Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2015, 06:40 PM   #15

We almost always pick back-ins. In summer, the shade and privacy is usually better. I will sometimes pick a pull-through site if we will have several vehicles for a family get-together. Those sites are often longer.
tinkerreknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2015, 07:32 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Either. I do like the convenience of a pull-through for just an overnight stay. But I have also found that back-up sites have more privacy and have more shade.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:42 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
I like to back into pull-though sites just to give the neighbors something to talk about later.
CaptainGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGeezer View Post
I like to back into pull-though sites just to give the neighbors something to talk about later.

Back in with your toad attached my guess. Right??

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:25 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
Back in with your toad attached my guess. Right??

Russell
My hero....

Dan
Old 09-06-2015, 08:39 PM   #20

I do like a pull thru if I'm arriving after dark, otherwise I like trees and privacy and the outside of the loop.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:51 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
If its a one night stand, I prefer drive thru. Other than that, I shoot for privacy and maybe a view, doesn't make any difference if I need to back in or not.
This sounds like a date that you don't want your buddies to know about.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:06 AM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I like back in's because they are usually cheaper. And yes, I'm man enough to admit that, when I first got my RV, I put a few dents in it backing into sites. But I got them fixed and have no problems backing in now.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:11 AM   #23

When it comes down to a one nighter, I get lazy. A pull thru , cause generally the toad stays put.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:26 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
I can put mine anywhere. So it don't matter to me what anyone think. If we are traveling -point A to point B- I prefer pull thru so I don't have to unhook toad. Where we winter they have 520 sites. Every one is a back-in site.

Russell
Ditto, but add that many times nicely spaced back ins on the outside of a large loop might allow you to back in w/attached toad. If I can line things up to allow a nearly straight back entry - that's pretty much what's going to happen.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:05 AM   #25

I just want the best site I can have, with a strong preference to be able to use my satellite, but for an over nighter a pull though that I don't have to detach the toad is preferable.

Being new to RVing, one of the things that seems to be a big deal is backing up a MH. That video Lazy Days has makes it sound like some huge ordeal, putting little marks on the side
of your rig, your co pilot standing exactly at some spot on the site, etc. You would think its like docking an aircraft carrier, but it's really no big deal backing up as long as you have a co pilot with a Walkie talkie keeping you from doing something stupid, but it is really no different maneuvering in any other tight space. It does amaze me how many times I see someone pulling into thier space in any type of RV and thier co pilot never gets out to help.......

I'm picky to boot, so half the time with a pull though I still end up backing up a time or two to get it exactly where I want it once I get out and see where I am in the site (after disconnecting the toad of course). On over nighters with a pull though that you can keep the toad attached, good enough on the first try is good enough.

I have also had a pull though that there was no way I was going to drive straight out of. It was a very long site, but the front of it dipped way down to the right, while the main road went up steeply to the left. It would have twisted the coach like a wet noodle, so I backed out of that one........
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:10 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
If its a one night stand, I prefer drive thru. Other than that, I shoot for privacy and maybe a view, doesn't make any difference if I need to back in or not.
Agreed with one caveat. I try to find a site with view of DirecTV satellites to keep the co-pilot happy.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:10 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
After 25 yrs owning a bus company my policy was - if you can't back it up, you are not qualified to drive it forward.
TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:20 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
We like the back-in spaces, too. But we will disqualify one that is too close to a highway or dumpster or Kaibo (pit toilet). Sometimes we will use a back-in space backwards (nose first), view and privacy factors considered. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote