Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #253

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
I retired at 70, I loved my work, am slow to age, and the SS benefit for waiting is much more than you get retiring as soon as you can. We live comfortably with no regrets. Retirement is boring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainerBob View Post
DW is going to be 63 and I am going to be 60, both in September. My question is When did you retire?

What led up to the decision to retire, forced retirement, decided enough was enough, hit your financial retirement goal, etc.

Did you regret retiring when you did? If so, should you have retired sooner or later?

Any insights would be appreciated. Financially, we can do it. Our fear is that after working for the last 40+ years we are not sure what to expect that 1st morning when there are no emails to respond to can no calls to return. Logically, we know it will be awesome. However, our concerns are more on the emotional side of hanging it up.

Thanks in advanced for your input.

Bob
Hangfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2020, 03:50 PM   #254

Hello. We too live in Allen. We are both retired. We have a 2016 Coachmen Leprechaun. We would love to correspond with you. Will & Susan
1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:50 PM   #255

Lord willin' and the creek don't rise - I plan to retire at age 70. I am currently 65 and I like what I do for a living, and the pay, benefits and health insurance are the best I have ever had in a 43 yr career.
MikenDebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:33 PM   #256

Retirement Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainerBob View Post
DW is going to be 63 and I am going to be 60, both in September. My question is When did you retire?

What led up to the decision to retire, forced retirement, decided enough was enough, hit your financial retirement goal, etc.

Did you regret retiring when you did? If so, should you have retired sooner or later?

Any insights would be appreciated. Financially, we can do it. Our fear is that after working for the last 40+ years we are not sure what to expect that 1st morning when there are no emails to respond to can no calls to return. Logically, we know it will be awesome. However, our concerns are more on the emotional side of hanging it up.

Thanks in advanced for your input.

Bob
I retired at age 57 I am now 71. Still in great health. Had several rental houses that I enjoyed working on. I had the money I didn't need to work I just did it because I thought it was the right thing to do. Now I have more money and I have suddenly realized time is running out. There are a lot of things I wanted to do and I realize I don't have the time to do them. I wish I had sold the houses earlier. If you can afford to retire go for it!
Rodger_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:42 PM   #257

Been retired for three years in December

I managed to retire at the ripe old age of 57

Sick of the rat race , sold our home and have travelled the length and breadth of this fine country .45000 miles sice march 2018

Long story short found land and built a home in UTAH best decision EVER ..7.5 hour drive to see two grandkids , 9 hours to see the other two and 16 hours to see the other grandkid ..willing and able to drive to see them all

Retire young if you can afford to dont wait to be nearly dead before you retire

Be safe out there we have been social distancing since March 2018 travelling does that
promaster18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:58 PM   #258

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
If you can afford it retire now, there are no guarantees any of us have tomorrow. There will be an adjustment period for sure, but do the things you want to do while you're still healthy.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:57 AM   #259

