Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2005, 01:15 AM   #1

Memories

To me November 22, 1963 still seems like yesterday, although it's years since I was in college and got that news.

Are there others like me?

?
Little Kopit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2005, 01:15 AM   #2

Memories

To me November 22, 1963 still seems like yesterday, although it's years since I was in college and got that news.

Are there others like me?

?
Old 11-22-2005, 04:48 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It is one of those days that all of us who can remember will also remember exactly where we are and what we were doing at the time of the news came in. Like 9/11.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:40 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
4th grade.

Sitting in a circle taking turns reading. My back is to the windows.

Office secretary comes in and whispers to our teacher, Mrs. Beck. Teacher then says: "Boys and girls, I've just gotten some terrible news. The president of the United States has just been shot".

Still pretty vivid, eh?
camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:52 AM   #5

Very vivid. I was woken up to be told the news. In college, sleeping after early morning exam!!! What a way to wake up.

& I was in D.C., working on "The Hill" part-time. You bet I remember, big time.

Old 11-22-2005, 06:01 AM   #6

I was three at the time, but growing up near Dallas it (the aftermath & location) was part of everybody's life in the metroplex.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:24 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I remember it well. I had my appendix removed the night before and was in the hospital and was in the 11th grade. This was in the days that you had to request and pay extra for a TV in the room. They finally got the TV to my room and when it was turned off, the first thing I saw was that the President had been shot.

This goes along with memorial experiences like when the two shuttles exploded and the World trade Center on 9-11. These are things that I will remember forever

But there are good things to remember as well...like the day I married my wife and the day our daughter was born.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 09:05 AM   #8

Grade 7, in Vancouver BC... being on the West coast, we had just come in from morning break (elementary school). Mr. Bennet, my Social Studies teacher, made the announcement to our class, and school was cancelled for the day.
Usually, a day off would have seen the kids hooting as they left the building.... not that day.
Pentax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 03:37 PM   #9

Pentax( new member) Welcome to our forum. Glad you found us. We look forward to hearing from you often. Please explore our web site, maybe pop into the new members forum, introduce yourself to the other members , and as always, we especially welcome fellow Canucks to the Canada Region forum....Brad

I was in Grade 5 Still remember it like yesterday.

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 04:11 PM   #10

A day that remains as vivid now as it was the day it happened, I was in grade 9 just going into history class. It was annouced over the high school PA and there was just stunned silence. I don't think anyone can forget that day.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:16 PM   #11

I was a young man working as a choker setter on a high lead logging crew. When we got back to the crew bus that afternoon, the rigging slinger (crew boss) told us the president had been shot. Union elections were going on at the time and I remember thinking - "why would anyone shoot a union president?" I could not get my mind around the idea that someone had assassinated our president. When the message finally soaked in, I looked around the crew bus and grizzled, work hardened loggers were sitting silent with tears running out of their eyes. As with Pearl Harbor, another day that will live in infamy. A prelude to the divisive politics and the horrible split that occured in the country over the Vietnam War. One of the saddest days of my life. The 42 years since have been a blur and to me too, it will be etched in memory until the day I die.

2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
timz61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 06:31 PM   #12

I was attending Air Force Tech School in Amarillo Texas when the PA system ordered us all to report to the quad center. We all lined up in platoons and the Base Commander stepped out in a broken voice told us that the President has been shot and has died. We spent 15 minutes of silence then went back to our dorms for the rest of the day. I didn't even have dinner that night I was so upset.

2000 Lazy Daze 30 IB
Budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 06:48 PM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I was in Spanish class at Gardner Webb College. The news came over the speaker system.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 04:42 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was on active duty as an HM2 at the US Naval Hospital in Portsmouth, VA