Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2021, 05:52 PM   #1

1977 Dodge RV inverter upgrade

Hello everyone

I was recently gifted a very nice inverter/charger, and I’m trying to find out if I can install it on my 1977 dodge RV. Currently installed is the original Newmark converter.

The new one is a Freedom HFS Sine Wave inverter/charger. The problem I’ve run into is the how to videos all talk about tying into the breaker panel, but I do not have one. All I have is an old glass style fuse holder that is my “breaker panel”.

Is there a way to still use this?
Ashton1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2021, 09:01 PM   #2

You should include some info and pics and how many house batteries do you have. You need cables to be able handle the amps to and from inverter. Old panels I'm familiar with have 12v convertor, fuses and AC fuses all in/on one. You could gut the convertor out to separate and feed each side.
You would probably be better using a new marine 12v fuse panel and AC breaker distribution panel , need one that powers inverter.
If it's old school screw in fuse panel like for home you could still use that. There's nothing truly unsafe of the design if things are not cooked in it or over sized fuses in it.
If out CB on inverter is 30amps you will need to use 10ga wire ect
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:31 AM   #3

A breaker and fuse panel are essentially the same just from different eras.

Does your RV have 30 amp service?

What size is the inverter/charger? I see models of that with 1000 and 2000 watts.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:41 AM   #4

Do you have a xfer switch or does your coach require you to plug shore cord into genset manually when running the genset?
I would just remove the old converter and wire the new inverter/converter so that it will charge your batteries. Run the AC to the inverter straight from where the shore cord or xfer switch ties into the fuse box. Be sure to install a disconnect near the inverter.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:12 AM   #5

Thanks for all the replies!!

I am not sure if I have 30amp service. I doubt it since there is not much that receives power in here; just the fridge, water pump, outlets, I think that’s it really. It’s a very basic RV with no microwave, tv, etc….

There is no transfer switch. I just plug the shore power in and I’m ready to go. I have no generator but if I did, I’d just plug in where the shore power normally connects.

This is the 2000w model inverter.
Old 07-14-2021, 10:16 AM   #6

Also, just one house battery right now. I do intend on upgrading to another later down the road, I have more important projects at the moment though
Old 07-14-2021, 11:38 AM   #7

Here’s what I’m currently dealing with. Looks like the bottom red/white wire runs to the battery bank. The outlet is connected to the shoreline power. And the top red/white wires run to the distribution panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	276.7 KB
ID:	335957  
Old 07-14-2021, 06:39 PM   #8

Does your shore power plug look like the yellow one below? If not does it look like a regular plug with 2 flat parallel prongs and a ground? Or maybe no ground then.

What do you want to run off of this, how do you want to do it? It has a GFCI outlet on the front. Super easy and cheap hookup would be to use the GFCI outlet with an extension cord to run whatever you wanted.

Or you can hook it into the wiring, but that gets complex quickly and if you don't have much in the way of 120v 'stuff' it might not be worth the work. You know what will work for you and how involved you want it to be.

One version had half an Anderson connector (gray connector below) on the 2 battery cables, does yours have that? If so is the other half also there?

It does have a transfer relay so it will automatically switch between shore power and battery power. If you want to do it super easy and cheap use the plug on the inverter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30a plug.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	336038   Click image for larger version

Name:	ANDERSON CONNECTOR.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	336039  

Old 07-15-2021, 09:19 AM   #9

Yes, that is what my plug looks like!
And yes, I have those connectors in my house battery box.

I’m still a little confused- RV electrical is a bit of a mystery to me. I basically just want this new inverter to function like the old converter- charge the batteries when plugged into shore power, and run everything when not plugged into shore power. As of right now I don’t have anything Extra to hook up, but some day will add some entertainment options like outdoor speakers etc.

If I hook it up how the inverter was hooked up, everything should function correct? Reds on the positive, whites on the negative, and the cord coming off the new inverter plugged into the outlet fed by shoreline power?
Old 07-15-2021, 04:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashton1012 View Post
If I hook it up how the inverter was hooked up, everything should function correct? Reds on the positive, whites on the negative, and the cord coming off the new inverter plugged into the outlet fed by shoreline power?
If you hook it up the same as the convertor the charger will act like the convertor, charge the batteries and feed DC power to the motor home but you won't have any AC to the motor home. That's why I was asking what you're going to run off AC.

The AC circuits the inverter powers need to be isolated from the circuit that powers the inverter. If not when the shore power isn't hooked up the inverter will output AC into the motor home wiring which will also include the wiring which provides the charger with power to charge the batteries. See where this is going, a loop in which the inverter powers the charger which powers the inverter through the battery.

Realistically (and not knowing the size and condition) with one battery you've probably got a couple of hours of fairly light use. That's why I wondered if you could use the inverter outlet, it will save installing a sub panel for limited usage.

Tags
dodge, inverter, upgrade