Ahh yes, retirement started working when I was 14 yrs old & I just kept going. I retired sooner than I ever thought I would, in 2006 at age 51. I still had ( have ) good years left however, struggling along from injuries I received in 2001 during the course of my employment, I managed to tough it out for 5 more years until 2006 when the injuries from 2001 started to flare up more & more over the 5 year period until 2006 when some of those injuries I incurred started to make their presence noticed more and more.
I should and do feel fortunate to have survived the events of that day but those injuries changed the plans I had for my future. I missed getting hurt and/ or killed twice that day but as they say the third time is a charm & maybe it IS a charm that I was only injured and not killed on that third event. I mean when you miss being injured or killed 3 times that day in less than a 4 hour period that's too close for comfort, but survive I did. The first 2 events had I still been there when they happened i would have most likely not survived, however, that came down to be such a close call that we were sent somewhere else at almost the last minute and leaving the place of the first 2 events less than 90 minutes from those first 2 events that happened within 18 minutes of each other.
The thing that caused us to leave that area and go somewhere else was because one of the people who was supposed to be at the second of the 2 back to back meetings however they were not there when the second meeting was supposed start at 1:00 A M because the person was to arrive by helicopter that night but was ill and didn't want to be on a helicopter when feeling as I'll as he did. So after a 4 hour late start we were told to go to where the ill person was and we would get there by the same Navy Helicopter they were to arrive in. Getting everything we needed for this late meeting and getting organized in a conference room away from the other conference rooms there. Getting things to that conference room took 3 trips for 3 of us to get everything started. It was then during the first of the 3 trips getting those things when it happened every tv monitor at our location suddenly turned on automatically and when we looked up at the tv monitors we stopped in our tracks right then & there when we saw what was happening taking place in both of the buildings we had just left to where we now were. The extensive damage to those 2 buildings that we had been in made it very clear that the Generals illness that had caused our meeting location to be changed had in fact saved our lives. The 2 back to back meetings we had were overnight meetings starting at 9:00 pm to midnight, then, the second meeting would start at 12:30 am in the building next to the one we were in & that was a good 4.5 hour meeting concluding about 5: 00 am Now, with this 2nd meeting having started 4.5 hours late meaning that instead of the meeting ending at 5 A. M it would start AT 5 A. M and conclude around 9:30 A. M. At which time we would be on floors 101 & 103, the first meeting in that first building was on the 77th floor.
3 of us were making the first of 3 trips with the materials for the meeting. As the 3 of us were moving from " ring 1 over to ring 3 ( rings are the names of the long hallways the Pentagon has. you go deeper from front to the back leads you to the center courtyard or " the Quad " as they call it. On Monday night September 10th 2001 at 9P.M the first of 2 meetings took place on the 77th floor of 2 WORLD TRADE CENTER ( THE SOUTH TOWER ) Meeting 2. @ 1 WORLD TRADE CENTER Floors 101 & 103. Both buildings would show us several floors above the impact site where both jetliners impacted the buildings.
At the Pentagon we were moving things for the meeting through the different rings to the smaller conference room. The other 2 men with me were a Chief Petty Officer & an ensign. We had stopped for a minute to see the destruction of the 2 buildings we were & would be in. The 3 of us were walking about 20 feet apart looked at the monitors then just before we were going deeper into the next ring and then All of a sudden BAMMM KABOOM BANG . I found myself trying to get up from the floor where I ended up 30 feet from where I was bleeding from my mouth where I had been thrown face first and came to a hard stop against a big microwave oven and small refrigerator and knocked 5 front teeth out of my mouth. I tried to get up and try getting my hearing back and pretty unstable standing and then I saw the Petty officer moving and moaning in pain trying to get up and he suffered broken ribs, shoulder & both arms and I got him sitting up then we saw the ensign who did not survive. He was crumpled up in a lot material and we couldn't get the heavier things he was tangled up in. Then we saw what hit us from behind all we remember is what we were saying and doing and that's when the wall behind us and to the left was blown apart and a lot of stuff blasted out and hit us from behind. It hit the ensign in the back threw him forward into the back of us, he hit the Chief P. O. Who just to my left and 10 feet behind. When we saw what hit us as the wall blasted out the ensign took a direct hit and when we started to pull debris off him the C. P. 0. Jumped back startled and I saw what he found when he turned over the larger debris it was a partial row section of airline seats & jump seat that came from the plane and in the jump seat, still seatbelted in was a body of a woman or I should say a " partial " body of a woman in a flight attendant uniform and that debris of seat sections weighed in at about 150 LBs at high velocity is what killed the ensign and injured us. All I can remember is a quiet walk through rings then I felt the impact and the combined weight of seat sections and flight attendant. I remembered this flight attendant because as we boarded she was all excited and real happy showing her fellow flight attendants her new engagement ring she was given only hours before and I remember her showing the Captain & first officer when they came aboard. We looked her over remembering her new ring and we're going to take it if we could and turn it into the airline so as to get it back to her fiance before someone would see it and take it for themselves but, no ring because there were not any hands or arms. Go from peace and quiet and 5 seconds later to utter devistation and the heavy smell of burning jet fuel and everything else burning and screams from every single direction.
The concussion and rapid rise and fall of the air pressure felt like my eardrums were damaged but they were just adjusting to air pressure. Anyone you came into contact with had their hearing affected same as me.
Wow, I didn't realize I typed so much, I apologise for that, didn't mean to ramble on and on. This is really the first time in a long while that I talk about it, but the emotional part plus it's close to Sept. 11 in a couple of days, wow, 19 years have gone by. I retired in 2006. Fast forward to Sept. 2020, bin laden really thought he was home free in his compound he created that was really his temporary prison. With the high walls and inner walls outside kept him in there where he would take walks along the inside of the high walls. It was one of my co-workers at LANGLEY that, through her dedication and extra hours of work came up with the idea to use our " special " satellites to watch the movement of people in the Pakistan area. She started noticing a car and driver making the very same trips everyday twice a day. It turns out the car & driver were in fact a courier for bin laden, more satellites were tasked to get up close to ground level and noticed a very tall individual taking several walks around the inside of the tall wall. Computer enhancements got a very close up of people inside those walls. Then, she sees the same car and driver enter the 2 entrances and meet with this tall fiqure. Then leave and go back to where he started from every single day. Long story short, we grabbed him up and detained him on a military base. My co-worker who discovered this was an analyst at LANGLEY and worked almost 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Bin Laden made the big mistake of killing her husband. When Pakistan govt officials told and assured us they were doing everything in their power to capture bin laden., We paid the Pakistan govt a lot of money to help them get any anyone they needed to help find bin laden, and as it turned out, the pakistan govt and military lied about not knowing where bin laden was. It was clear they lied to the world because bin ladens compound was less than 2 blocks away from the military base that was the training base of pakistan's special elite military units somewhat like our navy seals, rangers, green berets etc. Sorry for this long post, must be the meds I have to take every day.
For the moderator here, really didn't mean to make this so darn long, please tell free to delete or move my post elsewhere.
Bert
J Rockford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:12 AM   #260

I retired in 1999 at the age of 60. I spent 20 years in the military which supplemented my income to allow me to retire. I worked at Anheuser-Busch, Inc. after my military career for an additional 20 years and retired with another pension. I started drawing social security at age 62. I am now 80 years old and still in good health. I have never regretted my retirement choice. Had a 401K at Anheuser-Busch which I rolled over to an IRA upon my retirement. I still travel in the Class A we own but have not gone anywhere this year due to Covid-19. Making plans to travel again in 2021.
RoaminRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:20 AM   #261

We both "Got Retired".

My wife and I are both now retired. I "got" retired in twice. Once in 2008 when the economy went south and my company folded after working there for 38 years as an electronics tech. After 4 months of searching and being told I was the "top candidate" for several positions I finally landed a job as a cell phone tech. That lasted 4-1/2 years until they phased out techs. Not wanting to go into sales I opted to try ti find a new job. Being 64 at that time did not help in the job search. Hundreds of resumes sent out, two actual interviews and no offers later I decided to claim SS early and become "Lady of the House" while my wife continued to work to support my many vices.

Last November she gets a call to come visit her supervisor at the hospital she worked at. Had spent 40 years in the laundry until she broke her back while lifting something. They transitioned her to a desk job and made her poster child for a new program to help others in the same type of situation of not able to do former job but having skills that could be used elsewhere in the system.

Anyway thought she was going to meet for her annual evaluation. She gets to the bosses office to find boss and person from HR there. Nothing she had done or said wrong, but "Today was your last day here at the hospital. You can go home from this meeting and come back tomorrow to get your personal items". Got caught in a reduction of workforce thing. After a total of 46 years and being less than 8 months away form full retirement age...out the door. Had to sign away all rights to any recourse against hospital before they would issue a severance package. Sucked big time.
Frogfarmeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:38 AM   #262

I retired twenty years ago. I am seventy- six now .
ijon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:07 AM   #263

yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rocker View Post
If you can afford it retire now, there are no guarantees any of us have tomorrow. There will be an adjustment period for sure, but do the things you want to do while you're still healthy.
This thinking is why I did it. If the calculator works ( go cheep, go small go now), go now.
I was talking to a friend that was 70 at the time, and he planted the seed, (you cant get the time back), second sentence he said, we have well over a million dallars we haven't even thought of spending yet. So live and spend it.
Retired a age 53 and now am 56.5 and no regrets. My older brother and sister are still working, because they like to live high on the hog.
Its easy to get some money if needed, doing work camping, or harvest type jobs, some will even pay cash.
As I stated around #7, every ones calculator is different, and the calculator don't lie. For me, its best to use up saved after tax money then suck on IRA money and keep below having to file/pay, taxes from age 54-65, works for me, and im not living like a church mouse. Then at age 65 pentions and ssn. Yes what if I don't make it there, it don't matter, ill be dead, but still lived. If I make it there, pension collection time, after living moderate, money, for my needs will, be plenty.
Im not against posting numbers so. If I took pentions at age 55, would be $1,165 a month till age 62 then $3,065 a month, with, ssn. (all paying taxes on this) Waiting till age 65 gets me a solid $5,566 without ssn increases, but there will be in the next 8 years.
( priceless) is not, legally paying taxes to the feds, for 11 years, playing by the ruels. And still having money left at age 65.
( just posting numbers for others to see what outside the box can be)
travelorer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:22 AM   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler4321 View Post
This thinking is why I did it. If the calculator works ( go cheep, go small go now), go now.
I was talking to a friend that was 70 at the time, and he planted the seed, (you cant get the time back), second sentence he said, we have well over a million dallars we haven't even thought of spending yet. So live and spend it.
Retired a age 53 and now am 56.5 and no regrets. My older brother and sister are still working, because they like to live high on the hog.
Its easy to get some money if needed, doing work camping, or harvest type jobs, some will even pay cash.
As I stated around #7, every ones calculator is different, and the calculator don't lie. For me, its best to use up saved after tax money then suck on IRA money and keep below having to file/pay, taxes from age 54-65, works for me, and im not living like a church mouse. Then at age 65 pentions and ssn. Yes what if I don't make it there, it don't matter, ill be dead, but still lived. If I make it there, pension collection time, after living moderate, money, for my needs will, be plenty.
Im not against posting numbers so. If I took pentions at age 55, would be $1,165 a month till age 62 then $3,065 a month, with, ssn. (all paying taxes on this) Waiting till age 65 gets me a solid $5,566 without ssn increases, but there will be in the next 8 years.
( priceless) is not, legally paying taxes to the feds, for 11 years, playing by the ruels. And still having money left at age 65.
( just posting numbers for others to see what outside the box can be)
And I want to thank you again for sharing what you did about the ACA back in February. We're still in our first year, so the real numbers won't be available until I work on my 2020 taxes next year. But for now our monthly policy premium is less than what I get back in healthy living incentives from our insurance provider. Different plan, but same provider we were with before the switch. Out of pocket max for us is around $3K per year.

