Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Where would you retire ?
Pacific 20 23.26%
Mountain 7 8.14%
West North Central 0 0%
West South Central 12 13.95%
East North Central 2 2.33%
East South Central 11 12.79%
New England 3 3.49%
Mid-Atlantic 2 2.33%
South Atlantic 23 26.74%
Outside U.S. (please specify) 6 6.98%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #43

I wanted to quick reply to this myself. I am only in my early 40's. Husband is in mid-50's. My son isn't grown. But I have become invisible to him. He either treats me invisible or abuses me. So I told him that I was not going to live that way anymore. For the last ten years I did everything for him and helped him overcome many things but he has rejected me - completely. So I told him to go live with his Dad. Maybe he can grow up there different than here --- because he obviously doesn't like boundaries and we must have them. So, I've gotten no Mother's Day wishes either. It's been sad to say the least. My other son passed away, and he would have been happy to be with his Ma, I am sure. But sometimes, we just can't control those around us and all we CAN control is our response to them.......
dawnbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #44

I move up to Washington from the South where I can remember bugs so big inside my house that I once saw a flying roach! There were times I could actually hear them in my walls! It can be 80 degrees outside and you'd just SWEAT - profusely. The air is humid and no wind to move any of it. It just seems to hover. I got up to Washington and was shocked. Summer here is when it gets over 80 degrees and people are panicking. Of course who here has a/c in their homes? Barely NOONE! So on the hot days, you can't seem to escape it. But there's so few of them to worry about, you just sort of muddle through until the next marine system blows through to cool things down! I wouldn't mind retiring here in Washington STate - but not in the city. More like Eastern Washington around Yakima, Moses Lake, Klamath Falls - down that way.
dawnbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:42 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
Encinitas, CA ? Majestic mountains ?!?!

I beg to differ on that.

I worked at Scripps Encinitas, so I have a fairly good idea of that region. But I didn't see any "majestic mountains" anywhere there, none, at least, that can compare to the Rockies, Chugach or the Cascades.

It is a nice area though, don't get me wrong. But I can surely do without the traffic, or the expensive cost-of-living....

Within 2 1/2 hours, we can be skiing at 7000 ft in some pretty majestic mountains. Another three hours north, you're at Mt. Whitney; the highest peak in the continental U.S. Turn right, and in a couple hours you're at the lowest point in the U.S. Look back to the west from here, and you're looking at the incredibly beautiful Sierra Nevada mountains.

The Rockies are pretty nice, but the beaches & boating stink in Colorado. Plus the fishing's no good, teeny little four pound trout, you hardly ever see a 60 pound tuna there.

The Cascades are fantastic, the Olympics even better, but a bit too much rain & snow for us, plus the surfing in WA is really not too hot. We would consider living there at least part-time. Might be fun having a little horse farm in Oregon too. For years when the kids were smaller we kept a boat in either Anacortes, Gig Harbor, or Elliott Bay and spent the summers there. Forget the northwest in the winter though. I suppose another of my requirements is no more than 20" of rain annually.

Traffic's really not bad here, even the 9-5'rs have it vastly improved in recent years due to new freeways, etc. Takes me a whole 11 minutes to get to my office.

Cost of living? Well, yes; housing & gas are fairly high. If you want to live well and don't have a pretty good income or substantial asset base, this probably isn't the place for you. San Diego County is about on par for comparable areas.
My 25 year old daughter and her husband recently bought a nice older custom home in Vista, on a half acre for under $400k. (they're also RV'ers by the way...)

Fortunately, there are many terrific areas in this magnificent country, and folks who all believe their corner of it is the best. Even some folks who think Texas is nice...
Old 05-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
South Florida is the place for me (at least 6 months of the year). The Pigeon Forge area in eastern Tennessee for the summer months.
I agree. I live on an island in SW Florida and to me it's paradise. The summers are too hot so Tenn. is a great place to go as well as any of the mountain areas all the way to Canada.

As a winter base Fl. can't be beat. You can live in the panhandle and have 4 seasons. Go to N. central Fl. and have "hills" and beautiful forests and very mild winters. Go to the west coast of Fl. and have great beaches and some great little towns. Go to E. Fl. and have all the big cities you would ever want to see. I now have the coach to leave in the summer and enjoy the mountains and have the best of both worlds. Happy trails all!
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #47

My wife hasn't told me what I want yet.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #48

Great answer. I stated earlier that I like sw Missouri. I've since been informed of my error, apparently it'll likely be closer to dfw as that's where our oldest daughter is, & where our youngest says she's going .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhorn View Post
Austin TX is good for me.
Great outdoor living there. hiking, restaurants, music. plus kids are there.
I like Austin or Corpus Christie
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:52 PM   #50
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
The greater Texas Hill Country area.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:20 PM   #51

Forest River Owners Club
Albuquerque area would be my first choice ... climate, great bicycle trails, great eating, family, and more ... but I guess I'll be settling for East TX as a compromise. I'll be sacrificing the bicycle trails to be within a day's drive of kids/g-kids...
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:05 PM   #52

Grew up in Seattle so I know how beautiful the PNW is but omg those dark rainy winters (Just ask anyone how miserable the winter has been this year. Just finally starting to see the sun) Spent 4 years in Florida. The bugs drive you nuts.

We have now lived and will retire in a Los Angeles surburb. Yes Los Angeles surburb. Have a 180 degree ocean view about 1/2 mile from new Trump goff course. Perfect weather, never hot, never cold, no bugs, can get to beach in 20 minutes, desert in 2 hours, mountains in 2 hours. Only problem is the traffic and we as a state are broke.

We thought about Hill Country near Austin as my wife grew up there, but too hot and humid in the summer. So we are here, have our RV to hit all the great areas once you get outside of the traffic. Just have to realize it ain't cheap!.
pvrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:42 PM   #53

I dream of southern Oregon or northern CA. Not too hot yet close enough to the desert for winter get aways. We currently live on the B.C. coast which boasts the most temperate climate in the country but this nine months of rain is gonna drive me completely round the bend.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:06 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvrick View Post
We have now lived and will retire in a Los Angeles surburb. Yes Los Angeles surburb. Have a 180 degree ocean view about 1/2 mile from new Trump goff course. Perfect weather, never hot, never cold, no bugs, can get to beach in 20 minutes, desert in 2 hours, mountains in 2 hours.
Can't say as I blame you a bit!

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:53 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club

My vote is Lake Havasu City, AZ 10th Year wintering in Havasu.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:19 AM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is an interesting thread to me. We bought our rig a little over a year ago and have dreamed of traveling and doing the whole "snowbird" bird thing eventually, but for now, have to be content with going out 3 to 4 times a year for the next 7 years or so before we can "officially" retire. We have lived in SE MN our whole lives and can't wait to experience life in other parts of the country. The older we get the more the winters in Minnesota take its toll on us! We've been to the SW part of Missouri three times and like it there, but really want to go farther west. For now we live the lifestyle vicariously through you all! Keep posting your experiences for all us wannbes!!
Rod