Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:55 PM   #1

1983 Chevy 454 spark plug change.

Howdy Everyone - I'm hoping someone here has some hints, tips and tricks for replacing hard to access spark plugs on the venerable Chevy 454.

Today I decided to replace the spark plugs, wires and distributor cap on my recently purchased '83 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL and I've run into a problem.

I sprayed some penetrating oil onto the plugs first and let it sit for about 15 minutes. I did all of the passenger side plugs first because they were easy to access. No problems on the passenger side. Then I sighed and stared at the driver side because I could see it was going to be a tougher process.

The #1 plug seems near impossible to get at. That's the forward most plug on the driver side. I had a heck of a time getting the old plug out because the exhaust manifold is so tight up against the block I couldn't even really freely turn the ratchet but eventually with an extension and a lot of very tiny moves it came out - well - sort of. It broke in half, I assume because the manifold was putting a little pressure on the socket and the plugs look old and brittle. No worries, it broke before the 5/8 nut part of the plug so I was able to ratchet out the other half too. One of the plugs on the passenger side did this to me too. I think they've been in there a long time.

Try as I might I just can't get the new plug to thread in and get started. I dipped my finger in some engine oil and put a drop on the plug threads and no matter what uncomfortable position I lie in and how I twist my fingers, wrist and arm it's not cooperating. There's no obstruction, took some pictures with my phone to make sure and it all looks good.

So I gave up and decided to hit these forums and start googling and looking for YouTube videos. I'd appreciate advice from anyone whose faced this kind of trouble before.

included pictures of the old plugs removed so far for your amusement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	83_454_old_plugs.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	318.7 KB
ID:	174303  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2017, 06:20 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
First, 15 minutes of soak with a penetrating oil is way too short. I usually do it a day or more ahead of tackling tough bolts or nuts.

You might try putting a piece of fuel line hose on the plug to hold it and try and start the threads into the hole. That's how I did air-cooled VW plugs.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:56 PM   #3

I wasn't sure if I'd need the penetrating oil at all but just to be safe I already sprayed the driver side plugs so when I go back at this tomorrow they should come out easier.

Thanks for the tip on the fuel line to start the new plug - I'll give that a try. I do NOT want to cross thread it getting the #1 plug back in. Really worried about that. I am also pondering the possibility that that crushable washer from the old plug got left behind so I am going to gently dig around with a small dental type pick. I am working blind because I can't see the spark plug port at all from above or below.

I have a deep seething hatred for that exhaust manifold too. It is seriously in the way when trying to access that #1 plug.

Wish me luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
First, 15 minutes of soak with a penetrating oil is way too short. I usually do it a day or more ahead of tackling tough bolts or nuts.

You might try putting a piece of fuel line hose on the plug to hold it and try and start the threads into the hole. That's how I did air-cooled VW plugs.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:19 PM   #4

No washer on those plugs....they are tapered seats
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:22 PM   #5

Thanks! Saves me trying to dig around in there blindly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorPro View Post
No washer on those plugs....they are tapered seats
Old 08-24-2017, 08:52 PM   #6

I hope you are using a form of Never Seize to reinstall anything. If you're lucky, or unlucky, such as it may be the Never Seize makes a tough job so much easier.

Another suggestion, check out YouTube to see if there are any tricks of the trade available. It might be something as simple as pulling a fender liner for access that can make a job like this easier.

I just got through pulling a gas tank twice, second time because I pinched the fuel hose the first time. The only way I've found to secure the fuel fill hose to the tank is by contorting one's body into a position that has to be unnatural. Then the hose clamp is slid into place using long screwdrivers like chopsticks. Two six inch and one four inch 3/8" extensions on a 5/16" socket reach the screw on the hose clamp. But it takes many many attempts to finally get the screw down to the point where a ratchet can be added to the combination for final snugging.

This is all part of it.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:59 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Evening,
We get in the drivers seat and start her up and turn the wheel. Shut off 454 and climb in the wheel well and you have access to the plugs. We do this on my 1982 Pace Arrow 454.
Do the same for the other side.
Let us know if you have better luck.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:05 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Some years back, I recall replacing the plugs on my '87 Pace Arrow with the 454. I think that I removed the entire doghouse, which had like 37 screws holding it on. This gave me a few extra inches to get to the drivers side plugs. Hope you figure out an easy way. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:39 PM   #9

All,

Thanks for all the advice. I put all of your advice to use and I did get all 8 plugs replaced. I never want to do that again! Took a lot of crawling around working from above and below. I didn't think to try to do it from the wheel wells but maybe next time I have to get into that area.

I had good luck with a bit of fuel line hose to get some of the plugs started that I couldn't start with my fingers. I put a little copper anti-seize paste on the threads and dialectric grease on the boots.

Seems to have greatly improved things, the engine idles more smoothly with no misfires, no backfiring and is more responsive to the throttle.

Many thanks to all for their ideas and help!
Old 08-25-2017, 12:44 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Glad to hear you "Got 'er done!"

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 03:14 PM   #11

Nice job...now you can come do mine....
wingnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:17 PM   #12

Sure, after all the cuts and scrapes on my hands and arms heal, ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnuts View Post
Nice job...now you can come do mine....
Old 09-01-2017, 06:39 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
I guess I should consider myself lucky! I just changed the plugs/wires/cap/rotor on mine and I'm assuming they changed the manifold. It was pretty easy on mine. I pulled a heat/splash shield off and had clear access. I did pull the front tires though.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:04 AM   #14

I can do mine from the top. Including removing and replacing the dog house about 20 mins.
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
454, chevy