Since we have enough after-tax savings to tap, we're still working PT and plowing as much as can into the 401k plans for future use.

Best regards,
Chris
BubbaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 06:08 AM   #265

Thank you for sharing what was a terrible and frightening time in your life. I was almost ready to stop reading when I saw "Trade Center", "Pentagon". Your section on the stewardess was a heart-stopper. So sad. Stay healthy. All the best. Ed
edaa53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:08 AM   #266

Most interesting retirement story yet don’t you dare delete

Bert, thank you for explaining your path to retirement. I am very glad you are telling this difficult story. It is important for us and for you to be heard. 🌺
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Rockford View Post
Ahh yes, retirement started working when I was 14 yrs old & I just kept going. I retired sooner than I ever thought I would, in 2006 at age 51. I still had ( have ) good years left however, struggling along from injuries I received in 2001 during the course of my employment, I managed to tough it out for 5 more years until 2006 when the injuries from 2001 started to flare up more & more over the 5 year period until 2006 when some of those injuries I incurred started to make their presence noticed more and more.
I should and do feel fortunate to have survived the events of that day but those injuries changed the plans I had for my future. I missed getting hurt and/ or killed twice that day but as they say the third time is a charm & maybe it IS a charm that I was only injured and not killed on that third event. I mean when you miss being injured or killed 3 times that day in less than a 4 hour period that's too close for comfort, but survive I did. The first 2 events had I still been there when they happened i would have most likely not survived, however, that came down to be such a close call that we were sent somewhere else at almost the last minute and leaving the place of the first 2 events less than 90 minutes from those first 2 events that happened within 18 minutes of each other.
The thing that caused us to leave that area and go somewhere else was because one of the people who was supposed to be at the second of the 2 back to back meetings however they were not there when the second meeting was supposed start at 1:00 A M because the person was to arrive by helicopter that night but was ill and didn't want to be on a helicopter when feeling as I'll as he did. So after a 4 hour late start we were told to go to where the ill person was and we would get there by the same Navy Helicopter they were to arrive in. Getting everything we needed for this late meeting and getting organized in a conference room away from the other conference rooms there. Getting things to that conference room took 3 trips for 3 of us to get everything started. It was then during the first of the 3 trips getting those things when it happened every tv monitor at our location suddenly turned on automatically and when we looked up at the tv monitors we stopped in our tracks right then & there when we saw what was happening taking place in both of the buildings we had just left to where we now were. The extensive damage to those 2 buildings that we had been in made it very clear that the Generals illness that had caused our meeting location to be changed had in fact saved our lives. The 2 back to back meetings we had were overnight meetings starting at 9:00 pm to midnight, then, the second meeting would start at 12:30 am in the building next to the one we were in & that was a good 4.5 hour meeting concluding about 5: 00 am Now, with this 2nd meeting having started 4.5 hours late meaning that instead of the meeting ending at 5 A. M it would start AT 5 A. M and conclude around 9:30 A. M. At which time we would be on floors 101 & 103, the first meeting in that first building was on the 77th floor.
3 of us were making the first of 3 trips with the materials for the meeting. As the 3 of us were moving from " ring 1 over to ring 3 ( rings are the names of the long hallways the Pentagon has. you go deeper from front to the back leads you to the center courtyard or " the Quad " as they call it. On Monday night September 10th 2001 at 9P.M the first of 2 meetings took place on the 77th floor of 2 WORLD TRADE CENTER ( THE SOUTH TOWER ) Meeting 2. @ 1 WORLD TRADE CENTER Floors 101 & 103. Both buildings would show us several floors above the impact site where both jetliners impacted the buildings.
