RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2020, 10:10 PM   #1

What I wish I knew when I was 40...

After reading all the great posts and being on this site actively for a couple months it occurred to me that 1) I am probably one of the youngest users actively on here and 2) what a wide range of knowledge and experience folks have on here.

That got me to thinking, "I wonder what all these more experienced wiser people wish they knew when they were younger..." I am going on 40 next year and thinking more about retirement (hopefully) some day.

If you could go back and tell your 40 year old self anything, what would you say??

I look forward to reading everyone's thoughts
nbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2020, 10:23 PM   #2

Iíll try to see if I can remember in the am
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:32 PM   #3

What would I say ?

That might not make my 40 year old self suicidal .

31 years after my 40th birthday party , I still have morning coffee from a mug that I got as a gift.

Well " No matter what your plans are , no matter how many back up plans you have , be ready and willing to change them all . "

It's life , you have to adapt as each situation arises.

Not knowing the future is scary enough , knowing exactly what will happen ; no matter what you do; would be even worse.

EDIT: Perhaps , just seeing that I as a 40 year old , had 30 + years left would be enough , knowing how the time went wouldn't be important, and the 40 year old me wouldn't need advice .
Old 12-04-2020, 10:34 PM   #4

Buy Amazon stock lol...
Seriously though, I wish I would have invested more than 15% towards retirement and bought more cheap real estate.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 05:01 AM   #5

I would not have put so much into other peoples business's thinking that
A they even noticed
B they even cared
but that was the way I was raised. I missed a lot of time with my family.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:59 AM   #6

I'd have told myself - "Stop buying stuff."

Used to be a firm believer in "the winner is the one who dies with the most [tools/toys/stereos/cameras/vehicles/etc.]"

Boy, was I wrong. Now most of those things are just expensive anchors.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:08 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbluesky View Post
I am going on 40 next year and thinking more about retirement (hopefully) some day.

If you could go back and tell your 40 year old self anything, what would you say??

Don't think about retirement it will come in time, but due plain for your retirement. Just don't wish your life away and try to plan out your life over the next five years out in time. Where you want to be and what you want to be doing.

Don't fall in love with looks, but how close their life and ideas parallel your own. Love the person for their quality and what they bring to the partnership. Do what you enjoy and try your best to be as good at doing it as you can. Friends will come and go, watch what they take and give to you during their time with you. READ MORE and try to like or hear elevator music, as doing so, will give your soul inner peace and a quiet spirit. You may not want to hear this or reject it.[Mod Edit]
This advice is free the next steps are your own. Best of luck on your life's walk. One last point if I can, hear more and say less. Love your Family, when they ask for money give them only half of what they ask for and money you can live without. Never trust completely until you have walked with them for a time and know that speck the truth and have shown wisdom from solid ground. Most of all ENJOY YOUR LIFE and the people who visit for a time.
Dogman635UT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:31 AM   #8

Enjoy today!
BYoshida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:45 AM   #9

1) Stuff doesn't define who you are and doesn't get you extra points.
2) Retirement, retirement, retirement, plan, plan, plan. Don't get caught 25 years down the road saying yea I could have done that different.
3) Don't buy into the hype that you need that big fancy house because all you do is fill it with stuff.
4) At the end of the day nobody wants your old stuff.

Last point I want to make is enjoy life because you only get to do it once.
Dennis58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbluesky View Post
After reading all the great posts and being on this site actively for a couple months it occurred to me that 1) I am probably one of the youngest users actively on here and 2) what a wide range of knowledge and experience folks have on here.

That got me to thinking, "I wonder what all these more experienced wiser people wish they knew when they were younger..." I am going on 40 next year and thinking more about retirement (hopefully) some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post

Iíll try to see if I can remember in the am
Thought about this a lot - Guess I was pretty Lucky, grew up with/in a Great Family, stayed close with all of them, Parents were both from just outside Atlanta, Georgia, they led by Example. Dad played Football and Graduated from the USNA, became a Nuclear Engineer, was Captain of one of the first Polaris Subs. Both parents allowed all 4 of us, two sisters and a younger brother, to follow our dreams. Grew up traveling all across this Great Country, and settled in Annapolis, Maryland.

So ...... that's the History..... add that I met and Married an Exceptional woman and she has blessed me with two Son's - so what would I tell my 40 YO self - Understand one thing Time Flies - FAST - WAY TOO FAST.

My 40 YO self actually only would change one thing - Save More - Spend Less.

Problem is/was hard to do all the things with the Family if you just work and Save, So I'd say to You - Family First - Money less - Do your Dreams, don't just Dream.

I would like to think that there was little that I'd Change - One thing I can remember from a conversation with my Mom (I was 19 in College) - "if you could do/change just one thing, what would it be?: - I replied - "Make every day last 48 hours not just 24, I've just got too much to Do."

So Value your Time - there is just not enough of it - live every Minute , Nike and Under Armor sum it up pretty well with there catch phrase's - Just Do It - I Will.

Will be interesting to follow this while we sit home and wait for Christmas, with this Covid times.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:32 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I Think now @ 75 I would have told myself to take better care of myself. I remember reading some where That“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Maybe I should have backed off that just a bit. LOL. But the Good Lord has helped me some in my last 25 years and I'm hopping in my next many years also.....
Old 12-05-2020, 08:48 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
40 years old was a defining moment for me. I had been working for the same company for 18 years. The company had gone through several transitions and at that point in time I was working for a GM that was clueless and dealt with a VP that was ruthless. Ultimately I had an opportunity to leave with a severance package, best thing I ever did. Decided to go back to grad school and got Masters degrees in Business and Industrial Engineering which ultimately provided for significant advancement to my career. I also vowed I'd never work in that type of hostile environment again.

At one point when I was interviewing for new position I was with two VP's and one asked a good question. "During your career do you have an regrets". My response somewhat floored them >>> "Yes, not quitting my last job sooner" I didn't get that job but eventually worked my way up the corporate ladder and retired from a COO position. So who was laughing then.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:30 AM   #13

20's are spent in party mode working paycheck to paycheck and having the time of your life.

30's come along and you get serious about your career, start a family and get busy with life.

40's is where you ramp up your career become a workaholic and try the best you can to balance work and family.

50's you have nothing to prove to anyone, your career is on solid footing and you start banking some good coin and get the kids out of the house.

60's is wind down time and hopefully you did everything right in your 30's, 40's and 50's.

If I had a do over I would have done the family thing in my 30's vice 42 and bought less and saved more in my 40's. Otherwise no regrets.

There was that one girl I look back on and say yea I screwed that one up.
Dennis58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:30 AM   #14

I read this post yesterday and couldn't respond
Thought about it last night

Nothing....
40 was a good time in my life
Great PAYING Job that I LIKED preforming
Was already putting 27% of gross into investments (24%/me & 3%/Company)
Due to rotating shifts I had 7 days OFF every month
Looks of camping, off-roading, water skiing, trips to Mexico for Dove Hunting.

Put 2 weeks Vacation to that 7 days off and I could be gone for 3 full weeks

Can't think of anything to TELL Myself at 40
Retired 9 months 10 days later and have enjoyed it since
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote