Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2015, 10:17 AM   #1

1970s Amerigo restoration - help needed

Dear community members:

I'm from Germany and recently bought a 1970s Amerigo truck camper that needs quite a bit of work. I paid way too much for it, but these are so rary in Europe that you only find one every 5 years or so. And it was still cheaper than buying one in the US and ship it to Europe.

And I simply *love* the 1970s panoramic window, so had to get it by any means

The TC had originally the Snap-n-Nap rear, but that was damaged and scrapped long before I bought it. Currently, the rear is open, just has a tarp over it.

I've linked some images below for your reference. The truck was not part of the deal, I do have a Ford F350 Dually to haul the TC.

We want to restore it to it's original form with exception of some modern amenities such as Satellite TV/air condition/LED lighting etc. My wife is a professional carpenter and we have a fully equipped wood and metal workshop, so even complex builds are not an issue.

I would highly appreciate any help on how to restore it, in particular:

- Descriptions, drawings, detail pictures of the snap-n-nap rear hatch & fold mechanism. Does it use gas springs/springs or a similar form of lift support?

- Floor plan(s)

- Any information of what model/year it is

- Descriptions/schematics/diagrams of piping/wiring/heating/interior/water tanks

- Descriptions/model names/manufacturers of appliances (oven, refridgerator, water tanks, electrics etc.)

Any bit of information is appreciated.

And of course I will report the progress with many pictures.

Thank you very much in advance!

Claus

cwinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2015, 10:59 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Here's a link to a fellow rebuilding a '73 Amerigo, it shows many photos that might be of help. The rear 'hatch' looks like it's supported by gas struts when extended.

On second thought, a tent would have cheaper... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Here's more links:

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/c...er-restoration

http://www.pop-up-campers-trailer.co...k-campers.html

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:13 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
No idea what kind of shape it's in but the interior looks really nice.
wschaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:54 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree the interior is in good shape and keep posting as you proceed.
Thanks, Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:05 AM   #5
bap

BFlinn,,gave you some great forums to check out.,,,and i gotta say----i love it also..
cant wait to see more pix as you go along with it...
Old 08-14-2015, 07:31 AM   #6

Thanks everyone so far.

The interior is actually in a pretty good shape, the camper had been stored dry for the last years, so no rotten wood and the structure seems to be intact, too.

Thanks BFlinn for the links, they are indeed very helpful, but I'm still struggling with the rear snap-n-nap hatch and how to rebuild it, so still any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Claus
cwinhard is offline   Reply With Quote