreme beings."

That pretty much sums it up, and points out that the current crop of short-tempered, self-centered "interactions" has been in the pipeline for years. The last year or so just made it more common.

And I'm no better; If I’m honest, my thought life is no higher than a five-year-old’s. Most every thought is “Says who?,” “Don’t wanna,” or “Mine!”

Mush all that together, and I'm

- thankful the truckers are as nice as they are,
- grateful that few accidents happen when folks drive the "wrong way,"
- hopeful that I can be thoughtful and courteous and
- prayerful that my fellow travelers can have better days
Well said!
Old 07-23-2021, 11:57 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is not a new thing. We started traveling in an RV in 2005 and found cars parked in the truck spots all of the time. I could never figure out why?
Old 07-23-2021, 12:36 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
What has happened to people?

I would add a possibility that the internet and the incivility on it when being a unknown person, has spilled out into real life and in person. To many seem to feel that anyone is fair game as a “unworthy “ .
As a truck driver I saw many people who are clueless on rest area function. But it was rare . There’s always a few who just haven’t experienced the operation system the same way. Personally I’d avoid the truck area in a car as those water puddles ain’t water ! that and the smell … but hey….
Old 07-23-2021, 12:38 PM   #8

It would sure be a shame if they came back out of the building to find at least two flat tires.....everyone knows that truck/RV parking spots are kind of rough on regular car tires. By the time they found a roadside service to be able to handle two flat tires, I'm sure the state Police could be there and ticket them for parking in a truck spot.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:47 PM   #9

This is a problem in one rest area near Flagstaff - an unfortunate design for the rest area has angle parking for the cars along a curb to the right and the truck/trailer spots angling off to the left. The restroom building is near the center of the rest area on the curb side, so some of the car spots are maybe 100 feet from the building. Instead of walking that 100 feet or so the automobilists park in the truck/trailer spots so they won't wear themselves out with all that walking. Many of the automobilists seemed to be highly amused when they saw the trucks and/or RVs have to just give up and proceed down the road when they could find no place to park. There were plenty of empty car spots, just the drivers are too lazy to use them. The more common layout of most of the rest areas I've used has the truck parking past the car parking so that it is a longer walk from the truck spots to the restrooms - this seems to work well as the car people would never even consider using the truck spots if it involves extra walking.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:48 PM   #10

Back when I was jammin gears I've seen a K car,( remember them?) block three loading docks. I didn't think it was possible.

It is the me, me generation. We see it here in Canada as well.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:59 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Well said!

Well said X-2.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:02 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I see this often: guy pulls up to the pumps of a convenience store, gets out and heads into the store, leaving his vehicle under the canopy over the fuel island. Then he comes back out with his monster drink, get's back in his puny pickup, and drives away, never even coming close to refueling.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:14 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
This is not a new thing. We started traveling in an RV in 2005 and found cars parked in the truck spots all of the time. I could never figure out why?
Like was previously mentioned, Only reason I can think of is some ignorant people figure they can get closer to the washrooms!
Old 07-23-2021, 01:19 PM   #14

We were getting as at Costco. Lady pulled in and proceeded to turn around to back into the pump.

She was oblivious to why everyone was honking and waving for her to stop.
Closed Thread