RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2020, 03:12 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Wheelcare Mobility Scooter for disabled

I'm just taking a chance that someone on this forum may know where I can get a battery charger for my Wheelcare Superlight Mobility Scooter. The charger required is a 24 volt charger with a RCA type connector that plugs into the charging port of the scooter. It is not an XLR, 3-pin connector which is used by most mobility scooters. The Wheelcare company is out of business, and a new charger is unavailable. I've searched the internet, and I've called mobility scooter parts distributors nationwide. I have found nothing and have followed up on all suggestions I received. Perhaps there is someone on this forum who knows where a used charger for my scooter might be available. Thanks. Komac

komac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2020, 03:22 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by komac View Post
I'm just taking a chance that someone on this forum may know where I can get a battery charger for my Wheelcare Superlight Mobility Scooter. The charger required is a 24 volt charger with a RCA type connector that plugs into the charging port of the scooter. It is not an XLR, 3-pin connector which is used by most mobility scooters. The Wheelcare company is out of business, and a new charger is unavailable. I've searched the internet, and I've called mobility scooter parts distributors nationwide. I have found nothing and have followed up on all suggestions I received. Perhaps there is someone on this forum who knows where a used charger for my scooter might be available. Thanks. Komac
321 752 4051
Mobility medical in
Melbourne FL
They sell and service all brands.
Russ Silber

Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:09 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you Russ. I did call them last week. They were very helpful, but could not offer a solution except to suggest that I find a used one. I could buy a 24 volt charger from them with the correct amperage, but the male charging port (a three-pin, XLR connector) does not match the charging receptor on my scooter. The only way I can charge the batteries (two 12volt batteries connected in series to make 24 volts) is to take them out and charge them one at a time with a 12 volt float charger. Removing the batteries from the scooter is about a three-step procedure, and the charging process will be long. Thanks again. Komac
Old 05-17-2020, 07:41 PM   #4

buy 24 volt charger

Why don't you buy a 24 volt charger, attach a charging tail to your batteries, leave it hang out and plug in the charger when you need to charge your batteries. I think is should work,
Ed Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:47 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks, Ed. That idea might work. I'll just have to figure out how to do it. The two batteries are located under a fiberglass cover below the operator's seat. Each battery is connected to the scooter motor and operating controls by a plugged-in wiring cable running through the chassis of the scooter on both the left and right sides. Each battery is covered at the connection side by a special fiberglass shield that straps to the battery and protects the connections. It might be that I could thread some wires around the connection plugs and into the fiberglass shields. I could use those wires for charging. Another way I've thought of is to remove the control panel at the front of the scooter, then take out the charging port, disconnect it and use those wires for charging. The best option still is to find a used battery charger with the correct charging port. I know there were hundreds made and many of them are probably gathering dust in someone's garage. Another option is to just give up and buy another scooter, but they are quite expensive. Again, many thanks. Komac
Old 05-18-2020, 11:15 AM   #6

Connect the wires to the battery posts. Take the cover off the batteries connect the wires to the posts, leaving enough tail to reach out from under the cover, and use that to connect the charger to. Just like charging a battery.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:58 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you Ed. That sounds like the best idea yet. A question about how to proceed: The two batteries are internally connected in series through the wiring harness of the scooter. Do you suggest that I connect two wires from each battery, one from the negative post and the other from the positive post with the result that I would have four wires protruding from the battery cover? To charge then, I would simply tie the negatives together and the positives together and then clip the battery charger on the twisted pairs? Or, better yet, could I solder the protruding negatives together and the positives together, attach insulated connection points and then use those points to charge the batteries? That would greatly simplify things and solve the problem. Give me your thoughts on this. Thanks. Komac
Old 05-20-2020, 12:32 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
OK, I've solved the problem, thanks to Russ and Ed. What I did is find the wires in the battery wiring harnesses that are used by the charger to charge the batteries. I attached insulated connection points to those wires and can now connect my 24 Volt battery maintenance charger to those points with alligator clips. The system works fine. I'd still like to find a a regular Wheelcare charger. Thanks Ed. Your suggestion led me to the solution. Komac

Tags
disabled, led, mobility, scooter