Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2015, 06:34 PM   #1

What's the most trouble you have been in...

... in a campground?

Reading another post about someone complaining "unjustified" about a campground it reminded me of a time when I had an issue and was wondering what others have gotten themselves into.. or out of, lol..

Mine..

Playing loud music at 2:30 in the afternoon!!! I know, I'm a regular campground convict! But come on, it was Kenny Chesney, not to mention that I turned it up at the request of my neighbor. I would have been happy to turn it down if the "other neighbor" two spots down had simply asked me to do so... but noooo.. Instead I got the gestapo called on me. It must of been nap time!

So who else has been on the wrong side of the law?
Boostable is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2015, 06:38 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I got my first speeding ticket in 30 years earlier this year (new, much quieter, more powerful MH and I let it go on a downhill run in CA), then had my first chargeable accident since high school last month. I'm 68, almost 69
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:53 PM   #3

We pulled into a private campground well after dark thirty. The sign on the large bulletin board indicated " take any unoccupied site #5 through 15. Follow signs to camp area." We drove down this really dark road and came to a "Y" in the road. Right there at the junction was a sign that indicated "Campground". No arrow or further directions. My daddy always said "When in doubt turn right" so I did. Shortly we realized we were going the wrong way since all of the campsite were angled wrong for us to back in. Not to worry, I pulled into a empty site frontwards and set up for the night. Next morning as I was eating breakfast a golf cart pulled up and this "gentleman" jumped out yelling something like "you dumb-ass what do you think you are doing"? I looked around to see who was getting chewed out only to figure out he was talking to me!

He got louder and louder until I stood up and asked him to leave. He said in a language that would make a sailor blush he was going to call the police and have me arrested because I drove into the site the wrong way! Then his big bony finger started to come my way and I said "if you touch me I will have you arrested for assault" and took my phone out to call the local police department. He turned and got into his golf cart and headed right to the office. So I grabbed my cereal bowl and walked there arriving just as the owner was saying to the gentleman "you did what? You better leave before the police arrive and arrest you!"

Turned out the "gentleman" was the brother in law and wasn't playing with a full deck. The owner was trying to help him out with a job. He offered me a free night, but I refused and said "just give the $50 camp fee to a charity of your choice.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:26 PM   #4

I was at a state park campground and there was this guy and his son that continually walked through my site, and I mean through it.. like between my lawn chair and a picnic table that was like 10' from the side of my rig. They never even looked at me or acknowledged that I was there. The second day and on one of their many trips through I introduced myself and said, as long as you are gonna walk through my site we may as well get to know each other and sit down and have a beer. His remark; "It's a free country and I can walk anywhere I want"! I replied "that may be true, but for now I have this site rented and it's very poor manners to walk through someone's site" He says "like I said I can walk anywhere I want". Me: "Well then, how about an ass whoopin, and it's free too" - About 20 minutes later a park ranger came and asked me if I had threatened someone. I told him that I had not threatened, but had made a promise. He just said please don't do that in my park and that he had told the other guy to use the sidewalk, but if there was any trouble that we would both be asked to leave the park. I thanked him and offered him a cold beer, but of course he declined, thanked me and left.
ThinBlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:19 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
I think the biggest issue that I got into once was at Yellowstone. Was just a tent camper at the time and had just moved from one campground to another on the other side of the park. I just assumed that at that time all campgrounds had the same procedures. The one that I had been at first was a "pick and empty site", then register. The second one apparently like to assign campspaces. I not realizing this, just picked a site and decided to set up the tent first before registering. As luck would have it, the office decided to assign this space to someone coming in. I sent the DW up to the office to sort it out. I would have gladly moved if they had requested it being in the wrong but whomever was in the office decided they would much rather berate and be rude to my partner to the point where she came back crying. Oh, we could stay in the space (there was lots of room in the CG at the time), all they did was give the other camper another spot (big deal right?). Anyways, I just let it be, my DW (girlfriend really) was one of those blubbery types so I wasn't all that unused to seeing her cry. I might have been relieved that for once it wasn't me that made her cry.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:26 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
It wasn't really a big deal, but one year on our way back from down south we travelled the route 93 through Nevada.
We were tired when we got to Jackpot Nevada and it was 4:00 in the afternoon so we pulled into a little RV park. The weather was nice all day but the wind came up in the afternoon.
One of our dogs woke me up at 5:00 in the morning and I realized that the coach was rocking in the wind. I went to take her out and opened the door and there was over a foot of snow that fell. There were snow drifts 2 feet high around the coach.
We were there till 11:00 that morning until a fellow with a quad plowed out a trail for us to get out.
Once we left there it was bad roads until we got to Twin Falls Idaho. The lesson learned there was don't stop in Jackpot for the night if the weather is iffy.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:54 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Same type of story up in Canada assigned site power was not working so ran a line to vacant site adjacent.
Park idjit says not allowed. Uh huh so give us another spot with power as paid for. Nope were full. Left the next day never to return and told 6 others.
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 02:08 AM   #8

Place- some state campground in central/southern Oregon with lots of water falls...
Time- 5-6 years ago...
Scene- picnic table playing cards with my grandkids; laughing and having a ball; not being loud at all; no alcohol involved, nearest camping neighbor about 40 yards away...
Time- nine-thirty/tenish... just about bed-time for the young ones ...
State park cop- "Sir- you need to have everybody keep the noise down- YOU ARE TOO LOUD!"
Me- "Officer, we're just having fun with our family and" (cut off in mid-sentence)
State cop while pointing his finger at me- "Sir- if you open your mouth one more time, you're going to jail!"
Me- to myself, "never coming back here again!"
Scene- next morning-- packing up and getting out of there never to return again! Eegads!
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:34 PM   #9
doc

Appalachian Campers
Not been in trouble (yet) but had two incidents were we had to take minor action.

Woke up one morning with 3 drunk kids in a first come-first served CG we were hosting. I went over to collect the fees and they informed us it was a free camping weekend. "Nope - free fishing weekend. " "Well we ain't got no money" They actually showed me their wallet.
How did you get here? "In that truck", pointing to an older PU parked nearby. Me - "you drove all the way from Wyoming in that truck, with no money?" They said it was free (not sure who 'they' were) They were too messed up to drive and we let them stay long enough to sober up and get straight. I have not idea whether or not they made it back to Wyoming or not but they were confident they could get back home.

Had a set of parents, maybe in their 30's, driving around the park and allowing their 8-10 year old child to hang on the side of the SUV, standing on the side bars. They could not see what was wrong with that since they were driving slow. Finally told them they could do it any where they wanted to, but not at any CG I was in charge because I did not want to have to see another child with his skull split lying on an asphalt roadway. These guys looked sorta funny and then apologized and said it would not happen again. Made pretty good guests after that little pow wow.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
Me- "Officer, we're just having fun with our family and" (cut off in mid-sentence)
State cop while pointing his finger at me- "Sir- if you open your mouth one more time, you're going to jail!"
tdst, knowing myself and my innate snarkiness, I would have pinched my lips closed and replied something about "just playing cards and being 40 yards from nearest campers and is there a curfew?"

How do you think that would had gone over with this gentleman? Do you think I would have gone to jail? I respect LEOs but that's a little overboard.