At the Pentagon we were moving things for the meeting through the different rings to the smaller conference room. The other 2 men with me were a Chief Petty Officer & an ensign. We had stopped for a minute to see the destruction of the 2 buildings we were & would be in. The 3 of us were walking about 20 feet apart looked at the monitors then just before we were going deeper into the next ring and then All of a sudden BAMMM KABOOM BANG . I found myself trying to get up from the floor where I ended up 30 feet from where I was bleeding from my mouth where I had been thrown face first and came to a hard stop against a big microwave oven and small refrigerator and knocked 5 front teeth out of my mouth. I tried to get up and try getting my hearing back and pretty unstable standing and then I saw the Petty officer moving and moaning in pain trying to get up and he suffered broken ribs, shoulder & both arms and I got him sitting up then we saw the ensign who did not survive. He was crumpled up in a lot material and we couldn't get the heavier things he was tangled up in. Then we saw what hit us from behind all we remember is what we were saying and doing and that's when the wall behind us and to the left was blown apart and a lot of stuff blasted out and hit us from behind. It hit the ensign in the back threw him forward into the back of us, he hit the Chief P. O. Who just to my left and 10 feet behind. When we saw what hit us as the wall blasted out the ensign took a direct hit and when we started to pull debris off him the C. P. 0. Jumped back startled and I saw what he found when he turned over the larger debris it was a partial row section of airline seats & jump seat that came from the plane and in the jump seat, still seatbelted in was a body of a woman or I should say a " partial " body of a woman in a flight attendant uniform and that debris of seat sections weighed in at about 150 LBs at high velocity is what killed the ensign and injured us. All I can remember is a quiet walk through rings then I felt the impact and the combined weight of seat sections and flight attendant. I remembered this flight attendant because as we boarded she was all excited and real happy showing her fellow flight attendants her new engagement ring she was given only hours before and I remember her showing the Captain & first officer when they came aboard. We looked her over remembering her new ring and we're going to take it if we could and turn it into the airline so as to get it back to her fiance before someone would see it and take it for themselves but, no ring because there were not any hands or arms. Go from peace and quiet and 5 seconds later to utter devistation and the heavy smell of burning jet fuel and everything else burning and screams from every single direction.
The concussion and rapid rise and fall of the air pressure felt like my eardrums were damaged but they were just adjusting to air pressure. Anyone you came into contact with had their hearing affected same as me.
Wow, I didn't realize I typed so much, I apologise for that, didn't mean to ramble on and on. This is really the first time in a long while that I talk about it, but the emotional part plus it's close to Sept. 11 in a couple of days, wow, 19 years have gone by. I retired in 2006. Fast forward to Sept. 2020, bin laden really thought he was home free in his compound he created that was really his temporary prison. With the high walls and inner walls outside kept him in there where he would take walks along the inside of the high walls. It was one of my co-workers at LANGLEY that, through her dedication and extra hours of work came up with the idea to use our " special " satellites to watch the movement of people in the Pakistan area. She started noticing a car and driver making the very same trips everyday twice a day. It turns out the car & driver were in fact a courier for bin laden, more satellites were tasked to get up close to ground level and noticed a very tall individual taking several walks around the inside of the tall wall. Computer enhancements got a very close up of people inside those walls. Then, she sees the same car and driver enter the 2 entrances and meet with this tall fiqure. Then leave and go back to where he started from every single day. Long story short, we grabbed him up and detained him on a military base. My co-worker who discovered this was an analyst at LANGLEY and worked almost 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Bin Laden made the big mistake of killing her husband. When Pakistan govt officials told and assured us they were doing everything in their power to capture bin laden., We paid the Pakistan govt a lot of money to help them get any anyone they needed to help find bin laden, and as it turned out, the pakistan govt and military lied about not knowing where bin laden was. It was clear they lied to the world because bin ladens compound was less than 2 blocks away from the military base that was the training base of pakistan's special elite military units somewhat like our navy seals, rangers, green berets etc. Sorry for this long post, must be the meds I have to take every day.
For the moderator here, really didn't mean to make this so darn long, please tell free to delete or move my post elsewhere.
Bert
Spartan11 is offline   Reply With Quote