Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2014, 07:51 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velroc View Post
I would would like some feed back on where to retire based on Taxes, Friendliness, and Modern Churches and all the other good things. Many people say Florida as long as you have lots of money.

Bob
My question is - do "Modern Churches" have Modern Gods?

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2014, 07:59 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
My question is - do "Modern Churches" have Modern Gods?

Ed
Your question doesn't seem to help the OP. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:35 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
I think "modern chuch" means non denominational and less "fire and brimstone". Seems like most of the protestant churches around here are going that direction.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:47 AM   #32
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
I think "modern chuch" means non denominational and less "fire and brimstone". Seems like most of the protestant churches around here are going that direction.
yep, candy coated truth. don't want to offend anyone, cuts down on the income. hard to find a community with all the op's desires. as meatloaf said, 2outa 3 ain't bad.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are four states that I know of, and possible a 5th coming.

Texas
Nevada
Florida
South Dakota
(Georgia may or may not join this list).

In these states the residency requirements are basically non-existant, SD for example requires one night when you renew your license. And they will accept a hotel or campground reciept as proof of residency.

NV.. Some counties registering a motor home is kind of costly, at least the initial registration.

The other states I can not tell you details BUT Escapees has a Texas facility and they can tell you how to become a Texan and quite possibly only visit one time.

As to the best place to retire... IF there is a photo attached to this post anywere (Avatar, sig, whatever) that's where I retire to.. a 38 foot class A
Old 01-02-2014, 08:29 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
...There are four states that I know of, and possible a 5th coming.

Texas
Nevada
Florida
South Dakota
(Georgia may or may not join this list)...
I have only one problem with SD...if you're actually going to "retire" and live there...winter!
Old 01-02-2014, 08:58 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Here is a good link to compare taxes in a state by state ranking The Tax Foundation

You have to look at:

~Home prices
~Property taxes
~Income taxes
~Cost of Utilities
~State Sales tax
~vehicle registration fees
~vehicle plate tag fees
~insurance costs (home & vehicle/RV)
~will your health care coverage in retirement apply there
~Any HOA fees
~Crime
~Weather (some of us like the change of seasons)
~

I've generated a spreadsheet listing those items above to do a state by state comparison. Fl, TX, SD and AL look real good.

Then I added another criteria labeled "living there year round". One day travelling in the MH will come to an end. So could I live there year round. High subjective but you need to consider it. FL, TX and SD don't look so rosey anymore.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
By comparison, anyone wanting to retire to the Greater Vancouver area in BC, Canada's banana belt, we are faced with:

- 2nd highest housing prices in the world, behind Hong Kong.
- average detached home price in Vancouver over $1 million.
- average home price in areas just outside Vancouver, $550K-ish
- property taxes in the $4,000 - $7,000 range.
- prop. transfer tax when you buy, 1% to $200K & then at 2%.
- average income tax in of over 40%.
- sales tax of 12% on just about everything (PST + GST).
- highest gas taxes in Canada, approx. $1/US gal.
- tax freedom day currently June 1 in Canada.
- all taxes combined on average, 50% of person's income.
- and if I've missed anything, they will tax that too.

Clearly not a place for retirees to move to...

Here's what you get for $1.7 million in the City of Vancouver:

http://http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/03/06/vancouver-housing-bubble-absurd-prices_n_2822178.html We bought our first house near this in '79 for $74K but moved away in '81. Shoulda kept it I guess, would have been worth maybe $3 million now.

Many people in and around Vancouver simply bail out and move well away when they retire. I'd move to the US in a heartbeat if it weren't for the fact we'd lose our medical coverage. Sounds like almost anywhere in the US would be way cheaper than here. I like Oregon a lot, not too hot and not too wet & cold..
I don't think there is anyone in BC right now. They're all here in Mexico
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:09 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
JohnT:

So what is your subjective criteria for FL, TX and SD not looking so good?
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:16 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
JohnT:

So what is your subjective criteria for FL, TX and SD not looking so good?
Our decision to move from “very costly to retirees in Oakland county Michigan” to a more financially favorable location also includes “what if” we have to live there full time. Once we retiring from travelling we’ll need to live full time the S&B. The cost of ownership, medical facilities, and housing although important, drops a couple of positions. Now the year round weather / climate becomes ”key” in the decision process.

These states are very financially attractive and Great to visit. But do we want to live there forever in their unique climaste's?

So in reverse order:
SD in January??? I can’t find my golf ball after I hit it.
Texas – a pretty big state and usually 100*+ for months at a time. (Just the opposite of SD in January)
Florida – humidity and temperature is high most months. My parents retired from Fulltiming and live outside of Stuart for 18 years. After 3 successive hurricanes, they moved to Dallas.

We’re still researching and travelling. Someday we might find that “right” place.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:31 AM   #39

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Texas – a pretty big state and usually 100*+ for months at a time.
As you said, Texas is a pretty big state, and your assumption of 100 degF temperatures for months at a time is not true for all parts of the state. Example:

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:45 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In the article noted early in this thread, Tennessee was rated as the #1 place to retire due to most of the criteria..... low taxes, low property values, good health care, moderate weather, low crime rate, etc. Virginia, where we now live, was rated #6 in the top ten locations. Where we are in VA (central/SW) taxes are pretty low, we have excellent health care, people are friendly, low crime rates, weather is moderate.... extremes are rare and usually short duration. Plus we have, much like TN, a good mix of flat land, mountains, lakes, small towns and larger cities. If you like the ocean, you can get to Virginia, NC and SC beaches in a day or less.

Now that I've plugged Virginia, when I retire next spring, we plan to 'shop' for places to land but think we will likely continue to homestead in Virginia and travel to other places we find desirable. We love Tennessee and really want to discover more about Texas, especially the Hill Country.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:46 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget63 View Post
If I may add my two cents, We lived most of our adult lives in NYC. Retired to the Golden Corner of SC and absolutely love it. We still get four seasons of weather, but winters are short and usually snow free. The summers although long, are no worse than NYC (most likely due to the higher elevation here). Real estate taxes are a joke compared to NY, as is home and auto insurance. In NY I paid 2400.00 a year for full coverage on one car (Cadillac). Down here I pay 1300.00 for a 2011 Ford Expedition, 2012 KIA RIO, and a 2004 Bounder MH! It's true we have an Ad-Velorum tax on real property, but it's deductible come tax time. Housing is cheaper, gasoline is cheaper, the general cost of living is cheaper. When I turn 65 (I am only 57) my school tax will be gone, personal income tax will be lowered, and property and Ad- Velorum will be cheaper too! In conclusion I am so happy to be here and cannot see being retired anywhere else.
Live up the road from Gadget and agree this is a low cost area. We also just purchased a RV lot in Choestoe, GA . The HOA fee is $350 a year for water, wifi, trash and lawncare, which is cheaper per month than my water bill. This has us seriously thinking of renting our house as we just put a fifth wheel on our lot for permanent living for 8 months of the year. Our monthly expenses on the lot would be well under $300 per month.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:25 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
As you said, Texas is a pretty big state, and your assumption of 100 degF temperatures for months at a time is not true for all parts of the state.

Rusty
Thanks Rusty.
The frost time line is similar to Michigan. We're looking for "Frost Free". If that's possible with global warming.
That's why we looked at South Alabama. Still have more places to research.