Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2011, 11:30 PM   #43

Vintage RV Owners Club
Man, this hurts...Got a good, heavy, albeit short rain this evening. Pooled up on spots on the tarp. It managed to find a spot or two in the tarp where it has worn down from the stress of the wind and leaked onto the roof. Water found the tear in the metal roof next to the front vent and started leaking in bad.

I removed the board from the drivers side tire and put it on top of the one on the passenger side, giving us a good tilt away from it up there, and got most of the pooled water out.

Damage is done though. The hardboard and laminate overlay just doesn't hold up at all to ANY water. Not like old paneling used to. I really, really don't want to have to replace that section of ceiling again. That was too much of a pain to do in the first place, before we put stuff up there in the bunk! Maybe I will just hope the vent garnish will cover most of it when I buy one.
SyrenSkywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2011, 04:28 AM   #44

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyrenSkywolf View Post
Man, this hurts...Got a good, heavy, albeit short rain this evening. Pooled up on spots on the tarp. It managed to find a spot or two in the tarp where it has worn down from the stress of the wind and leaked onto the roof. Water found the tear in the metal roof next to the front vent and started leaking in bad.

I removed the board from the drivers side tire and put it on top of the one on the passenger side, giving us a good tilt away from it up there, and got most of the pooled water out.

Damage is done though. The hardboard and laminate overlay just doesn't hold up at all to ANY water. Not like old paneling used to. I really, really don't want to have to replace that section of ceiling again. That was too much of a pain to do in the first place, before we put stuff up there in the bunk! Maybe I will just hope the vent garnish will cover most of it when I buy one.

Murphy strikes again !
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:58 AM   #45

Vintage RV Owners Club

Honest opinions? I am on a really tight budget as of now. I really hate leaving that eyesore up there, but most (not all) of it will be covered with the garnish when I get it. Might leave it for a future project to fix. I definitely wouldn't replace it before I knew for sure it was sealed.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #46

Is there a way to make a nice wood "picture" frame stained to match the paneling and wide enough to cover the damage? Then screw the vent trim to the frame.
want2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #47

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by want2camp View Post
Is there a way to make a nice wood "picture" frame stained to match the paneling and wide enough to cover the damage? Then screw the vent trim to the frame.
That's what I would do, double up a little over the damage.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #48

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
If it is still damp a hot iron can help. Put some wax paper between the ceiling and iron and press firmly. Wife did it on some of "her" projects and it worked quite well. Wood was still damp though. If its dried out I don't think it will help.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:53 AM   #49

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragingbull View Post
If it is still damp a hot iron can help. Put some wax paper between the ceiling and iron and press firmly. Wife did it on some of "her" projects and it worked quite well. Wood was still damp though. If its dried out I don't think it will help.

That just may work ! At least enough that when the garnish is applied that it won't be noticeable. It seems it's always something chalemging in these projects.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:13 AM   #50

Vintage RV Owners Club
by now I'm sure it is probably dry. Had a fan running up there for the past 30 hours to dry everything under it out. Lots of air circulation. Too late tonight to try it out (plus I don't have any wax paper on hand lol).

I will probably just try the added trim idea. Doesn't sound like a bad idea.

FYI I just got back in from putting the eternabond on the vent (2:30-4am, with a flashlight in my mouth). I have a feeling I didn't get one spot on the vent itself quite clean enough, as it didn't stick there, and the tape there is no longer sticky. Not worried about there for the moment though. The roof level areas are sealed. Will probably trim it off this weekend, put more there, and line the edges with Dicor.

Thanks for all the helpful advice and encouragement everyone!
Old 08-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #51

I've completely enjoyed following your rebuild. You do excellent work and should be very proud of your efforts.

If you do the frame thing I guess you could also just paint it white to match the ceiling.
want2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #52

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to johnnytugs1 Send a message via Yahoo to johnnytugs1
thanks sky for the great info, once your done i have a feeling you could make a good dollar in your " spare " time doing this for others. your doing really good work and should use your skills to your advantage. people are shying away from buying new and you could have yourself a knitch in the market! rock on bro!
JT
johnnytugs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #53

Vintage RV Owners Club
Does anyone know generally what path the wiring for the taillights and clearance lights generally take in these? I have a short somewhere and I am trying to locate it. Put a new 20A fuse in and it blew after about 10 seconds (and the clearance lights up front never lit up).
Old 08-06-2011, 11:17 PM   #54

Vintage RV Owners Club
Should have waited until I finished the new page on my site before posting the last post

Silver and Sky's Motorhome Project - August 6th, 2011

Installed new bathroom vent, and did a little eternabonding.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:25 AM   #55

Thank you for the update! A lot of us are following you and look forward to your updates!!

Where did you buy the roof vent? I am getting ready to fix my roof and I have an opening for a vent that I have covered for now. I would love to go back with a vent but I dont want too spend a fortune.
bicklebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #56

Vintage RV Owners Club
NEW 14" RV Camper Motorhome Roof Vent w Fan *FREE SHIP* | eBay

Can find some good priced stuff on eBay

Tags
remodel