Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2007, 09:05 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
... What do you think is the funniest way that you have met new friends while RVing?

I will give you my personal answer by this Monday...but I am curious...
What brought you and a new set of friends together? ...Ok.. Gavel has sounded...and the floor is now open for comments!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2007, 09:05 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
... What do you think is the funniest way that you have met new friends while RVing?

I will give you my personal answer by this Monday...but I am curious...
What brought you and a new set of friends together? ...Ok.. Gavel has sounded...and the floor is now open for comments!

Old 12-16-2007, 12:51 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
We met some very good friends at Daytona motorspeedway. We parked next to them in the infield during our first motorhome attendance. We have gotten together many times and even brought them to one of the rallies in Fl. with other iRV2.com members.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:35 AM   #4

Stopped for a few days in Havre,MT to see Havre underground and whatever else we desired. We were parked at the RV park on the East edge of town. Next morning a MH was parked behind us(parallel sites)and the man knocked on the door right after breakfast. His MH would not start so he could drive to a tire shop to have a flat tire changed. We got the starter repaired so he could drive to tire shop. To make a long story wind down, the couple were from a city about 300 miles from our home in Indiana. We became good friends, only to learn of his death from prostate cancer a year later. That was the couple's last RV trip.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:09 AM   #5

While sitting in the visitors center in Hot Springs Arkansas looking for a campground, I noticed a guy pull up on a bike that was outfitted for the long haul.

We got to talking and he was spending the next 5 years traveling around North America like my wife and I are, only he was doing it solo on a motorcycle.

Sonny was from Denmark, and after a few beers in a local saloon, we ended up parked right beside each other in the same campground. That night it rained for the entire night with some of the strongest downpours I've ever heard.

Numerous times I went out in the rain and asked him to come into our camper where it was dry. He would just laugh and say "If I'm going to live for the next five years out of a tent, then a little rain wont hurt me!"

Neither my wife or I slept a wink all night worried about him beside us in that rain.

In the morning, we all sat in the camper while it was still raining and let some of his stuff dry out. We made a big warm breakfast and shared stories till late in the afternoon.

After dozens of stories and a big lunch, Sonny suited up, thanked us and rode off headed towards Alaska!! We've sent each other a few emails, but it was really cool to meet such a nice young fella who shares the same interests we do.

That is just one story of many, but it was the first one that came to mind

Pat & Cindy Bonish

Every Miles A Memory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:10 AM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A few years ago an internet community I was a member of, held a get together we called a chat meet in Indiana. We met another couple there who we had talk to many times on the net. Anyway long story short we had a tent trailer and they liked the idea and went and bought one for themselves. Since than we have upgraded to a MH and they have gone to a 27ft TT, We get together every couple of years and we travel around the US or our home states.
MtManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:49 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Sorry that I did not post my tale until now.. and I will try to condense it down..(OK...condensed for MM! )
As many of you know...I am living in the rig..and working many days usually...well I got home from work on Saturday and it was already dark. AS I drive into the park this is close to what I saw...
(It is my seasonal night light- on a timer )
I get into the house, change clothes, pour a glass of wine, turn on music and get ready to post on iRV2. . I now have a sentence typed out and I hear some sirens... first thought- "sounds close hope no one is hurt". I then hear "HoHoHo" ... second thought.."That isn't in that song" What the??? I pull back the curtain..and what do I see...

...but ST Nick visiting us "fulltimers" so we don't feel forgotten!!
My third thought..."Santa is taking time out for us .. he may need help to catch up!. I grab my wallet and dash out the door...and lo and behold..his helpers are here to collect money for the poor! !!
While I am out staring in awe..out comes my neighbors with an open jaw! We all dig deep into our pockets to chip in to possibly buy some toy rockets!
My neighbors are a friendly type and invite me over to drink some grapes that are ripe... and now the rhymes will stop..otherwise my post will have to be cropped!

I met a great couple that should be joining the Monaco Owners Forum soon- since they bought a 2007 HR Endeavor SFT a month after Sacs & I!!
Jim & Sheri..it was a pleasure to have Santa Claus bring me a gift of new friends about 10 days early!
Have a great Christmas..and I will talk to you soon!

Old 12-21-2007, 05:18 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
My wife (Peggy) and I met a great couple from Ohio while off-roading several years ago. We have grown to be good friends and just this last summer took a 2 week trip to Yellowstone and South Dakota with them caravaning our way out west was a blast.

RV'ing is a blast and we love it.

BounderFreddy

BounderFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:45 AM   #9

My wife and I bring our motorcycle with on most of our camping trips. It never fails that someone is curious about the unloading or loading process involved with the motorcycle.

It's generally fun to meet people this way, however I will say I occasionally have to turn a deaf ear to those who feel the need to offer unsolicited advice regarding my process. I do realize it's always well intended so I just smile & do my thing.

2009 Komfort Trialblazer 285S
Riverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:05 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Riverdog:
My wife and I bring our motorcycle with on most of our camping trips. It never fails that someone is curious about the unloading or loading process involved with the motorcycle.

It's generally fun to meet people this way, however I will say I occasionally have to turn a deaf ear to those who feel the need to offer unsolicited advice regarding my process. I do realize it's always well intended so I just smile & do my thing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We carry our motorcycle with us also, and I dont think I've ever loaded it or unloaded it without having someone come over to comment.

A few times their suggestions have resulted in a faster or easier way to complete the process, so I dont mind one bit!!

Great people everywhere we Camp

Pat

Every Miles A Memory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:25 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Well, our motorcycling has led us to so many great friends... Tony's competitions have introduced us to folks that have become lifetime friends, and our BMW Motorcycle rallies have also resulted in great new friends. And yes, people always are curious about bikes, so it's a great conversation starter... whether it's pulling the Trials bikes out, the Harley, or the big Beemer.

Brenda, of...
Old 12-21-2007, 05:31 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We have had a couple of unique meetings.

We were at a Monaco rally (our first) in Orlando last year. A day or two in, we were feeling a little out of place. One morning, we see a couple there that were younger than us. I said "look Ang - there are other kids here. Can we see if they want to play?". Later that afternoon, during a social, I got brave and walked over to them and said "Hi - I am Kevin and this is Angie. Can you guys come out to play?".

That was Damien and Michelle, and we spent much of the next 4 months with them.

While on the other side of the state, we were walking our brand new puppy around the RV park and I saw a license plate frame with a web site URL on it. I told Ang "hey - I think I know these guys". Instead of walking up to the door and take the risk, we went back to the coach and I sent them an email

That was Brian and Cat - they have a blog site and I had talked with Cat several times before that via email. We have kept in touch, and we are going to be attending their wedding at the end of January on a cruise to the Bahamas.

Ang and I are not big on getting ourselves out there and introducing ourselves and such, but when we do, we don't let them go

--kev

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:09 AM   #13

An friend of mine made some new friends of a couple who were standing outside the bath house when the vent window fell out of the wall to the shower stall he was using. They covered it up for him while he got dressed. Kind of broke the glass, oops ice!