Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2021, 12:48 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Why Are Container/Cargo Ships Lined Up off Los Angeles/Long Beach?

I came across this video on YouTube:

Sal Mercogliano , an instructor in Maritime Industry Policy for the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy - discusses the Top 5 Reasons for the massive backup of shipping of container ships off the Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach as a result of maritime issues.

Kind of an interesting look at what's going on in the shipping industry and the consequences resulting in supply shortages.

Take care,
Stu

P.S. Yeah, I know...38 minutes long.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2021, 01:31 PM   #2

Lack of qualified Workers....crane operators, loaders, truck drivers

And that didn't take 38 minutes
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 01:38 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Lack of qualified Workers....crane operators, loaders, truck drivers

And that didn't take 38 minutes
No doubt, that's part of the problem. Are you suggesting that's the only reason?

Take care,
Stu
Old 10-08-2021, 01:51 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Union regulations prevent 24x7 port operations, modernized computer systems, and automated dispatching.

That's just a few more reasons.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 02:26 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
  • Sulphur 2020
  • The Shipping Act of 1984/The Ocean Shipping Reform Act of 1998 resulting in de-regulation
  • Introduction of Triple-E Class container ships carrying 18,000 containers
  • Limited infrastructure partially due to consolidation shipping routes to ports capable of servicing the ULCS
  • And, yes, shortages of longshoremen and truck/rail transport
There's quite a bit more to the problem than just a lack of qualified workers.

Take care,
Stu
Old 10-08-2021, 02:36 PM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
I came across this video on YouTube:

Sal Mercogliano , an instructor in Maritime Industry Policy for the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy - discusses the Top 5 Reasons for the massive backup of shipping of container ships off the Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach as a result of maritime issues.

Kind of an interesting look at what's going on in the shipping industry and the consequences resulting in supply shortages.

Take care,
Stu

P.S. Yeah, I know...38 minutes long.
Thanks Stu, I still don't have confidence that I am understanding the problem, any quick bullet points you can share may help and I did watch the entire video. It is not that I didn't understand what I heard (and I have heard much of the same from other sources) but it still doesn't all add up to me.

The claim is 5 things primarily as I understand. 1) Lack of truck drivers 2) lack of dock workers 3) lack of shipping vessels 4) lack of items to ship 5) and of course most often I hear it is not any one thing but all these things.

So, are the shipyard docks slowed down because of a lack of truck drivers and rail availability? It doesn't seem that is the case as the reports are that the ships simply are not getting unloaded due to a lack of shipyard dock hands. However a quick search on a few job search websites doesn't indicate any hiring initiatives for any of the shipping yards for dock hands, crane operators, or truck drivers. If the issue is as also claimed, that the countries where most goods are manufactured are not able to produce goods at the same rate than they used to and there is a supply shortage, if so then why would there even be a need for more ships, dock workers, and truck drivers? I would think that if there is a lot less manufacturing overseas (which I suspect is true) then it seems to me that there would be less ships needed and less dock workers and less truck drivers needed as well, not more of them.

In any case, I am not comfortable with what I am being told, something else seems to be going on in my opinion. Time will tell. Thanks for sharing. ~CA
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 12:51 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Saw a video of the LA dock area the other day. They had containers stacked all over the place and were unable to get them hauled out due to lack of trucks and drivers according to that report.

Glenn
Old 10-10-2021, 11:03 AM   #8

There was an interview with a driver the other day who said he was having issues getting unloaded at warehouses. He was down from being able to move (and get paid for) an average of eight containers a day two years ago to two or three now. The docks only have so much real estate, if they can't get containers moved out, they can't bring more in.
As has already been pointed out, there are quite a few factors at work there. This just being one more.
GypsyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Union regulations prevent 24x7 port operations, modernized computer systems, and automated dispatching.

That's just a few more reasons.
The ports are now operating 24/7

Now if we could just find truck drivers.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:23 PM   #10

From what I heard today (have not validated), California passed regulation that truckers had to be employees versus independent contractors. Lots of truckers own their own rigs and are independent. Not allowed to work the ports.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 05:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
From what I heard today (have not validated), California passed regulation that truckers had to be employees versus independent contractors. Lots of truckers own their own rigs and are independent. Not allowed to work the ports.
This true. You won’t see it in the news. Cali has a law called AB5 that prevents owner operators from working the ports. Also they have a law that says all trucks working the ports have to be 2011 or newer model
RangerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:13 PM   #12

Seems political...

We need a business person in their running the show.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:37 PM   #13

Don't put all of the blame on CA. Oakland sits nearly idle as LA is hopelessly backlogged. The decision to use which port is in the hands of the shipping companies.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/vi...ips-to-unload/
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote