Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2021, 01:00 PM   #15

I don't see anything wrong with it. That's as good as a 40 year old MH can look. I wouldn't stress too much about a chevy 350 that leaked a little oil. Most of them leak a little. I didn't see the miles, if it's under 100k it should be fine. I'd say the propane tank is a plus. It's nice to have lots of propane on board. I hope the tires are useable and not too old and weather cracked. Overall I think it's great. I could see myself paying $4k for that; maybe more if it had new tires and good service records.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2021, 06:02 PM   #16

ArtsyRVing,

If the house does not have water damage, you probably have a winner.
The chassis is probably a P30, and if it is, parts are vary available. Even still, a SB Chevy and a TH350 shouldn't need much.

There is somethings that you should be aware of:
All the rubber parts have probably aged out. Not just the tires. For those you can find the date code and replace any over 8 years old - no matter how good they look, they are dangerous.
Also, hoses and belts are issues. All hoses, coolant, fuel and brake.
The cooling system should probably be flushed because the coolant has depleted its corrosion inhibitors. That is a good time to replace them.
The brake system has probably absorbed some moisture as it is want to do. (Get a new rubber diaphragm for the master cylinder in any case.) So flushing that is a good time to replace all the hoses at the front and rear and then refill with DOT4 (not 5) brake fluid. Dot 4 has a higher boiling point and while it does absorb moisture and DOT 5 does not, we have seen system damaged because the water did not stay in suspension and pooled in the wheel cylinders and corroded them. That is real bad news.
The fuel system may not be alcohol tolerant. This is not that hard, just buy new buy new line that is either SAE J30 R9 or R14 and replace that and if it has an engine mounted fuel pump, suspect that as well.

If you do the work above, we are really only talking about 1~1.5$us cash out of pocket and none of it is all that hard. (Nasty - Yes, but not difficult.)

Then, you need to get out on the road and enjoy what this coach can do for you. There are places that you need to go that were virtually in accessible with bring your own support.

What does this guy know??
Well, I sold our Cayo Motorvator (1979) when I got a 1973 GMC Glacier 23 that we have put over 70K on and still love. (But it isn't a Chevy SB and I can't find someone to service it. I don't mind because if I do it, it gets done right the first time.)

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:59 PM   #17

the fuel system was updated to electric pump, it has all new (2yrs old?) brake lines, hoses, brakes, the hoses all look newer - the belt needs replacing, and they have two included with it, the tires are 2yrs old and in good shape - no cracking or weathering, it was serviced regularly, winterized every year, the generator is not in it - they always used hook up. The leaf springs and coil look ok (seriously the underside looks better than our 05 ford escape - but that was driven in winter) the ac works, all appliances work (needs the propane refilled) The chasis is a G30 rv cutaway - 145" wb, GVW 10,000, rear susp. is full floating, springs are multi leaf, hyd. brakes, Turbo H transmission. I could see mechanics actually wanting to work on it...lol
artsyrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:21 PM   #18

i will need to find a Gen. if i decide to pick this one up...

they have all the original paper work and schematics with it, it looks like the original elect. had two breaker switches, the one in there now has 4... so it may have gotten an upgrade. I would want to get a gen in there at some point if i were to buy it... i haven't looked yet, but what are good ones to get and about what do they run? a few hundred?
Old 10-25-2021, 08:28 PM   #19

it just hit 86k miles... so plenty of life left in it, i know those 350 sb are pretty durable and so much easier to even work on than anything else. It has good service records. but not a bad idea to even pick up a double of each basic belt/hose/ etc to have on hand along with the clamps and stuff... and good call on the brake diaphragm F76Marion - i will check on if they did that or if it will need to be done.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:55 AM   #20

Since it does not have a generator, would a Sportsman 4000watt inverter generator, tri fuel work for this RV? it has a 30amp service? https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...QTxDOQQ9pwGCA0
Old 10-28-2021, 09:02 AM   #21

Art,

There are two questions about the generator.....
1- Will a 4kW inverter power what the coach needs?
Most likely. Our very vintage coach has a conventional 4kW and it does everything just fine.
2 - Will it fit in the existing generator space?
I can't even begin to tell you what that answer is.....

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 12:56 PM   #22

I should be picking it up this weekend and can get exact measurements. it would be housed in the compartment right behind the drivers door. I may be 2' x 2', maybe... I doubt i would put a microwave in, i will upgrade the interior lights to led, and may look to run a light to work by, laptop, and only a small chance i may use a dremel (it does have a 30amp service in it with 4 breakers)

Tags
chevy, tioga