Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
There ya go! Perfect solution, and you will get more use and fun than a house generator
True for us! However we live in a metro area and don't typically have extreme weather or lengthy power outages. I think a whole-house generator is definitely a good solution for many people.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #16

Even after 4 days without power a couple years ago in a big record breaking ice storm,, I can't talk the DW into a "standby" generator here... That was the first time ever I(we) had been without power more than a few hours. We did have (and still do) a little Briggs and Stratton 4K generator,, it ran our furnace , a couple lights, and warmed a pot of water for baths,, or the microwave for hot meals... We were the only one here in our neighborhood just 3 miles out of town,, I broke the ice off of the above ground pool to get water to flush the toilets,,(240volt well) now she made me get rid of the pool,, good grief,,, She says I can go the mile down to the lake... Maybe I'll just park my Jeep next time and make her drive her little honda car down there... Ya Right... Guess I'm saying,, what's it worth to BE PREPARED ??? That was part of my Boy Scout stuff... (I have ammo) .....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree about the MH and leaving the aflicted area - as I mentioned above we have the gas genny for the short term outages, longer term we would likely 'get out'a Dodge'. We keep the MH gassed and ready to travel as a contingency.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
I have a 12 KW Kohler that I bought online about two years ago. I think the cost was over $3,000. I did most of the installation myself. This is a back up for my solar system. This is a propane generator and I have a large propane tank that I fill about once a year. Previously I had a 10 KW Onan Diesel and that also worked well but was not in a sound deadening enclosure. Unless I am outside near the Kohler generator I can only tell when it is running by looking at the remote panel. I can buy propane for between $3 & $4 but off road diesel is normally above $4 in this area.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #19

We have an emergency generator and a 500 gallon propane tank to run it for weeks if need be.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #20

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
We researched this last year after another storm left us without electricity for 10 days. We've had several in the last few years with the longest time being 18 days without power. As mentioned, you need to figure out the likelyhood of losing ALL your utilities. For us, anything short of a major earthquake, natural gas will be the last to go. So for us, a natural gas generator is the best option. The downside to NG is that you have to figure in about a 7-10% power deficit as compared to gasoline or diesel. I desperately want to put in a 17-20 kw NG genny, but can't afford it right now.

As for Generac vs Kohler....get the Kohler if you can afford it. Generacs are decent, bt Kohler has been in heavy duty commercial use for a looong time.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacmat View Post
If I had such a large generator, 10,15 or 20 kw it would be diesel, and I would also have a permanent 200 gallon fuel tank connected to it. I presume a large generator is quite expensive and adding a large fuel tank would be a minimal additional cost.
How long will 200 gallons of diesel stay usable? I don't know the answer but with with gasoline even with Stabil in the tank you are pushing your luck after one year. Diesel can gel in extremely low temps and can get real funky with algae. Natural gas is a no-brainer if disruption is unlikely, propane will be pretty safe under most conditions.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
How long will 200 gallons of diesel stay usable? I don't know the answer but with with gasoline even with Stabil in the tank you are pushing your luck after one year. Diesel can gel in extremely low temps and can get real funky with algae. Natural gas is a no-brainer if disruption is unlikely, propane will be pretty safe under most conditions.
Diesel is more like oil than gas, it can last a very long time (+5-10 years) IF algaecide is added and water is kept out. Those two limiting factors are the only things that could cause diesel to go bad. A good water separator and filter and occasional addition of algaecide will keep the lights on a long time. A gasoline generator has issues with gas going bad, gummed up injectors or carburetor, fouled plugs, etc. Between diesel and gas - I'd go diesel. LP or Natural gas - LP will last indefinately in a storage tank, NG you are at the mercy of the supplier up the pipe. Maybe O.K. in a storm, but in an earthquake, you could be left without.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator