Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2002, 02:32 PM   #1
DJ

Back a few years ago when this site first started someone asked the question "What do you do?" or something like that. When we go camping we meet people from all walks of life that we probably wouldn't meet otherwise. It was also interesting to hear about the people we talk with on the web everyday as well.

I, Dave, work for the US Postal service. (Go ahead, make the jokes, I've heard them all ) I am a Heating and Air Conditioning Tech as well as do other maintenance things that need doing. I have 9 buildings I take care of. I've been camping for as long as I can remember. My parents are now fulltimers living in their 14th RV that I can recall.

Pam works for the Connecticut Dept of Correction as a food service supervisor. She has a culinary arts degree (Dave has the stomach to prove it! ) and landed in the prison after too many corporate chef jobs dissapeared with the cut backs in the northeast. The prison job was supposed to be temporary, that was 8 years ago. With 12 to go before full retirement it's too good to give up. She started camping because of me, and hasn't looked back since.

Hershey, the chocolate lab, goes where we do. She makes no money, but has alot of fun!

How about everyone else?

99.5 Ford F-250SC 4x4 Powerstroke Diesel
99 Golden Falcon 25 MGT Fifth Wheel.

Hershey

DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2002, 02:32 PM   #2
DJ

Back a few years ago when this site first started someone asked the question "What do you do?" or something like that. When we go camping we meet people from all walks of life that we probably wouldn't meet otherwise. It was also interesting to hear about the people we talk with on the web everyday as well.

I, Dave, work for the US Postal service. (Go ahead, make the jokes, I've heard them all ) I am a Heating and Air Conditioning Tech as well as do other maintenance things that need doing. I have 9 buildings I take care of. I've been camping for as long as I can remember. My parents are now fulltimers living in their 14th RV that I can recall.

Pam works for the Connecticut Dept of Correction as a food service supervisor. She has a culinary arts degree (Dave has the stomach to prove it! ) and landed in the prison after too many corporate chef jobs dissapeared with the cut backs in the northeast. The prison job was supposed to be temporary, that was 8 years ago. With 12 to go before full retirement it's too good to give up. She started camping because of me, and hasn't looked back since.

Hershey, the chocolate lab, goes where we do. She makes no money, but has alot of fun!

How about everyone else?

99.5 Ford F-250SC 4x4 Powerstroke Diesel
99 Golden Falcon 25 MGT Fifth Wheel.

Hershey

DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 03:09 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
I'm John and I work for a large communications company. I'm in a Business Internet and IP Services Organization. I work in a group that creates the procedures for how various services are to be implemented. These services are mostly router based which include security features (firewalls, intrusion detection, etc), Voice over IP (aka VoIP), and internet access redundancy. To date the largest network I've implemented is over 500 locations (routers) worldwide. I was also a volunteer Firefighter for 15 years. Made it to the rank of Deputy Chief. Finally decided to backoff and let the young-ins take over a few years ago.

My wife Joyce works for the same company. She reviews the contracts that our sales teams submit to insure that they are selling something that can be both implemented and supported after implementation. After approval the sales folks can go get the required signatures.

In addition to camping, Joyce and I love motorcycling. We spend many a Sunday out on our Harley Davidson Ultra Classic (Big Blue) cruising thru western NJ and eastern PA. We make annual treks to Lake George, NY and usually one weekend in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. I am President on our local Chapter (NJ-5) of the Red Knights Int'l Firefighter Motorcycle Club.

Our Dalmatian Ember goes everywhere we go. We have to be careful because all we have to do is say the word "camping" and she is at the door waiting.

I've got 5 years to retirement, Joyce has 7. When she retires we plan on traveling America state by state for a few years. We'll then figure out which state we want to live in and then move there.

-------------------------------
1998 Wilderness 275T 5th Wheel Trailer - FOR SALE contact me for info
1999 Ford F-250 PSD Automatic.

On Order - 2002 Kountry Star 30RKCL
Our Home Page

88 - Robert Yates Racing - 28

[This message was edited by K-Star (John) on January 09, 2002 at 08:17 PM.]
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 03:47 PM   #4

My name is Bill and I have lived in the same town all my life. Pat has lived on LI all her life also. We have 2 boys 10 and 12 and started camping again this year. We used to tent camp on the ocean beach with friends and I had a slide in years ago. We are both teachers. I teach 7th and 8th grade Technology Education and Pat teaches 3rd grade this year.
I have been a Service Writer and Parts Counterman for a Cat dealer here and a Parts Manager for a Case Factory store. I taught for 4 years and got excessed every year and went into this line of work. It was interesting. They sold the factory store and I didn't like the atmosphere the new owners brought with them and went back to teaching eight years ago.
We mostly camp on LI and in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. This summer we plan to camp at Fort Wilderness.

2001 Dodge Quad Cab
2000 Shasta Flite 241RBSL
Reese 15k Hitch
Crossroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 04:09 PM   #5

My name is Gary and my wifes name is Nina. I have camped for over 35 years and my wife for 25 years. Tent camped for 20 years before moving up to a popup. After a couple of popups we bought our current Carri-Lite 35' 5er.

I am a Senior Instrument and Controls Technician for a power plant. We take care of all instruments and controls that operate the 11 story boilers. My wife quit working in retail and is now taking care of our two grandchildren while the parents work.

2000 35' Carri Lite fifth wheel with triple slideouts. Rear living room with a 20' awning.
99.5 Ford PSD crewcab Dually.
Old 01-09-2002, 04:24 PM   #6

My name is Margo and I am the Credit Manager of a wholesale building supply company in with 6 branches in the midwest. My husband, Tom, has been disabled after suffering a stroke in 1994. His prior occupation was in building and construction, remodeling, and all the wiring, plumbing, that went along with it. He was hurt on the job and while working on him, had a stroke. Our children are grown, one married, the other to be married in April. No grandchildren yet. Our plan is to go fulltime within the next year.
The planning is half the fun!
Margo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 04:31 PM   #7

You can learn all about me by visiting my web site if you understand a bit of French.

To make a long story short, I'm retired from the Federal Goverment where I was employed at the Unemployment Insurance Commision ( similar to your Social Security ). Mainly worked as an investigator and an insurance officer. The last years, I was reponsible for making decisions on labour dispute cases. My wife, Joyce, was a French teacher. We live in Montreal.

I retired in 1993 at age 52 after 36 years of service and I'm happy as a fish in water.

I discovered camping with my second wife ( I st one died ) about 15 years ago. Started like many people with a popup, small trailers, a class C and now with an unpaid class A

I have many web sites on camping and I'm learning every day through this forum.

I'm no expert... just a happy camper brushing up on his English by participating.

Other past times are music ( organ player ) and computers.

We feel very lucky to have decent pensions and healt to enjoy life.

Our MH is based in a campground as we are seasonal campers and we need a place to park our rig. But, we travel at least 8 weeks per year. With the exchange rate for US $, can't afford to pay you a visit :-(( We spend the winter at home

94 Firan Raven 31Ft. P30, partly paid for :-)
Visit my web sites ( in French ) at http://www3.sympatico.ca/galant/messites.html
My English is not up to par :-((

Visit my web sites ( in French ) at https://www3.sympatico.ca/galant/messites.html
JG Gallant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 05:47 PM   #8

We live in beautiful southern Oregon, but I (Nancy) was born and raised in Massachusetts and my husband, Roy, is a Hoosier. We lived for 12 years about 28 miles from Chicago in Indiana until we moved here in 1978.
We are both self-employed and Uncle Sam has enough of our money to prove it. We work very hard for very little, but it allows us to get out of town early on Friday for our RV life, which we are able to do all year long. I have had a medical transcription business out of my home now for 7 years after working in different medical offices for 5 years, which was after I raised my daughter. I also provide work for her so she can stay home with her children (that makes it worth it).
Until next week, Roy is/was a Mac Tools distributor. They told him he owned his own business (and we mortgaged our house to buy it), but then told him where to go, what to sell, etc., so now he is going out on his own choosing what to sell and whom to see. Before that he was the best service technician in town (for Ford). He can still diagnose almost anything, just can't work on it because he has severe arthritis in his wrists.
We both would love to retire if the economy would let us, but we have to pay for the RV and other necessities of life, so we have about 10 more years to go.
Hope to see some of you on our weekend adventures. Nancy

2001 F250 Lariat powerstroke diesel 4 X 4 crew cab
2000 Komfort 26SK 5th wheel
Old 01-09-2002, 08:22 PM   #9

Steve's a construction superintendent for Davidon Homes. Works 2 miles from home at the latest job site. Jill is a community college Math instructor at the local college. We travel with a baseball playing first grader and a preschool gymnast. We only tent camped three times this summer and then immediately moved up to our 23 - 28 foot Sportsmen TT. Just booked a 10 day trip along the California beaches for this summer. Can't wait!
Old 01-09-2002, 11:56 PM   #10

I have camped all my life. My wife, Linda, was in a hunting camp before she was a year old. After we were married we backpacked a lot in the Sierras. When the kids came along we tent camped, camped in a Dodge Maxivan, then TT, even used her dad's truck camper. Then a tent trailer, a class C, and now the Bounder.
I work in the power house of a paper mill in Antioch. This is shift work so we only get one weekend a month off, but at least it's a four day weekend . Linda is a bookkeeper, but she says she "is semi retired", only doing bookkeeping for our church now.
Soon heading for Quartzsite and Yuma for a couple of weeks.
Loren

'97 Bounder, 32',Chevy 454; ipd, Bilsteins, Air Lift, Banks
'97 Ford Explorer in tow.
Old 01-10-2002, 02:52 AM   #11

We be next

Jim here. I have worked for a major toy company, owned computer sales and service company and now I work for the Federal Government. I've got 23 years military and 18 years federal service. Sally (better half) is an office manager/Bookkeeper for a local plumbing and heating company.

We started camping 10 years ago when I came home with a 1976 Lindy class C. Sold that and got a 1986 Georgie Boy 28' class A. Two years ago we acquired a 1996 Residency 35' class A.

I've got 690 days to retirement (Dec 2003) then we hit the road. We have already started to sell off "junk" and getting ready for full timing. Our motto is "If it won't fit in the RV we don't need it".

Jim & Sally
95 Redsidency by Thor
Good Sam Life Member
FMCA F289973

Jim (KC2JJQ) & Sally
Jimbo8264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 03:03 AM   #12

I'm Jon. I work for NASA. I have a wife and 4 kids ages 5,9,13 and 16. We have a 31' Class C. We pull an 88 Dodge minivan. We took an 8 week vacation this year and visited a lot of National Parks out west. My oldest son and I hiked into and out of the Grand Canyon. The boys and I also tent camp with the Royal Rangers. We're attempting to camp in all the 48 states.

1999 Tioga 31T on Ford E450 Chassis
Old 01-10-2002, 04:13 AM   #13

I'm Millie, hubbie is Dick. I am office manager for the Houston branch of a nationwide wholesale distributer. Dick is a Project leader in Tech Services for Sysco Foods. Missy, the black cat, doesn't work, she just travels.
We will be retiring May 30, 2004 and going full time. Can hardly wait.
Our first experience with camping was in 1972, when Dick conned me into a 20' Go-Tag-Along trailer. From then on we were hooked. Can hardly wait to get out of the sticks and bricks house. So far we have been in 35 of the 50 states. Hope to see them all. We have owned the trailer, one motor home and are on our third 5th wheel.

F550 4DR CC DUALLY W/FONTAINE BED
2001 40' Travel Supreme 5er with triple slides -Fulltime in 2004!
www.rv-thereyet.com

2001 40' Travel Supreme 5er with triple slides -Fulltime with Missy and Ming (Furbabies)
Millie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 04:19 AM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
I am Rick and work as the IT Manager for Strategic Communications Services ( a wireless services provider). I have been in the IT industry since the late 70's (when punch cards were still king).

My wife, Deb, is a special education teacher.

Daugter, Abbie, heads to college next fall to major in child psychology. Her interests include music and theater.

Son, Chris, is in 9th grade. His claim to fame is his leg. He is the kicker and punter on the football team and has kicked a 63 yard field goal in practice. Waiting for the chance to do it in a game. He aspires to play for Michigan and eventually the NFL.

I have been camping/RVing since 1959. My wife and I camped for our honeymoon. When the kids were young we committed to visiting all 48 continental states by the time the were out of high school. We accomplished this goal in 2000 when we visited Washington, Idaho and Oregon.

Join me and others in the chat room on Wed. nites at 9:00 PM Eastern for a great time of cyber-campfire chatter.

RKamperRV...(Rick)...Lancaster, PA
1996 Wilderness 29S
2001 Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Bed
27,000 miles and counting. This TRUCK is awesome!!!

Been to all 48 continental states!
--- P* Alumni ---
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote