Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2023, 08:07 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wolf Creek Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
Our first motorhome HERE, we owned from 1983 to 2007. (24 years) That thing was a real slug with only 96hp. 57 mph was it's cruising speed period. Going faster reduced fuel economy by 25% (It got over 20 MPG during trips) but worse yet, going faster made the rig difficult to handle. Needless to say, we always made the open road travelers around us very unhappy. The only thing we ever passed was farm equipment.

Because we were young with children working with a limited amount of vacation time, we drove 24/7 across the country to get to our destinations to gain a few extra vacation days. It was also better for the kids, having them sleep through half the drive.
Hi Ron, I enjoyed the pix of your older motorhome. Nice looking rig. It brought a smile to my face because it reminded me of a story:

Years ago, my sister-in-law and her husband (John) lived in Alamosa, CO while they were going to college. John worked at a service station pumping gas trying to make ends meet.

One day a motorhome on a Toyota chassis pulled into the pump. A frazzled looking driver got out to stretch while getting fuel. He looked around and then said, "Boy, that pass was tough. I wasn't sure I was going to make it!" He then asked, "What is the next pass like?"

John, being a taciturn Colorado mountain boy, paused a second, scratched his had and asked a question of his own, "Which way did you come from?" The motorhome driver answered, "From the east on US160 and we are headed for Pagosa Springs." John paused for a moment, John never gets in a hurry with his words. Then John says, "I reckon you should turn around and go back." The motorhome driver asked, "WHY?" John says after a moment, "If you thought the last pass was bad you probably won't make it over the next one."

To the east of Alamosa is La Veta Pass. Considered one of the milder passes in Colorado. To the west of Alamosa is Wolf Creek Pass. Considered one of the most difficult passes in Colorado, especially in early 1980's when this occurred. Since then most of the tight curves and really steep grades have been reduced by re-engineering the highway. Wolf Creek Pass is not as challenging it was when C. W. McCall recorded this

I swear, a true story, the name changed to protect the guilty!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2023, 11:48 PM   #2

When I think back on it we did both Slumgullion Pass and Wolf Creek Pass coming from Montrose on one rainy day. Wolf Creek was been repaved and we had to drive miles on wet gravel. It was on a Sunday so no workers were there. When we pulled into Pagosa Springs and told the manager about our very tiring day he gave us a free night!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 09:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
When I think back on it we did both Slumgullion Pass and Wolf Creek Pass coming from Montrose on one rainy day. Wolf Creek was been repaved and we had to drive miles on wet gravel. It was on a Sunday so no workers were there. When we pulled into Pagosa Springs and told the manager about our very tiring day he gave us a free night!!
What memories. My first encounter with Wolf Creek Pass was 50 years ago in 1973 on our honeymoon when we had to stop half ways up the mountain and put tire chains on. We had spent the night in Purgatory and no snow had been predicted. We were in my 1972 GS Riviera which was identical to the one in the picture. What a time in our life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A7207BA4-5029-4762-9DBB-FE3E9882FAFE.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	388483  
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 10:59 PM   #4
PKI

Wolfe Creek Pass - My Father was driving the Boy Scout Bus up the pass. That old GMC did OK, but it only made that type of grade in granny gear. With 30 boys, their gear and a camp kitchen trailer fully loaded with rations for a two week trip in tow, it was heavy .

Now as the bus was climbing the grade, our Scout Master, an able fellow of aging years, leaned over and shouted to my Dad - "Slow Down a bit so the boys can see the scenery." At the time, the bus might have been doing 3-5 mph, but that old GMC six was screaming to build torque. It did make it to the top of the Wolfe Creek Pass Grade. Note - that would have been about 1965.

It was not until about 2018 that I drove the WCP towing our trailer. We did not slow down to watch the scenery.
PKI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 06:54 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Wolfe Creek Pass - My Father was driving the Boy Scout Bus up the pass. That old GMC did OK, but it only made that type of grade in granny gear. With 30 boys, their gear and a camp kitchen trailer fully loaded with rations for a two week trip in tow, it was heavy .

Now as the bus was climbing the grade, our Scout Master, an able fellow of aging years, leaned over and shouted to my Dad - "Slow Down a bit so the boys can see the scenery." At the time, the bus might have been doing 3-5 mph, but that old GMC six was screaming to build torque. It did make it to the top of the Wolfe Creek Pass Grade. Note - that would have been about 1965.

It was not until about 2018 that I drove the WCP towing our trailer. We did not slow down to watch the scenery.

(CHUCKLE)

I'm surprised you didn't have to stop a couple times to let the old girl cool off!

Automotive cooling systems have come a long ways. When I was a kid we always lived in the mountains or deserts. Some of my fun memories are the break from travel and the chance to play while Dad's old car cooled off. He always carried a couple canvas water bags on the front bumper. Good for drinking, good for cooling off the fuel pump and good for replacing engine coolant if needed!

Those were the good old days....or maybe bad old days depending on your perspective.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:24 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In the 70's I lived and went to college at Fort Lewis in Durango. My first experience with Wolf Creek Pass was driving my '66 Plymouth over it at night. The Plymouth was set up for lower altitude driving (no computers and fuel injection in those days), so it was 5 miles an hour up the pass. In those days Wolf Creek was 2 lane in a lot of places as I remember and when I got near the summit the engine quit. On a curve. At night.
I managed to finally get it restarted and headed down the other side, dang near burned out my brakes because I had no idea how to drive in the mountains back then.
It was a hair-raising experience for sure.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote