RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2020, 08:29 AM   #1

When did you retire?

DW is going to be 63 and I am going to be 60, both in September. My question is When did you retire?

What led up to the decision to retire, forced retirement, decided enough was enough, hit your financial retirement goal, etc.

Did you regret retiring when you did? If so, should you have retired sooner or later?

Any insights would be appreciated. Financially, we can do it. Our fear is that after working for the last 40+ years we are not sure what to expect that 1st morning when there are no emails to respond to can no calls to return. Logically, we know it will be awesome. However, our concerns are more on the emotional side of hanging it up.

Thanks in advanced for your input.

Bob
TrainerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2020, 08:38 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I retired once at 55 (defined benefits pension plan) but I'm working a new job now. I plan to work till I'm 65 this time.
However, when I retired the first time, I was out of work for a couple of months - and I was going crazy with boredom. I guess I like to work or at least I need to keep busy.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:44 AM   #3

I retired at 64, April Fools Day of 2016.

I had a "pep talk" from my remote boss that included working more hours and days for the same money. I went home that evening and looked up my financials. The next morning I scheduled five weeks of vacation. When I went back to work, I gave notice.

To celebrate my last day, I and others took a video of me burning a uniform shirt on a cyclone fence. The fence now has a rusty spot where the galvanizing was burnt off. (Oops!)
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:48 AM   #4

I retired from "real" work at about 64. That said I also have 10 rental units to it's not like I don't have anything to do. I am not sorry the way things worked out, I just wish I could have delayed taking social security for about another year or so, it would have been worth another $250 a month to me. That said the longer you live the shorter your remaining life gets so my advice is as soon as you can retire and not have to live like a pauper I'd go for it. Just one note about financial advisors, they generally get paid by the amount of assets they have under management so they have a somewhat vested interest in your portfolio getting bigger and thus may want to keep you working longer to add to that portfolio.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:49 AM   #5

I retired at 60, last November. Have enjoyed it immensely. I have caught up up on all the projects around the house and spent a couple months here and there out camping. Boredom can be an issue, I got lucky and am working part time (starting this week) running heavy equipment and making pretty good bank. Will help with insurance premiums and some beer money. Donít really need to work but what the heck, right now I have the time, until new home build is complete.
I made decision to retire when financial guy said your good to go. Had a very high stress job, loved the work but hated the politics.
WeRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:52 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
I turned 65 in January, 2020. My last day of work was June 11, 2020. July 3rd 2020 was my 40th anniversary at the company I worked for. Officially retired on July 4th. I have not regretted 1 day. I don't know how I had time for work.
wkayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainerBob View Post
DW is going to be 63 and I am going to be 60, both in September. My question is When did you retire?

What led up to the decision to retire, forced retirement, decided enough was enough, hit your financial retirement goal, etc.

Did you regret retiring when you did? If so, should you have retired sooner or later?

Any insights would be appreciated. Financially, we can do it. Our fear is that after working for the last 40+ years we are not sure what to expect that 1st morning when there are no emails to respond to can no calls to return. Logically, we know it will be awesome. However, our concerns are more on the emotional side of hanging it up.

Thanks in advanced for your input.

Bob
Yeah, they'll be a time of transition, but in a year you'll be wondering how you ever had time for work. This is from a guy who worked 50-55 hours a week or more. I loved my job and had no one telling me what to do, so the choice was always mine. At 62, I found I was asking myself "Do I really want to do this any more?". This change in my attitude was a complete surprise. But I yielded to it, and was eminently pleased that I did. I had a "Boss" who was about a year behind me in the retirement progression who was also extremely concerned about staying busy after retirement. She went so far as to try to expand her hobbies, line up a number of volunteer opportunities and other things to keep busy. As with myself, her experience in retirement is exactly the same. She and her husband are more than busy enough to fill the hours of the day and more, and more, and MORE.

My recommendation... DO IT. You will not be sorry. You never know what tomorrow will bring, so do what what will make you happy NOW. Take any minute of fun any time you can, and don't let the "what if's" concern you. DW and I've been retired since 2003.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:56 AM   #8

I'm 63. I retired10 months ago when I took time off for surgery. Retired in my heart and mind anyway....

I still have to come in to work, for another 3 - 22 months, depending on when I can find insurance to cover me until Medicare.

My advice to OP is; If you have all our financial ducks in a row, DO IT sooner rather than later. You don't know how much time you have left to live, so live all that you have left.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:03 AM   #9

For years I had been telling guys that worked for me to retire when they know you will be ok financially. I took my advice at 59yr 9 months. No regrets at all. Do it when you can. You do not get to live longer just because you work longer. None of us know when it is our time. Enjoy the days you have left. Safe travels.

Enjoy the journey
Old 08-31-2020, 09:03 AM   #10

I retired at 50 when the "company" decided to buy us older guys out to make room for younger cheaper workers. I was loving retirement. Then on our first camping trip across the country I met another RV owner who offered me a job I just couldn't resist working as a supervising engineer in disaster areas all over this country. That lasted another 10 years until I called it quits for good.

Now at 70 I can look back and say I've never had a boring day yet. Always lots to do and see. Our countries are so beautiful and different. I hope we can continue to travel for at least another 10 years!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:10 AM   #11

I retired one month before turning 62. I was tired of the direction the company (or at least my part of it) was going. The office politics were also becoming more of a distraction. I could afford it financially so I decided to pull the plug. I have no regrets. I often wonder how I had time to work.
ageishecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:13 AM   #12

Never did really retire. Was laid off last day of January 2009 during the last depression. DW las laid off Good Friday the same year. She whould be turning 65 i June, so she took unemployment for a year then retired. I looked for a job, but who wants to hire a 63 year old broken down mechanic? So went to work in a scroungy little machine shop for a year fixing what I could. As they slowed down I told the boss to lay me off first to try and save the young guys. Finally got my SS at 66. We then went camp hosting for 7 years until her health forced us to sell the RV. Here we sit now waiting for the end!
Old 08-31-2020, 09:31 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I retired before my 55th birthday, you might say it was time.

The job I had required me to travel internationally, the last year I was on the road ~250 days. Even at home I was putting in long hours working across 3 different time zones. Last time I went to South America and on site in a jungle setting things go interesting. Heard the union was having an emergency meeting but NO one knew what it was about. Finally had a translator ask the plant manager who sheepishly said that they were going to have a vote on whether to kidnap me or not. (About 2 years earlier they had held the country manger hostage until he signed a commitment for $1M). I hastily arranged transportation for me and several other expats for the 8 hour drive back to the city. Flew out of the country the next day which was an adventure in itself. Never went back.

About 3 months later, after dealing with major issues in Spain, I gave the CEO my resignation, which he ignored for 3 months. I ended up working ~5 months until I said enough is enough.

I did do a ~7 month consulting gig to help out previous employer, money was too good to pass up and it was interesting. They wanted me to continue but I told them I had met my obligations and provided them with the information they needed for a path forward, it was up to them to keep the initiatives progressing.

Every time I think about going back to work I think about the issues I dealt with the last year in South America and Spain and remind myself I'd be crazy to go back.

So after I retiring my wife informed me that I had promised to build her a new house. For the life of me I can't remember that. Anyway we eventually bought some property and settled on a house plan. I decided to be the general contractor doing a lot of work myself and after the house was under roof did all the finish work. At some point I regretted starting the house but finally did finish and am now starting on a 40X50' shop garage.

Better to crazy at home then crazy at work.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:37 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We owned and operated a business for 37 years before retiring in 2010. I was 72 and my wife 70. Our big regret is not retiring when I reached Social Security age. My wife began having a lot of medical problems soon after that.

My advice is to retire as soon as you are financially able to do so and enjoy those later years!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote