Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2021, 08:24 PM   #1

1964 Pickwick Traveliner - Ford Chassis - Family Motorhome Rehab

Hey all, in a few weeks I'll be traveling north to get my mother's family's old class A running and back on the road so we can get it home and start to rehab it. I don't believe it's really been used as an RV since I've been alive though it's been stored inside and is in pretty good shape outside.

I'll give a quick overview of its current state here and plan to use this thread as a build thread of sorts (and also a request for any info that any of you fine folks might have about this particular coach).

As it sits the motor home has a 302 ci GMC I6 and hydromatic out of an old army truck. The chassis is a Ford and from what I can tell it probably came with a big Ford I6 back in 64 when built.

I believe it's on a Ford parcel forward control chassis, still trying to confirm, but that's what the evidence is saying.

Like I said in the title, it's a Pickwick Traveliner, I want to say 26', and as you can see, it's super retro and cool looking.

First priorities are fluids, brakes, leaky rear main seal on that 302, and making sure the essential electrics are okay for our 600 mile trip home...

It's been hard to find any info on this particular coach online but we do have some family history. This model was a dealer order for shows and features a side door and a back door (to facilitate show attendees walking through) and has bunk beds. The inside is in rough shape right now but my wife and I plan to rehab it and give it a retro yet functional modern take on the inside, and a more modern powertrain for efficiency and reliability.

Here are a few pictures as it sits now, plenty more to come as we get going on this project.

Thanks for reading and cheers!

hotrod

hotrod6657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2021, 02:20 PM   #2

That is so cool and in such unbelievable condition!! You've got a gem there, good luck with it.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
That is so cool and in such unbelievable condition!! You've got a gem there, good luck with it.

Thank you! We're excited, and my mom is excited to see her childhood RV back on the road. Heck, my grandfather is excited that we're even interested in it.

The interior is rough, as in full of stuff, and close to 60 years old but owing to the fact it was stored in a garage and the coach has a metal roof, it's not badly damaged.

The project will be multi phased with step 1 being get it running and down to NC where we live now. Then there are decisions about what to do next which will continue to develop.

My gut says I need to get a wrecked truck and pull a 6.0L LS and 4l60E or 4l80E for the modern powertrain but that's just a gut reaction. I don't think it's a particularly heavy RV given it's age and what I think the chassis is.

At any rate we're excited to get started and would love to see if anyone around here has even heard of a Pickwick before.

Once I have some of the literature in my possession I'll post some of it if for no other reason than sharing a piece of history with you fine folks.

Cheers!

hotrod
Old 06-21-2021, 10:00 PM   #4

I've been posting on the hotrodders forum where I spend my normal wrenching time but figured it was time for an update here.

We've got some progress. Day one, last Wednesday, I got the engine running and the coach to move forward and back, and stop (sort of). Over the past few days we've worked on getting new tires mounted on the old rims, and continued bleeding the brakes.

It still needs more attention there but we were able to drive it from my grandfather's house to my uncle's place this afternoon. I'm not willing to drive to NC like this given how bad the brakes are but it was a reasonable shakedown trip.

The coach looks good on the road and got my mother a little emotional given all the memories and how long it's been sitting dormant. I don't think anyone figured it would ever move again under its own power so I'm happy to be the one responsible for changing that.

Anyway, here are a few pictures.

Cheers and wish us luck next week when we try and roadtrip it 600 miles so the rehabilitation can begin!

Old 06-21-2021, 10:19 PM   #5

Oh, and video of the big 6 GMC 302 running for the first time in 20 years.

Gotta love it.

Old 06-22-2021, 05:52 AM   #6

You have to be proud to have the skills and the attitude to take on such a great project.

We’ll be watching this one for sure.
Old 06-22-2021, 07:01 AM   #7

This is going to be a very cool (re)build. Thanks for keeping us updated. Pictures or it did not happen
Old 06-22-2021, 08:40 AM   #8

It fired up nice. When I saw the smoke I thought of the years and years of crud burning off the manifold.

Bet you got a lot of looks on the way to your uncle's. Here's my .
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 11:54 AM   #9

Rain here today so we're taking a break from working on the coach and visiting with friends and family instead.

Things we've learned:

The front windsystems leaks a bit so we'll get some fresh silicone on it once things dry out.

I wasn't able to check the rear brake shoes since it seems I need to pull the rear hubs apart to get the drum off. That and more brake bleeding are next on the list before we leave for home

That's pretty much it for this phase of the project. Once we're home we'll look at the house systems and start putting together an upgrade plan.
Old 06-22-2021, 11:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
It fired up nice. When I saw the smoke I thought of the years and years of crud burning off the manifold.

Bet you got a lot of looks on the way to yoursureile's. Here's my .

That was actually sawdust and other junk from under it, not exhaust. The plugs looked okay and it seems like it was tuned well when parked so I'm not sure I can take much credit haha...
Old 06-22-2021, 12:55 PM   #11

Tried to post these with my previous post but couldn't get the pictures to upload.

Here a picture from probably 40 years ago and as close as I could get to recreating it yesterday.

Those plants sure have grown...

Old 06-22-2021, 12:57 PM   #12

Very cool old coach. Good to see it's out on the road.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 01:05 PM   #13

A bit of info that may or may not be useful...

My dad had a 1965 Dodge van that had the same rooftop air conditioner and barn-door mirrors. So the builder may have sourced a few dodge parts during construction.

Mike
Old 06-22-2021, 01:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
A bit of info that may or may not be useful...

My dad had a 1965 Dodge van that had the same rooftop air conditioner and barn-door mirrors. So the builder may have sourced a few dodge parts during construction.

Mike

Good to know!

On a sidenote, I found some marketing info online at one point and based on that there were Ford, Chevy, and Dodge based versions of the Pickwick Traveliner, this one is the Ford chassis and seems to be the P400 parcel delivery version.

Tags
chassis, ford, motor, motorhome, travel