Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #1

1972 Winnebago Brave Sending Unit OHM Range

Hi all,

I have a 72 Brave and I need to replace the sending unit. I've been unable to figure out a stock replacement, so I'm looking at universal models. I've found 2 OHM ranges, 0-90 and 33-240. Anyone know which is correct for my Winnie?

Its a D18. 318 motor. The tank is rectangular steel, and is located between the stairs and the rear wheels on the passenger side. If you have a link to the right unit - it would be a big help!
jbrantiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #2

70's era Dodge fuel gauge and sending unit range was 10 to 73 ohms.
E = 73.7 Ohms
1/2 = 23.0 Ohms
F = 10.2 Ohms

Dodge Motorhome Fuel | eBay

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #3

Thanks for the info! Seems like an odd range. Do you think a 0-90 would work? The units on Ebay are pricey when I can get a Universal for $40.

Any links to repair manuals for my Brave?
Old 05-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Manual P/N is 001972-01-000. You should be able to order it from a Winnebago dealer or they may possibly get one by requesting one through their owner info site: Request Information

Chassis info is covered in the 69-73 Dodge Motorhome Service manual and 69-77 Dodge Motorhome Parts book. Many times the only way to find the correct chassis part is cross referencing the original Dodge P/N to a aftermarket P/N. You can find the Dodge books on EBAY, at MOPAR Manuals, or at the Classic Winnebago site.

If you are having problems with the fuel gauge and the water temperature gauge then the problem is most likely the voltage regulator mounted on the rear of the instrument cluster.

Using the incorrect size meter will just mean it is not accurate.

Dave
Old 05-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #5

GREAT information, thank you. The tank was leaking so i had to weld it and then pour coated the inside with a Pour 15 tank product. The sending unit was rusted and corroded beyond repair. Its easy to drop the tank, so i think I'll try the universal and save $50 first. I'll post back after I get it installed.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
70's era Dodge fuel gauge and sending unit range was 10 to 73 ohms.
E = 73.7 Ohms
1/2 = 23.0 Ohms
F = 10.2 Ohms

Dodge Motorhome Fuel | eBay

Dave
Hello Dave.

Are you sure on the ohms? My '73 Winnebago Indian has 2 tanks, and tank #2 is almost full with a reading of 42.13 ohms. (I overflowed the fill opening, so its full.)

The PO used generic fuel gauges to replace the non-working factory ones, and neither one reads right. One is on 1/2 tank constantly, the other reads 'empty' when full. I need new gauges too.

Steve
Old 07-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #7

Yes I am sure of the ohms readings. Was a standard across early Dodge products.

72-73 Dodge MH chassis would have a 5V voltage limiter (regulator) mounted inside the fuel gauge. This limiter supplies the reference voltage to the fuel and temperature gauges. Do you have a problem with both? If so then that points to the limiter as the problem.
Vintage Chrysler electrical repairs and updates (part 2)

On fuel gauge:
Light blue wire (A terminal) is the signal from the tank sender unit.
Dark blue wire (S terminal) is the 5V reference voltage from limiter to temp gauge
White wires (I terminal) is 12VDC feed from ignition switch via the 20 amp T/S; B/Warn fuse in the fuse box.

Do not forget Winnebago either used different posts off the fuel selector switch or installed a relay under the dash to select between tank inputs.

Dave

Tags
brave, winnebago