Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2020, 01:12 AM   #1

1981 Ford Brougham 20’

Hello all!
Just jumped into RVing with both feet and bought a 1981 Ford Brougham 20’ motor home. This thing is great, but has a few things I need to tackle. I searched the forums and struck out looking for some info and am hoping for some help.
Anyone know a good source for replacing all the window seals? Does anyone make a kit for this? Also, does anyone know where I can find any manuals for this RV (maintenance/owner)? Mine didn’t come with any. Thanks for the help!
2Goonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2020, 02:14 PM   #2

Goonie,

Yes, you jumped in with both feet, but head first!

Ford is just the chassis builder. If you can find a chassis model, get what ever books you can find at what ever price you have to pay.

Brougham is most likely a builders model name. There was a Brougham manufacturer once, but it was before 1980 iirc. See if you can find a mention of a builder there some where.

The next thing you should do is start getting friendly with the Tin Can Tourist people. They are the biggest group of vintage and antique RV people that have any real organization.

I wish you luck.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 12:16 PM   #3

83 Brougham

Hi,

We have an 83 Brougham 25' on a Ford e-350 chassis. There are two seals on the windows. The seal, bytal tape, between the window frame and the outside and the rubber seal between the glass and the window frame.

Over time both seals break down. The first is pretty easy to fix. Unscrew the inside window frame, lots of screws, remove the inner window frame and remove the window. If the bytual tape is really old the window may just fall out so be sure to have someone outside to hold the window in place. The window may also be really stuck requiring some prying from the outside around the window frame. Once the window is out clean all the old seal from both the window frame and the motorhome. I gently or not so gently scrape as much seal off as possible then clean with denatured alcohol. Then when clean and dry apply new bytual tape to the inside of the window frame and put the window back in, try to align the window with existing screw holes just to make life simpler when you attach the inner window frame. This is a once in every 10-15 year job, but check everytime it rains.

On our motorhome the previous owner used a variety of fiberglass resins, caulking and whatever was on hand and "worked" to try to short cut pulling the windows. This stuff can be really hard to remove!

The second seal is significantly harder to do. Each glass window is secured in the window frame by a rubber gasket/grommet. These get old and stiff, just like me, and leak mostly at the corners and where they join. In the short term I broke down and applied some clear caulking on the rubber to fill in any gaps. In the long term I plan to take one of the smaller window out and take it to a glass shop to figure out what size and type of rubber to redo the window. This is a once in 40+ year job.

P.S. While you have the windows out to replace the bytual tape check out the wood framing around the windows, may as well fix those while you are there...

Good Luck!

Old Ranger
Old Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford