Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2019, 05:50 PM   #1

120 volts on my Neutral side

Have a series problem I can hook a meter up and go from my neutral bar to the metal frame of fuse box and have 120 volts. Had trouble last year and burned up some wires. I feel like my troubles will be in the wires coming from the junction box where I plug in my shore power to. 1993 National RV Dolphine. Does anyone know where the wires from the junction box go to after they leave box. I thought they would go to fuse box. But I can't find any wires the same size or color coming into it. Need help
Edhick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2019, 07:18 PM   #2

Gonna need more information to help you.

General path of power is:

shore power/generator>transfer switch>breaker panel

I'm assuming that you had problems last year with your transfer switch, since this is a common problem point. If that melted down, you might have insulation melted downstream from there as well. Is the thing you're calling a 'junction box' the transfer switch?

You have a dangerous situation and the coach should not be plugged in until it's fixed. Same for generator use - keep it off till this is fixed. You have a hot-skin situation where someone could get zapped by touching the coach.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:28 PM   #3

You should also test at the outlet where you are plugging in, this may not be an RV problem, and may be a shore side wiring issue
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:55 PM   #4

Thanks Issac
What I am calling junction box is where the shore power cord actually comes into coach. Also when not hooked up to shore power you have to take same plug and plug it into the box so your generator will feed the coach if you turn it on. Hopefully that makes since to you. Not familiar with the differant terms used in electrical field.. the wires burnt up last year were the neutral wires for the 120 that connect to the bar in fuse box
Edhick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:00 PM   #5

Sorry I replied to your question on Issaac post. Below the transfer switch what does look like? Where would it typically be?
Old 07-08-2019, 05:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edhick View Post
Thanks Issac
What I am calling junction box is where the shore power cord actually comes into coach. Also when not hooked up to shore power you have to take same plug and plug it into the box so your generator will feed the coach if you turn it on. Hopefully that makes since to you. Not familiar with the differant terms used in electrical field.. the wires burnt up last year were the neutral wires for the 120 that connect to the bar in fuse box
Sounds like you may not have a transfer switch - plugging the cord into the generator or shore power is about as manual a way to switch from shore to generator as there is, with you being the switch.

If the neutral burned in the fuse box, I'd be suspicious of all other connections until they were confirm to be tight. I'd also be concerned the insulation melted inside the outer jacket of the cable further down the line.

Can you post a photo or two of what you're looking at?

When you had the neutral burn last year, what was done to fix the problem then?

Start with one end of the system and then work back to the other. Open the covers and visually inspect. If you can isolate a section of cable, you can use a multimeter to see where the short is.

I'm wondering if your shore cord itself didn't get damaged during the problem last year.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:41 AM   #7

I believe I found problem the wire going to main breaker was melted back a couple inches from the end. (Wire was one that by urnt last year). Remove the bad section and not getting any volts to fuse box frame. Inspected the rest of the wires in box. Before repair all the 120 volt outlet showed I had a open ground now they all test ok. The only thing left that I see is the neutral bar was mounted to a piece of rubber attached to fuse box. It melted so I will replace it. Thanks for your help if you feel I need to inspect anything else let me know. Thanks again
Old 07-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #8

Glad that you found that problem. If this were my coach, I'd actually open the cover on any junction boxes within a few feet of the problem just to be certain that the problem didn't go further than you initially thought. When you remount the neutral bar, be sure that you don't inadvertently form a bond between neutral and ground by getting the rubber out of place.