Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2021, 03:09 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
What size town or city did you grow up in?

I grew up in the 50's in a small town of about 1500, if you count the dogs and cats! The police department consisted of a town marshall and a night watchman. I don't remember any serious crimes. just an occasional petty theft.

I lived about 2 1/2 miles from town, and hitch-hiked back and forth all the time, even late at night, never worrying about being harmed.

Everybody knew everybody else, and parents watched out for all the kids in the neighborhood.

OK, I'll hush and listen to your stories!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2021, 03:27 PM   #2

I grew up in a town with a large area but small population (200). There were seven towns that fed my high school and the senior class was about 65 kids. I think there were three seniors from my town (me, Colleen and JJ IIRC).
Old 11-20-2021, 03:36 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
1500, with police yet, holy cow, that's big time!
I grew up in a small town in NW Tennessee. I never knew how many people my town had, I just looked it up and it says 887. It hasn't changed much over the years, so that is probably close enough for when I was living there (I left in 1977).
We had service station (back when those places still gave service), a small grocery store (about the size of a 7/11 now) and a saw mill. After I left they built a factory where the (all) ladies sewed jackets - I don't recall who for, but it was some name brand. The factory has since closed. My sister and now ex brother in law opened a small restaurant there 20-some years ago, it's still there and ex-BIL still owns it. I stop in for a burger and to say hi when I'm in town, which isn't often.

The school had 13 grades K-12, total student count was 250, many bussed in from the 'country' outside of any town city limit. My graduating class had 12 kids, 9 boys and 3 girls. My wife's class (then girlfriend) was one of the BIG classes, they had 27.

We were WAY out in the country. When my GF and I went on a date, to go to her place, go to the theater, take her home and then go home myself was a 99 mile trip. That's not cruising the loop or anything like that, it's just going point to poin. And that was nothing, never thought anything of it, that's just what it took to 'go to town'. I got a car shortly before I left, had it for 8 months before I moved, put 16k miles on the car and never left 'home'. Cell signal is totally non-existent in a lot of places out there now, regardless of the carrier, no signal. Oddly, they just don't feel like it's worth putting towers out there.

Every Halloween the outhouse behind the service station always ended up on the roof of the service station. That, and talking about which young teenage couple just got pregnant, was all the ever happened.
Old 11-20-2021, 04:10 PM   #4

I grew up in Little York, Illinois. And it was 'little'. Population: 350.

I delivered the afternoon newspaper from one of the larger neighboring towns. Mowed quite a few lawns in town. And the local cemetery also for a few years. Made big money for a kid in those days. Shoveled a lot of snow for the senior citizens in town also, for free. We knew everyone in town. Had a lot of fun. It was a great place to grow up.
Old 11-20-2021, 04:45 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We had two drug stores in our little town, and one of them had a soda fountain. I worked in a TV repair shop across the street, and we went over there every day for a chocolate soda! My mouth waters now just thinking about how good they were! We could get a soda or milkshake for 20 cents!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 05:33 PM   #6

Grew up navy. Lived in so many place cant count.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 05:43 PM   #7

I never grew up.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:13 PM   #8

1953 Born in Vernal, UT --population 2500
by age 5 we moved to Craig CO....1 1/2 yrs later back to Vernal
1962 Moved to the big City...Casper WY population 38,000

High school was interesting....went to both
Muscle cars, cruising the strip, drive-in movies, drag racing the cops...oh yeah!

110 in graduating class

Now live in small AZ town of 12,000
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:26 PM   #9

Hi
Just read your post.
I grew up in Aledo Il and dated a girl from Little York. I live in Madison Ga now but have a brother and sister in the quad cities.
busyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:28 PM   #10

I grew up in Bardstown, Ky. the heart of bourbon country. It was about 6000 growing up, about double that now. I relocated last year to SW Indiana. I now live in a no stop-light town of about 1100.
GeorgeandTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 08:37 PM   #11

Farming community of 300, now 400-ish. Dad helped get it incorporated in the late 1950ís and was the first Mayor. My School was K through 12, a few miles away in between several small towns. My graduating class was 65 most of which started first grade with me.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:09 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Town population about 600, my great uncle was the town constable, 24 in my graduating class. Population skyrocketed to 1500 last count, bedroom community for IBM and Hormel employees.

Glenn
Old 11-20-2021, 10:44 PM   #13

Born and raised in the Salt Lake suburbs in '57. Less than 225,000 in the entire valley, less than 1.000,000 in all of UT. Now Salt Lake county has nearly 1.04 million people, UT nearly 3 million.
I have watched the Kennecot copper mine tear down 3 entire mountains in my lifetime. The Great Salt Lake has lost nearly 1/3 its area.
The prettiest rural farming and ranching towns you'd ever want to see, Draper and Herriman, have turned into HOA hell-towns, not fit to live in.
The last live pheasant i saw in this valley was about 15 years ago when my old dog Roscoe chased one up on the canal road.
And the air has become unbreathable. If I want to live beyond age 70, I have to move away from my family.
Old 11-20-2021, 11:19 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
I grew up in a small farming community of under 50, includingthe kids. Bused to school grades 1 to 12. Every family got along and helped each other. I remember how happy the neighbours were when we came in 1953. My dad had a chainsaw! He helped cut ice blocks from the river for the whole community for our iceboxes. We didn't get power until 1957, but we did have gravity fed running water.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow