Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2010, 04:21 AM   #1

1969 duke 16 footer travel trailer

Well im fixing up a pretty bad duke, having a good time getting ready to repalce the floor! anyhow i was wondering if any of you guys just let the grey water flow into a hole you dug when camping, cause i have no tanks in mine they were removed, and want to use shower and wash hands and stuff.. im going to put a bucket under the toilet and have the hole for the toilet just have the bucket under it to catch stuff, or line the toilet with a trash bag and people can go potty then take their bag out when they are done and tire it up.

kinda primitive but wonder if anyone has done it these ways on here
greythorn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2010, 08:23 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Most places now have rules against dumping gray water on the ground. EPA and laws prevent this practice.

You should invest in a Blue Tote Tank to capture the gray water.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
You can buy new poly tanks, simply do a google for replacement black/grey tanks for RVs. While, I've been known to run my gray water out on the ground, it's usually going directly under the rig into the gravel, or into my filter bucket, which looks like a regular 5 gallon bucket, except the bottoms been drilled and its filled with differing layers of sand, and gravel to filter out the particulate, similar to a runoff swale you see beside roads nowadays that help remove pollutants from run off from roads before they re-enter streams/creeks/etc.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
You can buy new poly tanks, simply do a google for replacement black/grey tanks for RVs. While, I've been known to run my gray water out on the ground, it's usually going directly under the rig into the gravel, or into my filter bucket, which looks like a regular 5 gallon bucket, except the bottoms been drilled and its filled with differing layers of sand, and gravel to filter out the particulate, similar to a runoff swale you see beside roads nowadays that help remove pollutants from run off from roads before they re-enter streams/creeks/etc.

them blue totes are a pain in a a$$ we used to use them at the rv shop i was a tech at. anyhow i think i will run it to a drilled bucket like redneck says, sounds good to me, and just capture the black in a bag to dispose of.. later in a gas station trash can! he he he

I will post some pictures of my flor replacement im doing right now tonight or tomarrow in this thread.

Skip
Old 06-13-2010, 07:33 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The state park rangers in some places look for gray water offenders and will ticket you if you are caught. I do not see the tote tanks as a real inconvenience and you are not running afoul of any regulations. It all goes back to the "Take only pictures and leave only footprints." motto.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
The state park rangers in some places look for gray water offenders and will ticket you if you are caught. I do not see the tote tanks as a real inconvenience and you are not running afoul of any regulations. It all goes back to the "Take only pictures and leave only footprints." motto.

Ken
i dont camp in campgrounds, so i doublt i will have problems, but i will filter it thru a bucket like redneck does, or capture it if i have to in buckets. anyhow getting going on the floor repairs,.. will post some pictures tonight, by the way i found the black tank hehehe! never did find a grey one. its damaged so im going with a bucket or toilet and a back lining it way.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:55 AM   #7

heres some pics of the partial floor repair, getting things going ran out of materials, so its not done yet..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailerfloorrepair 001.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	4324   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailerfloorrepair 002.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	4325  

Name:	trailerfloorrepair 003.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	4326   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailerfloorrepair 004.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	4327  

Name:	trailerfloorrepair 005.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	4328   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailerfloorrepair 006.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	4329  

Name:	trailerfloorrepair 007.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	4330   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailerfloorrepair 009.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	4331  

Name:	trailerfloorrepair 010.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	4332  
Old 06-14-2010, 02:00 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

Ken
Just so the records clear, I don't use the aforementioned method in SPs, just BLM/USFS campgrounds where there's no gray disposal of any kind and the nearest ranger is about 60 miles away. A pit toilet being available (And a source of fresh water on site) are usually the only plushes.

SPs, I just use the one big onboard tank as combined as I usually use the park showers if they're clean, or which is more likely the case I'm only staying a night.

I did build the bucket to look exactly like the exterior filling tank that our local SPs have in their brochures, but I'd rather not get into a pissing contest with a local high schooler that's doing a summer job of patrolling the park.

I do own a 30 gallon blue barker tote that I can tow, and for a small rig, its a bit of a PITA to haul if you've not got an available truck bed (Wouldn't want to haul it in the back of a van or suburban) or boat to toss it in. I'm still trying to work out a crankible lift of some kind to hang it from the underside of the camper's overhang so that its out of the way.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #9

well getting closer to closing back up the floor from above with plywood, what do you guys use if anything to coat your floor joists and plywood underneeth ? this had alumimum sheeting that had corroded or wore away in spots that im throwing out since i dont want it trapping moisture again and causing rot in the floor.. dont really wanna enclose the bottom with anything for this reason, but wouldnt mind some protection for the wood

Maybe i should just coat it with some exterior house paint, i wonder if that would get a nick in it and then trap some water and cause rot.. hmmm im willing just to leave it untouched and redo it ever 5 or 10 years if it would last that long tho.

On the wheelwells, they are metal with some stable holes and some damage around mounting flanges. i think im going to use that cheap undercoating onthem just to seal the small holes and little cracks some.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Do you plan to install any insulation under the floor? Traditionally on modern trailers there's a heavy rubber tarp or plywood layer that's painted with oil base black paint, then 6" or so of bat insulation that hangs under the floor joists, then upper level of plywood floor.

Coating it with either a marine epoxy paint, or a Heruculite rubber undercoater would both be good options, just remember to liberally caulk around all holes in the floor where things pass through.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:14 AM   #11

nope no insulation, it just causes problems with moisture usually. i dont camp when it gets below 32 F much either. Im thinking i will just spray coat it with some outdoor deck stain that i got laying around after its all together, then maybe later make panels to enclose it if i decide to insulate with some of them blue foam boards, cut to fit and then secure them up with some thin luan plywood.

another thing i am thinking about is wrapping the lower front under the metal panels with some tyvek material, and behind the paneling inside putting a vapor barrier of bisqueen.