Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2020, 05:26 AM   #85

Yesterday
edaa53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2020, 08:53 AM   #86

Some will say, "One more year of working to save more for retirement".

I thought to myself, "When is enough, enough?"

Made sense to me so I retired at 55 yrs old and that was 20 yrs ago. Haven't regretted doing so.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:52 PM   #87

1+

Quote:
Originally Posted by edaa53 View Post
Yesterday
1+
Old 10-29-2020, 06:14 PM   #88

You nailed the short & easy answer...
As soon as you can afford to and not too late that you don't get to enjoy it.
Now the hard part - the devil is in the details.

Best exercise we went through is to sit down and figure where you spend your $ while working. Don't sweat counting pennies but try to account for where you total gross income goes. This takes some work to search taxes, bills, credit cards, savings and do educated ests for the rest.
Then once comfortable with a close approximation - try to estimate what will stay the same, increase & decrease in retirement (again desired / best est)
With that info most banks, credit unions, investment houses can run several scenarios (often at no / lo cost to you) to show you your retirement options.
Then you & only you can decide which option & how much risk you are comfortable with.

From personal experience and only my opinion - a good option is to continue part time work while you are young / healthy enough that it isn't a burden and actually can be a pleasant way to fill time, extend your retirement benefits and still have flexibility to do other enjoyable things.
IMO waiting until you run out of funds to consider part time work us not a great a alternative... who wants to have to go to work at late 70s or 80s?!
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:01 AM   #89

The happiest retirees i know are those that retire with no debt whatsoever, and don't make any new debt once they retire. "I have enough in the bank to pay (name it) off, but I don't because......" (Heard this a lot and the excuse never makes sense.)
You worked 40 or 50 years and still have debt? Why? After you retire there are a number of bad things that can (and will) happen. You don't need debt then, you need a cash cushion.
jimheiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:41 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimheiner View Post
The happiest retirees i know are those that retire with no debt whatsoever, and don't make any new debt once they retire. "I have enough in the bank to pay (name it) off, but I don't because......" (Heard this a lot and the excuse never makes sense.)
You worked 40 or 50 years and still have debt? Why? After you retire there are a number of bad things that can (and will) happen. You don't need debt then, you need a cash cushion.
Sure...keeping money in the bank makes sense. I have purchased two new vehicles since I retired. Financed them both. Why shouldn't I take the BELOW market financing and let me make the 1 1/2% on the rest?

I could have paid cash for them both. But THAT wasn't smart.

I have this philosophy-only borrow money you don't need.

I don't have the same philosophy of "that guy on the radio".
Old 10-30-2020, 10:50 PM   #91

Mom taught me a real life lesson growing up....
On payday, pay yourself something
And never over extend yourself --- ie: live within your means

I never accumulated debt except for mortgage.
Retired before turning 50 cause I had been wise with my income, lived/enjoyed life and was debt free.
17 yrs later I am still debt free and loving retirement
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:35 PM   #92

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
When I got my first regular job ( Farming at home didn't pay much other than food and shelter) my dad told me a couple of things.

I tried to live by that advice the rest of my working life.

He told me to always leave for work giving yourself enough time to change a flat tire, and keep six months wages in the bank in case you need it one day.

Well I kept that advice and kept saving. That's why I could retire at 58. Also, it helps to have an understanding wife with the same principles.

So retire as soon as you can, but don't forget you will need money. It can't buy happiness, but it sure helps.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:02 AM   #93

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Loan on a 2016 Jeep. Interest rate 2% for 6 years. At the time, IRA was earning considerably more.

Not an excuse. Just common sense.
garyb1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:20 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck24 View Post
Sure...keeping money in the bank makes sense. I have purchased two new vehicles since I retired. Financed them both. Why shouldn't I take the BELOW market financing and let me make the 1 1/2% on the rest?

I could have paid cash for them both. But THAT wasn't smart.

I have this philosophy-only borrow money you don't need.

I don't have the same philosophy of "that guy on the radio".
Why shouldn't I take the BELOW market financing and let me make the 1 1/2% on the rest?

Risk and taxes
Old 11-01-2020, 08:29 AM   #95

Winnebago Owners Club
Retire when you are still young enough and physically fit enough to do the things you like.

If you like travel, sight seeing and getting out and about it will be different than if you plan to retire to a chair in front of the television.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:30 PM   #96

Quote:
Why shouldn't I take the BELOW market financing and let me make the 1 1/2% on the rest?

Risk and taxes

There is no risk. I have enough cash to pay for the vehicles many times over. There are no (out of the ordinary) tax consequences.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:47 PM   #97

Just one thought on the 0% loans. What was the cash price without the 0% interest. Nobody, and I mean nobody, loans money for free. The contact may say the rate is 0% but if the price is higher the rate is not 0%. Just my 40 or so years of banking and accounting kicking in.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:55 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
Just one thought on the 0% loans. What was the cash price without the 0% interest. Nobody, and I mean nobody, loans money for free. The contact may say the rate is 0% but if the price is higher the rate is not 0%. Just my 40 or so years of banking and accounting kicking in.
100% agree. The USA was built on debt, and it is no wonder the banks & insurance companies build some of the biggest buildings. We are largely addicted to debt. And "I could have paid cash but borrowed" is a refrain by those without the testicular fortitude to write that ONE BIG CHECK.