Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2020, 02:42 PM   #1

World turned upside down

After 4 major motor vehicle accidents, none my fault, I have had over 22 major surgeries since 2004. Ive had over 20 steroid injections no problem. So a month ago I had an injection in my good knee to help pain. A few days later my leg was swollen and couldn't walk on it. Went to doc and got antibiotics shot and went home. 3 days later with a total of about 5 hours sleep total i went to ER. They drained a huge needle out of my knee and admitted me. They performed emergency surgery and had to open up and scrub my knee. They guessed on antibiotics while waiting for the culture. Fortunately they guessed the right antibiotic family and then adjusted to the right antibiotics. It was a MRSA infection and from day 1 gave me a 30 % chance of saving the leg! After 2 weeks I was sent home with a permanent IV line to do a 15 minute antibiotics series every 8 hours. This will go on for up to 6 mo! Well they saved my leg but the surgeon said that no doctor will ever perform a knee replacement on me and steroid injections were now forbidden. So live life knowing that it can turn upside down in an instant. Love life and be grateful for the blessings that you have!
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2020, 02:55 PM   #2

WOW.

So very glad to know you're doing better but sorry to hear that this means no knee replacement. I hope things continue to improve for you.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:36 PM   #3

Sorry to hear of your medical issues.....accidents/surgeries/MRSA and the after affects of that.
Glad to hear you are being taken care of and recovering.

2020 has been a rough year and NOT just because of COVID

Haven't had as many surgeries but did spend over 60 days total in the hospital ending up with 2 bags hanging from my stomach (Ileostomy & Colostomy)
Got the Ileostomy reversed almost a month ago.
Recovery has been so much better this time around

I understand where you are coming from and hope you will continue to recover
Life comes with curve balls but one needs to keep swinging and going forward.
True friends and loved ones are KEY to healthy outcome

Keep at it!!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 05:07 AM   #4

MRSA can be bad, my sister ended up in the hospital with it a few years ago and it was touch and go there for a while.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:30 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
It sounds like you have really been put through the mill. I'm so thankful every day for my good health at 81. Sure hope things improve for you!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 03:31 PM   #6

I had 3 Synvisc injections into my right knee with some relief. Enough relief that insurance agreed to pay for the left knee injections... first left knee injection caused a reaction... about the same as described by the OP....swollen, hot to touch, could not walk on it. This was within 6 hrs of the shot.... 2 dose packs of Prednisone, and a low dose of prednisone for 4 more months, it was back to normal....
Old 11-14-2020, 10:09 PM   #7

Be extremely careful of cortisone injections. I have had at least 20 in my joints with no problems. This one just went septic! I have heard of 3 relatives that had a similar experience recently. All with knee injections! Be extremely careful!
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:08 AM   #8

Yes steroids can cause severe reactions. That's why Dr.s are hesitant to give them long-term. Any time the skin is broken there is a chance for infection, even with sterile needles.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 06:51 PM   #9

Appreciate your post. Terrible, just terrible. The eye opener for me is I have been getting different joints shot for 2 years now. Latest in my neck. You have given me a lot to think about here. While I have heard of this happening, I never really knew how common it was. Bless you with a great recovery. And also I read all the time of new developments to take care of joint issues. Hang in there, could be a new something right around the corner for us with bad joints.
frank1018 is offline   Reply With Quote