Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2011, 03:34 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
1983 HOLIDAY RAMBLER Imperial 27

Hello to all ,this is my first post and first RV that i might purchase, I am looking at a 1983 HOLIDAY RAMBLER Imperial 27 ,i do not know alot about them it has a ford driveline 460 engine , fresh tune up all new fluids all brand new tires, runs and drives real good everything works even has a propayne gen set built in,

My question is where these qaulity built and what should i be looking for as far as major problems in the future,

Thank you
James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	holiday rambler 028.jpg
Views:	2135
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	11337   Click image for larger version

Name:	holiday rambler 021.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	11338  

Click image for larger version

Name:	holiday rambler 025.jpg
Views:	1229
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	11339   Click image for larger version

Name:	holiday rambler 024.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	11340  

dieseldust is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2011, 06:49 PM   #2

Yes, HR was a quality built coach. Many of us are pretty fond of them. Regarding all the problems to look for would be like writing a book. The most relevant might be a very close inspection of the interior walls near the ceiling as well as the ceiling itself. Also under the windows. You're looking for traces of water damage. Wrinkled wall paper and "soft spots" are what you're looking for and are potential show stoppers if you're looking for a source of expensive repairs. Same can be said for soft spots found in the floors. From there I would take it to somebody that does motor home chassis work in your area and ask them for a "safety check" that would include a brake inspection and a good going over underneath it. If it passes both those tests reasonably well, everything has been demonstrated to be in good working condition (including the refer!), and it drives out well, I'd say you have a good chance of having found one of the "good ones" out there. FWIW
Old 06-18-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Looks like a nice old HR. They were well above standard construction. other than the maintenance issues, the big thing to watch for on the older rigs are water leaks.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:29 PM   #4

Not much to add but it does look nice. Take it to someone who can look at the chassis. Check for water and especially over the cab. We almost pulled the trigger on a couple of late model Class A HR and I have been fond of them for awhile. Choise our current rig instead.

Good Luck
Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:41 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club

Nice looking HR ! we have a 92' HR class A that's still going strong, they are wall built units. As TXiceman said the big thing is water leaks. The Ford 460 is a good work horse and along with the C6 trans is a good combination.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:44 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
All I can say is that if we didn't already have 2 to work on extensively, we'd be racing you to buy that one! Very nice looking rig! Tag axle would be the only thing to check that I can think of, offhand. Good luck!
Old 06-19-2011, 11:22 AM   #7

That's a good looking coach. I have a 1990 class A and love it. Really well built so much so there aren't many in salvage yards so parts are very hard to get. HR used Lester electronics which are out of business now so be prepared to search for parts needed. Good Luck!
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
How many miles does it have on it?
J
GOLDWINGER2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #9

exhaust manifold leaks are a big problem with the older 460 and if it has a gen. make sure it works well.
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:53 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
HR

Keep all the information comming , No water damage or sign of it ever having any 460 manifolds are quiet it has a propane generator that runs quiet and purrs like a kitten a/c blows ice cold, the only thing i can see so far is one off the gaskets on the overhead front window needs replacing it popped out a bit and some upolustry work the couch has been well used

Jim
dieseldust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:02 PM   #11

I'm not sure how HR constructed their outside panels but a look over for delamination on the outside panels would be advisable.
BA-in-Mich is offline   Reply With Quote