Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2021, 04:41 PM   #71

How can a minimum wage employer of part time employees compete with the Government? As long as our govt will give people more or equal money to stay home, most people will stay home.
Bob
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2021, 04:45 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalGerBrit View Post
Wonder who you voted for?
John Maynard Keynes!

( https://fee.org/articles/how-wages-a...interventions/ )

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Old 04-22-2021, 04:45 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
Don't take this as smart-aleck - it's surely not, I have much invested in the old life returning too - but with the recent talk about all of this anti-pandemic behavior becoming the new norm (does the vaccine last? - will the virus just mutate a bit? - is the next Covid sitting in a lab somewhere? - can we ever go back to mingling in unprotected crowds?) are we all maybe just waiting for our buggy whips to start selling again? Are incomes that are dependent upon crowds no longer possible?

I'm beginning to suspect that the people who come out of this on top will be those who can alter their models to work in a non-contact environment. I'm including food prep in this.

(This has to be particularly painful for performance-related professionals who, because of the Intellectual Property paradigm change, started to rely on live performance over recording for their income and now see live performance dropping away too.)
I know people whose livelihood is conventions and shows. Eight suicides so far.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:46 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS56 View Post
I'm really curious what the world will be like after this is all over - unemployment subsidies, stimulus checks, everyone has the covid vaccine.

The only places I go to these days are - Walmart, Gas Stations, RV Parks, and maybe a fast food place. Anything else, I need I get from Amazon.

I have no interest in going to:
Malls
Restaurants
Movie
Most any other type of store
You are contributing to the problem. Perhaps skip Walmart and Amazon (CEO Jeff Bezos is the richest man in the US) and malls, instead buy at local mom and pop stores, restaurants, and gas stations. Buy local and your money supports the local economy and local workers.

In my area the cost of living is so high that people willing to work for minimum wage have been priced out. It's not that they're lazy or sitting at home getting free government money, it's that they have had to move away because it's not possible to rent a place to live even working 2 or 3 full-time minimum wage jobs.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:53 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by partygrrl View Post
You are contributing to the problem. Perhaps skip Walmart and Amazon (CEO Jeff Bezos is the richest man in the US) and malls, instead buy at local mom and pop stores, restaurants, and gas stations. Buy local and your money supports the local economy and local workers.

In my area the cost of living is so high that people willing to work for minimum wage have been priced out. It's not that they're lazy or sitting at home getting free government money, it's that they have had to move away because it's not possible to rent a place to live even working 2 or 3 full-time minimum wage jobs.
I've heard about Mom and Pop restaurants still existing.

I'm not going to patronize a store to buy something I don't want or need.

Most other places are large corporations or franchises of large corporations.
Old 04-22-2021, 05:03 PM   #76

I am not even sure I understand your response. Yes, mom and pop restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores and hardware stores still exist! But if people (like you), would rather eat at fast food, shop at Walmart and buy from Amazon then you are not helping our local economy survive.
Old 04-22-2021, 05:13 PM   #77

Quote:
I'm not going to patronize a store to buy something I don't want or need.
Do you pay taxes?

Sort of the same idea. We all chip in to buy things even if those things don't directly benefit ourselves. We do it because we believe that they do benefit our own society as a whole.

Sometimes the "Buy Local" or "Buy American" ideas end up limiting our choices, but the impetus for them lies in the belief that we ultimately end up better off in spite of that. Our "Ma and Pa" places stay healthy and keep paying their own employees, who buy more things from other businesses and pay their taxes and don't need welfare and keep our local economy healthier, which makes our lives better.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Old 04-22-2021, 05:13 PM   #78

Ford Super Duty Owner
This was happening before covid.
I'm not buying the free money excuse. In my area it is that the workers are wising up to working for crap wages.
One lady has a property (apartments) management business And owns 400 storage rentals and is a landlord herself. She was on facebook asking why she couldn't get good help from the local temp agencies.
I went t though the taco bell drive though yesterday. Sign next to the order stand said "Now Hiring $11-$13 Per Hour"
Working for someone is a simple business transaction. The worker sells his time. The simplest way to get workers is to advertise your price list for the number of years of experience. There is no need for this "Pay-DOE" This is code for I will hire the cheapest person I can. Just come right out and say I will pay this for one hour of doing this.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Old 04-22-2021, 05:18 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by partygrrl View Post
I am not even sure I understand your response. Yes, mom and pop restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores and hardware stores still exist! But if people (like you), would rather eat at fast food, shop at Walmart and buy from Amazon then you are not helping our local economy survive.
OK....
Old 04-22-2021, 05:23 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthla View Post
Yup!, Yup, Yup and Yup!!!!!
lol Nope nope and nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalGerBrit View Post
Wonder who you voted for?
Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
This was happening before covid.
I'm not buying the free money excuse. In my area it is that the workers are wising up to working for crap wages.
One lady has a property (apartments) management business And owns 400 storage rentals and is a landlord herself. She was on facebook asking why she couldn't get good help from the local temp agencies.
I went t though the taco bell drive though yesterday. Sign next to the order stand said "Now Hiring $11-$13 Per Hour"
Working for someone is a simple business transaction. The worker sells his time. The simplest way to get workers is to advertise your price list for the number of years of experience. There is no need for this "Pay-DOE" This is code for I will hire the cheapest person I can. Just come right out and say I will pay this for one hour of doing this.
This.

Anyone who thinks stimulus money is about keeping people home doesn't have a basic understanding of economics.

Funny how there's no mention of the billions in stimulus that went to large corporations that have shareholders and resources to borrow against, but yea, let's slam the most bottom-tier workers for trying to get by.

BTW, that's our money we're getting back, in a time of great need.

And no, I haven't missed one day of work. I transitioned 10 years of lesson plans to online learning in less than ten days.
Old 04-22-2021, 05:24 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
Do you pay taxes?

Sort of the same idea. We all chip in to buy things even if those things don't directly benefit ourselves. We do it because we believe that they do benefit our own society as a whole.

Sometimes the "Buy Local" or "Buy American" ideas end up limiting our choices, but the impetus for them lies in the belief that we ultimately end up better off in spite of that. Our "Ma and Pa" places stay healthy and keep paying their own employees, who buy more things from other businesses and pay their taxes and don't need welfare and keep our local economy healthier, which makes our lives better.
So a vegetarian has to buy meat at a butchers?

A person who doesn't own a gas vehicle has to buy gas?

I don't know where all theses m&p owned grocery stores, gas stations etc are . I don't see them in my travels.

The only places I see m&p grocery stores are in inner cities bodegas. And driving a TT to shop there to support them would take me far out of the way.
Old 04-22-2021, 05:29 PM   #82

When employees won't work because unemployment benefits exceed their normal wages, it's because the companies' normal compensation is in the poverty range. Pay decently and workers return.
Old 04-22-2021, 05:38 PM   #83

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
And this has to do with RV's how?
My question exactly. Some people just want to express their opinions anywhere they think they might be heard.

Me, I'll stick to RV's. And my opinion on that is I got the best deal ever and even though a few things broke in the first year, it's the best one out there.
Old 04-22-2021, 05:41 PM   #84

Quote:
So a vegetarian has to buy meat at a butchers?

A person who doesn't own a gas vehicle has to buy gas?

I don't know where all theses m&p owned grocery stores, gas stations etc are . I don't see them in my travels.

The only places I see m&p grocery stores are in inner cities bodegas. And driving a TT to shop there to support them would take me far out of the way.
Hyperbole. You're just being contrary. You know very well none of this is true. The other thing it tells me is that you have no interest in knowing.

Would you like to know where commercial commodity food comes from? You'd be shocked, I'm sure. By eating at chain restaurants and buying from national chains, you support the economies of other countries. Now, this really doesn't
bother me per se, but I do avoid brands like JBS, Farmer John, and Smithfield since these are wholly foreign owned (Brazil and China) and both received bailout money and stimulus money during COVID under the previous administration. These companies represent more than 80% of pork processing in this country.

You make wild and sweeping generalizations based on stereotypes, and these are easily dismissed.

Best of luck to you in your travels. I hope you find some peace.
Closed Thread