Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2017, 10:45 AM   #1

Wonder why i have not seen any snakes here yet

Im not disapointed, i dont mind a bit. However it is strange that up here by lake fork i have not seen a single snake. Not a garden snake or anything. You would think with all the grass and bugs around here there would at least be a garden or bull snake. I dont expect to see a rattle snake or anything like that but its strange to see nothing anywhere. Its not normal i tell ya
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 HD cooling
Durango Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2017, 10:57 AM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Where is Lake Fork?

This is my 7th summer in the suburban Seattle area. I enjoy dirt therapy and spend a lot of time working in the yard. I have never seen a snake or a snake skin. And for that I'm grateful.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Where is Lake Fork?

This is my 7th summer in the suburban Seattle area. I enjoy dirt therapy and spend a lot of time working in the yard. I have never seen a snake or a snake skin. And for that I'm grateful.
Its in east texas just a tad bit northeast of dallas
Old 07-29-2017, 11:07 AM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I lived in Arlington, TX years ago and saw snakes all the time. There must be a good crop of predators where you are. I'm not sure what might eat snakes, tho.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-29-2017, 11:16 AM   #5

Just cause you don't see them sure don't mean they are not there !I'm 100 miles east of you and see many everyday working in the woods mostly copper heads ! On lake Fork I would bet they come out at night for the frogs and bare feet ???
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I lived in Arlington, TX years ago and saw snakes all the time. There must be a good crop of predators where you are. I'm not sure what might eat snakes, tho.
Gators here are up north so not around here, but there are stork like birds that walk in the water so i guess they could eat them along with fish. I have not seen any owls here yet either. There were some pebble droppings in my yard the other day so it might be rabbit or maybe racoon and a racoon might eat them im not sure.

It could be also that they try to keep the grass really short here and that might deter them from coming around. I do look around me all the time while im sitting there fishing as i know some critters are good at the silent approach.

I would actually love to see some bullsnakes, i would even put some around under my trailer if i could. Rattlers wont come around if a bull snake is around because bull snakes (just like king snakes in florida) kill rattlers.

Swampdog, i could do without the copperhead, they are not very friendly lol... i hope your always careful where you step, be safe...
Old 07-29-2017, 12:49 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
dude
i live on lake fork....we have lots of snakes
cotton mouths (in various colors), rattle snakes( although far a few between), bull whips, etc.
the most common you may see are bull whip snakes that from afar look like a cottonmouth (black).

the deadly snakes you may be looking for don't usually venture out in mowed grass, they hide in the tall areas and under dead trees, if you are in the campground, most likely all the noise and mowed areas keep them out of sight generally.

we have a very friendly little snake that at full size is 10" to 14", yes inches long. its a texas pine snake, they look like a baby cottonmouth or rattle snake depending on the area they are inhabiting. they will curl up in your hand and hang out. they hid under flowers and in mulched areas, wont hurt you

GATORS,,,,,yes there are many in the lake, lots and lots.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
dude
i live on lake fork....we have lots of snakes
cotton mouths (in various colors), rattle snakes( although far a few between), bull whips, etc.
the most common you may see are bull whip snakes that from afar look like a cottonmouth (black).

the deadly snakes you may be looking for don't usually venture out in mowed grass, they hide in the tall areas and under dead trees, if you are in the campground, most likely all the noise and mowed areas keep them out of sight generally.

we have a very friendly little snake that at full size is 10" to 14", yes inches long. its a texas pine snake, they look like a baby cottonmouth or rattle snake depending on the area they are inhabiting. they will curl up in your hand and hang out. they hid under flowers and in mulched areas, wont hurt you

GATORS,,,,,yes there are many in the lake, lots and lots.
Yes i am at the resort on FM17, thanks for the tips now i know alittle more about the areas animals. I will eventually have a flowerbed so maybe ill get to see a friendly pine snake. I have never seen a cottonmouth as we dont have them where i lived in New Mexico, they are not a desert snake. So ill have to check out some pics on google.

Re gators, the people here say they have never seen one around here and some of them have been here 15 years or better. I always stand back from the shore just in case, and i always wear my pistol when fishing just in case. I would hate to prove them wrong in the worst way lol... They say you have to shoot them right between the eyes to kill them. I dont plan on shooting anything gatorwise unless it attacks me then its gonna get shot, and lets hope my target practice pays off.

Living in the green belt is a totally different survival set of skills than living in the desert so im still learning. I have been trying to remember this saying..

Quote:
Red touch black, safe for Jack. Red touches yellow, kills a fellow.
You say there are lots of them, what part of the lake are you at?
Old 07-29-2017, 01:07 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dave View Post
Yes i am at the resort on FM17, thanks for the tips now i know alittle more about the areas animals. I will eventually have a flowerbed so maybe ill get to see a friendly pine snake. I have never seen a cottonmouth as we dont have them where i lived in New Mexico, they are not a desert snake. So ill have to check out some pics on google.

Re gators, the people here say they have never seen one around here and some of them have been here 15 years or better. I always stand back from the shore just in case, and i always wear my pistol when fishing just in case. I would hate to prove them wrong in the worst way lol... They say you have to shoot them right between the eyes to kill them. I dont plan on shooting anything gatorwise unless it attacks me then its gonna get shot, and lets hope my target practice pays off.

You say there are lots of them, what part of the lake are you at?
we are over near the 154 bridge going towards quitman.
gators, go take a look around the fish cleaning stations around the docks and piers. clean a few fish and you will see some small ones venture around.
i doubt you will ever see one up on the bank in the park or on the ramps, to many other areas to sun and be safe.
having dinner tonight at veronas on 17 with a guy that has pics of them around his fish cleaning station, he does catfish charters. i will get him to send me a pic
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides

Old 07-29-2017, 01:22 PM   #10

Ok thanks so much.. I was just reading this..

Venomous Snake Safety — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

Funny story how out of touch i am with these parts and not puting 2 and 2 together. I was fishing from the dock here the other day and i had gotten a bright yellow rubber lizard from the bait shop. And so i tossed it out there and i was sitting there thinking about stuff at random just daydreaming and i happen to think to myself, why would a lizard be in the water, lizards dont swim. And then it hit me duh its not a lizard its a baby aligator dude. The light bulb came on lol
Old 07-29-2017, 01:33 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dave View Post
Ok thanks so much.. I was just reading this..

Venomous Snake Safety — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

Funny story how out of touch i am with these parts and not puting 2 and 2 together. I was fishing from the dock here the other day and i had gotten a bright yellow rubber lizard from the bait shop. And so i tossed it out there and i was sitting there thinking about stuff at random just daydreaming and i happen to think to myself, why would a lizard be in the water, lizards dont swim. And then it hit me duh its not a lizard its a baby aligator dude. The light bulb came on lol
i just use this as caution, if i am close enough to see if its an imposter or a deadly snake.....i am to close.

the only exception is the pine snake, after i got to know them from the yard, i can spot one easily at a safe distance to know its just a little harmless fella.
bull whips can fool you very easy and act, hiss and swell up just like a cotton mouth. enough that you have to look three times to make sure its a harmless one.
i would venture you have many of them around the campground, they eat mice and rats with a voracious appetite, with it being so hot and no rain for 11 days, they are hiding in a cool place waiting for evening temps

we get a few gulley washers like we had all spring....snakes will be moving around the ditches

Old 07-29-2017, 01:37 PM   #12

i was wondering about the rain too... and i noticed that the decks here are about 2ft off the ground so that tells me that there may be some sudden flooding here at times around the lake. That might be to help keep snakes from making a home under the decks as well.

By the way im on the other side of the lake from you so that might make a difference. 515 and FM 17 veronas is just a block or two from here.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:39 PM   #13

Probably too hot during the day. Just be mindful at night when you step out of your RV.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:59 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dave,

About shooting gators -- if you can belive the gator hunters on the TV show, Swamp People, there is a kill spot about the size of a quarter on the top side -- where the head meets the body. Most of the skull is too thick.

Snakes are the main reason why I left rural Oklahoma. I went into the chicken coop about dusk one night and reached into a nest and found a huge rat snake instead of eggs. And then there was the time I was out working on the riding mower in the barn. When I backed out a 5' copperhead slithered out. It had been only inches from my feet for over 30 minutes.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]