Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2016, 09:46 PM   #1

Why doesn't someone make-

Just thinking about threads talking about rig height.
How many actually know how tall their rig is?
Just like axle weights, I bet not many know their height.

Why doesn't someone make a device that stands on 2 poles (one either side of a drive lane) using LED (infrared) technology to measure rig height as it passes through the gate?
A strip of IR transmitters on one side and receivers on the other and the highest one that gets blocked tells the height.

It could be shown on a digital screen at the end of the lane.

Maybe a vendor could make one up and bring to rallies or something?
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2016, 05:47 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
Maybe a vendor could make one up and bring to rallies or something?
Maybe, until then I guess a 2X4, a level and a tape measure will have to suffice.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:38 AM   #3

I just go by (kind of) what the manufactures' spec. In my case Tiffin says my height is 12'7"; ergo my absolute minimum height I would try is 13'. If it says 12'11" I am not going there.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
I just go by (kind of) what the manufactures' spec. In my case Tiffin says my height is 12'7"; ergo my absolute minimum height I would try is 13'. If it says 12'11" I am not going there.
If Tiffin measures the height the same as Winnebago the 12' 7" height is to the top of the highest standard feature on the roof. In our case that would be the TV antenna. However if you order an optional item like a satellite dish/dome the actual height of the tallest feature could be taller than the published number.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:39 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Nobody makes a device like that because nobody would buy it! It's too easy to measure it other ways.

With the MH air bags in "Travel" mode, I measure from the ground to the roof. If your rig was a 5th wheel then you would measure to the highest point on the roof. Then I use a long carpenter's level, place one end on my satellite dome (highest object on the roof), raise the other end so it shows level. then measure from that end down to the roof. Adding the two figures together gives me the correct height of the MH!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:46 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I just drove thru lower and lower overpasses until it scrapped, then I knew
Old 11-07-2016, 09:05 AM   #7

I know how high our 5vr is, because it had to fit in our 12' garage doors...I measured it at the dealer before we bought it. And I know axle weights,,, oh ya I'm a trucker.... (for what its worth)
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:36 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Why wouldn't a laser measure be used? You would need to measure from the highest point to the roof, then from the roof to the ground and add the two to get the total height?
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrySharon View Post
Why wouldn't a laser measure be used? You would need to measure from the highest point to the roof, then from the roof to the ground and add the two to get the total height?
Na, too simple.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:05 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrySharon View Post

Larry, how are you gonna measure from the top of an A/C or satellite dome down to the roof without doing the long level thingy like I mentioned? With the level, the laser measuring device would be great!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:08 AM   #11

Interstate 95 in Georgia has one. It says " If the lights start flashing get off next exit ".
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 05:11 PM   #12

Yes but wouldn't it be interesting to have it at some big rallies set up on the way in. Might start some interesting conversations..
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:29 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Larry, how are you gonna measure from the top of an A/C or satellite dome down to the roof without doing the long level thingy like I mentioned? With the level, the laser measuring device would be great!
I can't think of everything. LOL I suppose you could use a 1 by 2 and duct tape the measuring device and then you can lay the 1 by 2 stick across the top of whatever and then lay it on the roof remembering to point the measuring device in the correct direction. Or else you won't get an accurate reading.
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:38 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What? You want to hurt the sale of A/C Units and Satellite Dishes along with the guys that repair roofs? How un-American if you, the tunnel or bridge willl let you know the correct heights in a heartbeat...Then just read the sign giving clearance and you will know your new clearance...