Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2020, 06:01 PM   #57

Retired in 2002 at age 52 Haven't worked for a dime since and been busier than ever. I can't imagine how I ever found the time to go to work. Haven't been still for more than an hour since I quit working. Well, except for recovery time after treatments and surgeries but that's another story. Loving every minute.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2020, 06:23 PM   #58

If you can afford it and aren't one of those people who can't imagine not working (you wouldn't be asking the question if you were), go for it. And, in terms of affording it, medical insurance is one of the biggest barriers for those retiring before they're eligible for Medicare.

As for me, I retired at 59, contracted back, working part time from home for a couple of years, before cutting the cord completely. As a part time contractor, my stress level was much, much less than when I was working full time. I was able to get medical coverage through my wife's employment for a couple of years. Then she retired and I had to bridge the gap to the tune of $800+/mo until I turned 65. My wife's was a disability retirement so she qualified for Medicare from day-one.

I'll be 74 in December and have absolutely no regrets. Like others, I don't know how I ever had time to work and the idea of going someplace to work for 8-10 hours a day seems crazy.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:31 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee 45 View Post
7 months
8 days
6 hours
58 minutes
40 seconds
But...who's counting!

When I decided to retire, I set my work computer to display a screen saver that show my time left in the office. Along the top was the X months, X Days, X minutes....but right in the middle of the screen in BIG numbers was the countdown to the tenth of a second. Those numbers flew by annoying my boss so much that when ever I was out of the office he would unplug my computer screen just so he wouldn't have to watch it!

On the flip side, my secretary at 81 years old is still working , not because she has to, but because she is terrified of retirement. She commented the other day she will probably die sitting in her office chair!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:42 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I retired in 1999 at 59 years old. The DW and I worked for the same company. They were going to have a reduction in force, we volunteered. Got a nice package,
retired on the same day. Still enjoying it.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:50 PM   #61

I retired in 2008 when MegaCorp overreacted to the economic times and "retired" every employee 55 and older. They paid out the nose to get rid of us. Thankfully I had a RHSA account that paid for my and my wife's healthcare until age 65 when Medicare took over.

Best thing to happen to us. All I've done is move people around--parents, aunts, myself--since retiring. We also head to Europe every Spring--except 2020. And we're raising a 9 year old granddaughter that takes up all our time.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:58 PM   #62

The saying around the airlines is "When you've got enough and have had enough, retire."
Old 08-31-2020, 08:00 PM   #63

I retired almost 10 years ago at age 53 and 13 days. I could have retired on my birthday, and I regret wasting 2 weeks of my retirement. I told everyone that I just wanted 10 good years of retirement. Now, as I'm approaching that 10 year mark I want to renegotiate!

From my early 20's I knew I wanted to retire as early as possible. To do that I knew I had to work hard and save lots. Most of my working life I worked 2 jobs. I studied hard to promote at my main job and make as much money as I could for the hours I was going to be there. With some of the money I purchased the things I wanted for retirement paying cash as I went for the motorhome and boat. Of course the house was paid off well before then.

My wifes job allowed her to retire at age 55 so she did. Since she's slightly older than I am, this worked perfectly. She retired a year before me.

Now we live off our pensions, SS, and medical insurance annuity we planned for in advance. Life is good. Plan ahead. Save money. Enjoy retirement.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:08 PM   #64

When I retired I was a bit restless. I bought a company turned it around and sold it after 10 or so years. It was a situation where I was burnt out. Financially I am frugal and my wife and I were set financially but it was a difficult decision.

I would say it took 3 years to get fully relaxed to the situation. I was anxious from time to time but found setting goals at home helped. Accomplish one thing per day etc.

My retirement is what pointed us to our motorhome . I traveled for work but didn't fully enjoy.

Now the kicker to the story is that I am now 49 and stopped working at 43. So I think I had different challenges, the 3 year acclimation is a good guide of you were in a busy pace environment.

Good luck.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:08 PM   #65

43 years old. Quit working at a major hotel after 22 years and now let Peg support me.
Raised our kids and cooked the meals
I do things for friends to keep me busy and pay for my beer
Al Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:16 PM   #66

Shut the business doors January 31st 2020.
Got tired of the 70+ hrs a week. On that day we flew to Vancouver heading for New Zealand. Spent a month there and had a great time. We were very concerned that we would be stranded by the international air lines shutting down.
Great place to be stranded though.
I'm 74 and intend to spend at least the next 10 years exploring North America. After that, well who cares. Rent a seniors apartment or keep on RVing.
Must admit the c-19 has crimped our plans somewhat.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:24 PM   #67

I retired from Frito Lay in 2017, when I was one month shy of 58yrs old. I had a stroke in 2015 and after spending 2 weeks in ICU, I realized I'd had enough . Went back to work for a year and a half and took that time to get things in order and ready for retirement . I left one day after my 31yr anniversary . The wife retired at the same time. We've lived every minute of retirement.
Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:45 PM   #68

Retired at 53 in 2008. A career of 12-hr rotating shifts and stress of nuclear electrical generation operations took it toll and had to take a medical retirement. Ever since day 1, I’ve NEVER been bored. DW retired in ‘15 at 56. Since that day one we’ve NEVER been bored. Grandkids, friends, RV, boating, snowmobiling, hunting, farm land, old tractors, lake shore, list goes on. We love life!!!
If you have the opportunity to retire, go for it. Time to take SS is a personal choice, 1M people will have 1M different reasons.
Retirement is what you make it. Life gives you lots of things if you just look but the one thing it doesn’t give you......is more time. Peace
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:07 PM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I retired at 46 from AT&T because if I kept working I was headed for a heart attack or stroke. I then worked as an outside contractor for AT&T until 55. I had no plans to stop but my Dad passed away and I took a break to take care of his estate. After 3 or 4 months I realized I had no desire to work for anyone again. I remodeled our house, I remodeled my son's house, I remodeled my daughter's condo and then did construction projects for friends until the body told me it had enough. I have been retired for 20 years now and have no regrets!

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:14 PM   #70

We both retired in 2013 at 50 and 55 the kids were all grown and had their careers home was paid for we were debt free so we decided to retire and have not had one regret. Each of us has a nice pension coming in and we own some rental properties that pays for our health insurance and provides us traveling money. We've done 2 coast to coast trips and and lots of shorter trips, currently on a month long trip now just enjoying life. My advise to anyone trying to make the retirement decesion is if you can afford it don't put it off, life is too short and things can change in an instant. Safe travels.
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote