Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #15

Thanks folks, I will check on the items Ron suggested. This one does come with a starting battery and maintainer included in the price. I am looking at a monitoring system that will call my cell and update me when the generator is running.
They are going to install it in early November.
This is it.
http://www.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/generators/home-generator-systems/products/10kw-with-200-amp-transfer-switch
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2014, 11:43 AM   #16

Did you use your generator mounted in your RV as your backup source?
JoyceDeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:59 PM   #17

Hi JoyceDeanC
Not sure I understand your question. The backup generator sits behind the house and turns on when the grid goes down. It then turns off when the grid power returns. It does not have anything to do with the genny in the motorhome. We are in Florida in the motorhome now and the backup system back home in New York has already been in use. Just real piece of mind.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:32 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My only advice is to do an enegery audit.. Decide what you want to put on the emergency panel... And find out the max you will need, I think 10,000 is kind of ... Overkill.

On the E-panel
Mandatory:
Furnace
Refrigerator
Freezer
Sump Pump if you have one.
Selected lights.
Television, radio, computer, network.
Optional
Air conditioner
Everythign else in house.

NOTE This assumes you cook with gas
If you cook with electrons (Electricity) Then 10,000 might be closer to your needs.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:40 PM   #19

Quick update. We did have the 10K generator installed. The change over box (panel) is wired in between the meter and the breaker box. When the grid power goes off the system waits one minute and starts the generator. After about another minute the panel switches the whole house over to the generator. About a minute after the grid comes on, the panel switches back to the grid and shuts off the generator. That switchover back to the grid is seamless. Even the microwave doesn't lose time. This is all automatic and requires no switching from the homeowner. I picked the 10K because it came with the starting battery, a float charger, full house change over panel, and other innovations not on the smaller units and the price difference was small. It has already run at least once since we have been in Florida.

Tags
generator