Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2010, 08:40 AM   #1

Question 1979 Midas MH

Considering buying a 79 Ford Midas. The front window is cracked! When pushing on the accelator it seems slow to respond even thought 460 engine. The brakes seems spongy, but it does stop. Where can one get a cheap 2 tone repaint job? Can a seat maybe two be set in for children under 3 yrs old and where to get it and how much? What price range would one use to buy one or what's the highest price should I pay? Would like anyones advice this am. Thanks, Vince 7:39am-10-10-10
V-Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #2

Here are some 1979 Ford Midas ads on Craiglist.

1979 ford midas -directory site:craigslist.org - Google Search
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:06 AM   #3

79 ford midas 460 engine states 10 mpg. can i get any better milage by installing inexpensive gagit?? How much cost for 2tone paint job? Due to age is there going to be expensive to maintain in future?
V-Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK, I'll try to answer some of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Bud View Post
Considering buying a 79 Ford Midas. The front window is cracked!
Is it the windshield or the window above in the overhead bed? Either way you should be able to have it replaced. The windshield is a standard Ford van and the overhead is flat glass but should be safety glass.
Quote:
When pushing on the accelator it seems slow to respond even thought 460 engine.
Could be carburetor or fuel pump or fuel filter or distributor or plugged exhaust or mouse nest in air cleaner or, or, or.
Quote:
The brakes seems spongy, but it does stop.
Needs brake fluid replaced at a bare minimum. Entire brake system should to be checked.
Quote:
Where can one get a cheap 2 tone repaint job?
Mexico?
Quote:
Can a seat maybe two be set in for children under 3 yrs old and where to get it and how much?
Not gonna touch this one. You are looking at an old motorhome that will obviously need some work to be SAFE. Get it safe FIRST before strapping in little children.
Quote:
What price range would one use to buy one or what's the highest price should I pay?
That is for you to decide, but for something that old - not much. Just to pull a number out of the sky, $3000. You can easily put that much more into it just to make it safe and reliable.
Quote:
79 ford midas 460 engine states 10 mpg. can i get any better milage by installing inexpensive gagit??
Nope. 10mpg is an optomistic figure especially since it is not running well at this point.
Quote:
Due to age is there going to be expensive to maintain in future?
Depends on what you consider "expensive". Motorhomes are second only to boats as being a hole you throw you money into. If you buy this (or any motorhome) thinking it will be cheap to own, you WILL be dissapointed. All that said the rewards can be well worth it.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #5

I have a 1977 Midas Mini Class C. It's on a GMC Vandura 3500 chassis. We paid $2K for ours in 2006. The brakes feel spongy. It stops it but does not feel like the brakes on my Jeep. Nothing wrong with the brakes, just feels different. Allow LOTS of rooms to get the thing stopped. It is a very heavy vehicle. BTW, we added Firestone airbags to the rear to make a much better ride. Handles better to... our rear springs were basically flattened out. We cleaned the carborator and that helped us. My Class C will do 70 to 80 MPH with no problem (I was trying to catch up with two other vehicles I was traveling with... got hung up crossing a road and stopped by several traffic lights). I get 6 to 8 mpg depending on my speed and the terrain. I generally do about 55 to 65 mph. As for what work we have done to it.. we replaced a few tires and we popped an alternator belt in a tiny TX town this past summer. We got a replacement belt at a local Advance Auto... in stock! My front windshield leaked like sieve when it rained. The edges of the metal around the windshield is rusted badly in places. I caulked the rubber seal with elastometric caulking (lifted up the edges of the rubber seal and squirted the caulk under the seal and then wiped clean... no more leaks).

We bought the RV in North Carolina. We have lived in it as far South as Panama City Beach FL, and Elizabethton, TN (near Johnson City/Kingsport/Bristol TN) to the North. Last summer I drove it from the mountains of NC to central NM. Last winter was spent in Corpus Christi TX... now we are back in central NM. We have had no problems with the Class C. This was NOT a well-cared for RV when we bought it.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:43 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I've got an 82 Midas, paid $2900 two years ago and have put at least that much into repairs since. Waterpump, timing chain, radiator, etc etc etc. That said, I now have a great running albeit not particularly pretty motorhome. Didn't buy it looking for great gas mileage, I've saved a mint on hotels and can take my three dogs wherever I go. I can keep up with traffic on the interstate but slow as heck going up hills if you're going under 40.
decodancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Considering buying a 79 Ford Midas. The front window is cracked! When pushing on the accelator it seems slow to respond even thought 460 engine. The brakes seems spongy, but it does stop. Where can one get a cheap 2 tone repaint job? Can a seat maybe two be set in for children under 3 yrs old and where to get it and how much? What price range would one use to buy one or what's the highest price should I pay? Would like anyones advice this am. Thanks, Vince 7:39am-10-10-10
How long is the MH and what features does it have. Old Dodges have the best punch, power wise, even the 360 in a 20-22 footer will feel like a big block. My buddy has a Ford class C, feels wimpy but does OK even towing his Trooper. Unless you buy new, have 2k sitting around for stuff. RV's are the best way to travel, your bed when you want it, your food, no unpacking.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote