Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2021, 11:17 AM   #1

1968 Swiss Colony Chalet 8'x30'

I bought this vintage travel trailer for $600 from a trailer park in Tucson. It is a true fixer-upper...the roof leaks...its original interior has been thoroughly gutted and a standard house door installed with custom slipshod cabinetry replacing the original; also a standard toilet and shower stall has replaced the original. It has been rewired externally using exterior conduit, which is nice, because I don't have to worry about locating any hidden wiring or puncturing any wires during my renovation project. I plan on redoing the floors with hardwood and installing tongue & groove planking on the ceiling and walls...give it that forest cabin appeal. Outside I plan to build a floating 'L' shaped deck running the length of one side and around the hitch on the end, at threshold level with inset steps in the corner and paint the exterior of the trailer a 60s mustard yellow color.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210121-104139_DuckDuckGo~2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	367.2 KB
ID:	315331  
Old Pueblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2021, 11:25 AM   #2

"Swiss Colony Traveler produced an array of the travel trailers and fifth wheel trailers since the 1960s. Ranging from 20 to over 34 feet in length, the travel trailers sold by Swiss Colony Traveler featured self-contained living quarters ideal for longer campground stays. Fifth wheel trailers added to the Swiss Colony Traveler line-up span between 30 and 40 feet long. Swiss Colony Traveler name disappeared after the 1980 model year." –J.D. Power
https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/1980/...olony-Traveler
Old 01-21-2021, 11:26 AM   #3

"History of Swiss Colony Travel Trailers:
Incorporated in 1955 as Herrli Industries in Elkhart, IN where mobile homes were built. Approx. 1960 they started to build*travel trailers in addition to mobile homes. The family was 3rd generation "Swiss" and had four family members involved in the company and therefore the name became Swiss Colony. (division of Herrli Industries). Swiss Colony*travel trailers were built from 1960-1980."

"...the logo was Swiss Colony (the "C" was encircled as if it were a clock) and underneath were the words: Time for Happy Traveling. I spoke with my father yesterday (he now lives in Durham, NC)....On a lighter note, I use to clean the Swiss Colony company office (years ago 1975-1977) every Saturday my junior and senior years of high school. My dad use to fill up my*gas tank*as my payment. The good old days ! –Kayleen, the daughter of the company owner posted these comments on a message board in March 2013, via this link: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/help...-139309-3.html
Old 01-21-2021, 11:47 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Congrats on the new rig! Be safe, have fun, and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:13 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome and congrats on the new rig/project.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote