Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: What type person are you ? (READ TEXT FIRST)
A) Come to a complete stop 40 51.28%
B) Do a rolling stop 31 39.74%
C) Wait for approval to go after stopping 1 1.28%
D) Run over the stop sign 6 7.69%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2018, 06:05 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
What type Personality are you??

TAKE THE POLL, BUT READ THE TEXT FIRST..

You are driving down a two lane road out in the middle of a desert. One of those roads that says "NEXT GAS, 100 MILES".

Way up ahead you see what looks like a cross road, As you get closer you see its a cross road intersection with a four way stop sign.

What do you do?

A) Come to a full stop, look left, look right, then proceed through the intersection.

B) As you approach, you slow down and look both ways, you don't see any cars on the road for 20 miles in any direction, so you drive through the intersection without stopping.

C) You come to the stop sign and stop. You wait there until someone tells you its ok to proceed.

D) You see the stop sign ahead. You sigh, "How dare someone tell me what to do", so you smash into the sign, flattening it as you drive through the intersection.

D-1) There is a subset of D, they drive over the sign, then stop, put it in reverse, and drive over it again just to make sure.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2018, 09:38 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Normally I come to a complete stop at any stop sign, but in the middle of the desert with no traffic (or cops) visible for 20 miles, yes, I'll slow down and roll through!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:54 AM   #3

There is a Toyota plant in a town near us. Like all big manufacturers they have a traffic light out front that quickly switches to allow their people priority at the intersection. It drives my wife nuts that after I stop and verify there is nobody leaving the plant, I run the red light rather than sit and wait for it to cycle through to green.
I recognize that lights and signs are safety devices and shouldn't be ignored. I don't ignore them, but I also recognize that ultimately, I am my own best safety device.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:59 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
It drives my wife nuts that after I stop and verify there is nobody leaving the plant, I run the red light rather than sit and wait for it to cycle through to green.
I do this also... Don't tell anyone..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
TAKE THE POLL, BUT READ THE TEXT FIRST..

You are driving down a two lane road out in the middle of a desert. One of those roads that says "NEXT GAS, 100 MILES".

Way up ahead you see what looks like a cross road, As you get closer you see its a cross road intersection with a four way stop sign.

What do you do?

A) Come to a full stop, look left, look right, then proceed through the intersection.

B) As you approach, you slow down and look both ways, you don't see any cars on the road for 20 miles in any direction, so you drive through the intersection without stopping.

C) You come to the stop sign and stop. You wait there until someone tells you its ok to proceed.

D) You see the stop sign ahead. You sigh, "How dare someone tell me what to do", so you smash into the sign, flattening it as you drive through the intersection.

D-1) There is a subset of D, they drive over the sign, then stop, put it in reverse, and drive over it again just to make sure.

I stop, I got a ticket once in the middle of the country for doing that, the sheriff was hiding behind a corn field.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:29 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm type A. Driving in general and RVing in particular has many risks. Solid defensive driving skills is the only I'm still alive today! Safety is in part depended upon following safe procedures every time. Pilots use check lists for every flight, at least the older ones do. Starting to cut corners in one case can easily lead to getting sloppy and cutting corners in more cases and in the end... it happens.

I want to keep RVing for a long time.

Best of luck to the other types.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:55 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Voted for a rolling stop. However I did this once in a huge shopping center at 2 am after leaving a restaurant. Not a car within 300 yards of me. So when I rolled through I thought I saw some lightening. Nope was a traffic camera looking for me Luckily I was in a rental car that I had rented with my Dominican driver's license and Dominican Address. So never saw a ticket.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:18 AM   #8

I'm with the legal crowd for the same reasons already listed.

Speed limits, well that's a slightly different story. I've never had a ticket for ignoring a stop, but I've had a few for the other thing. I wouldn't consider it reckless driving, but going a few miles over the limit where I thought it was safe to do so. Perhaps that started while I was in the Navy when there was always a long way to go and a short time to get there.

Defensive driving is the key to safety, at least in my mind.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:26 AM   #9
GBB

Complete stop here.
GBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:27 AM   #10
Community Administrator

A , for me.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:28 AM   #11

I come to a complete stop cause I am still looking for the sign that points which direction is that GAS
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:42 AM   #12

As a pilot, you FAILED to mention to LOOK UP! Twice in my adult life, I've been pulled over down the road by a waiting state highway patrolman who shared with me their aircraft had been monitoring my speed in one case and failure to come to a complete stop in another case.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:07 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Up up and in the sky- yep. But that's not the only thing law enforcement aircraft will see and get you for. Some law enforcement aircraft are rigged and FAA permitted to operate in the total dark up there, only red cabin lights on. You won't even see their nav lights. Its amazing what you can see from such an aircraft.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:25 PM   #14

I'm either B or E - What is E, you ask ?

E- Stop your RV, get out and take a picture of the sunset/sunrise...

That'd be me, if the timing was right..
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote