RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2021, 09:36 AM   #57
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranelakeont View Post
Ok, what is gas buddy? Never heard of it and I have been RVing for 27 years.
Gas Buddy shows you the current prices of most of the stations in the area where you are at the time. You can select whether it shows you diesel or gas. It's a handy app to have!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2021, 01:32 PM   #58

Credit cards

I hope everyone knows that the person giving you those airline miles and other benefits is not the CC company but the business where you did your purchases. They are charged different amounts for different classes of cards. Everyone pays more for everything, just the way the system works. One thing I don't understand is why CC interest rates are so high when they borrow at such low rates. With current variable rates the future rates could be astronomical.

You need to use your credit cards occasionally just so they don't cancel it on you. It's also nice to have a card for emergency use, been there done that.

I don't trust debt cards, the funds come directly from your bank account and even if there is a disputed change is made it could be quite a while before you see your funds. Looks to me like the gasbuddy card is really a debt card.
OnSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:12 AM   #59

Auto Pay

We have several cards and pay off the balance each and every month - using auto pay. The card we use the most often is the Citi Double Cash Back MC - 2% back on all purchases, including Walmart. I've been looking at the Penfed Platinum Rewards card for quite a while. I would use it for fuel and groceries. It looks like they are still offering the card with 5% back on fuel and 3% back on groceries. We rarely use cash or debit.

https://www.penfed.org/credit-cards/...visa-signature
HarleyRider7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:12 AM   #60

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
We use any we can find out on the dark web!

Just kidding.

Costco Visa, Capital One and American Express ... all have cash back features.

Exactly the same ones I use. Never paid a dime to them since I pay off statement balance each month. I prefer the rewards of the Costco Visa because it pays me an annual cash. I just go to Costco and cash my check. The others aren't same cash back from what I've seen. You have to trade in for gift cards or something like that and not dollar for dollar so not as convenient or rewarding in my experience.
SLAJMARTIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:22 AM   #61

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
We have proudly been credit card free for over 15 years. We use a bank debit card for everything.

I understand that. We got into credit card debt twice. Once for $20K and had to close out my 401K to pay it off. Second time I refinanced our truck so I could see light at the end of the tunnel. I said never again. Now I use a credit card for everything I buy but if I can't afford to pay it off when the bill comes due, I don't buy it. I learned my lesson. Now I'm reaping the rewards of my error with hundreds in cash back savings each year.
SLAJMARTIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:38 AM   #62

this question is like asking where do you buy gasoline
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:55 PM   #63

we've primarily used Discover for over 35 years. 1% on all purchases, plus 5% on rotating categories that we always sign up for. The reason we stick with this vs some other cards with slightly higher rebate rates is that with Discover the cash back is available immediately.

We used to have the Sam's Club Master Card. It's rebate rate was a little higher, but it was only paid once per year. We had to hang onto the card until we got the rebate, then canceled it. We probably forfeited a small amount when we canceled, but it wasn't worth hanging on to it.

We also have Good Sam Visa. Again, a slightly higher rebate rate, but you have to accumulate x points to redeem them, usually for gift cards to various businesses. Those credit amounts vary whether or not they're a good deal based on how many points you redeem. Most of 'em aren't a good deal. Some points can be taken as a balance credit, but the redemption ration really sucks.

So it's not just the rebate rates, but how you can actually take advantage of them.

And yes, we pay in full each month so never incur any fees or interest. Actually, I usually make a couple payments each month to keep the balance low so that it won't affect my utilization rate for credit scores.