Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2022, 11:29 PM   #1

1983 Mobile Traveler - Connecting a 110v inverter to the rig's wiring?

This carries on a conversation from an earlier thread I had going that was too old to reply to:

https://www.bestconverter.com/55-Amp...ries_p_47.html

I ended up buying that new converter from Best Converters and installing it along with a new deep cycle battery, a 100w solar panel, and LED interior bulbs, and I couldn't be happier.

Now I have another question... I also installed a garden variety (auto parts store) ~$80 inverter (1000w I think) that works just fine for powering my laptop, which is pretty much all I need it for, along with maybe running a 12" fan every now and then on really hot summer days.

My question is, would it be kosher to send the 110v coming out of the inverter to the 110 wiring system in the rig so that I have power at all the wall outlets? It would easy enough to wire up.

One potential drawback I can think of is that the extra resistance of sending power throughout the rig's wiring will make the little inverter scream if it starts coming up against its limits.

More importantly, I don't know what would happen should the rig get plugged into shore power with this system in place. Would it fry the inverter? I can imagine that some inverters have protection against this, but like said, ~$80...

And if that were a concern, how could get around that issue? A diode preventing current from flowing back 'upstream' into the inverter?

These kinds of things keep me up at night... ;-)
vincebodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2022, 06:40 AM   #2

No, you can NOT connect your inverter directly to your 120 volt wiring.

You can buy an inverter transfer switch that isolates the 2 inputs.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 08:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
No, you can NOT connect your inverter directly to your 120 volt wiring.
Thinking about it more, I suppose the shore power plug would be hot whenever the inverter was on... not good! Not to mention the back feeding into the inverter if plugged into shore power... FIRE, EXPLOSIONS, CATASTROPHE ANYONE? No thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You can buy an inverter transfer switch that isolates the 2 inputs.
I see there are automatic and manual units, at least according to these folks:
https://invertersrus.com/product-cat...sfer-switches/

It seems that for a manual setup any switch with two inputs and one output that is rated for sufficient amperage would do the trick, no?

Or better yet for less than $500 this 2000w pure sine wave inverter with built in transfer switch:

https://theinverterstore.com/product...ansfer-switch/
Old 11-28-2022, 09:04 AM   #4

The 2nd option would be nice but then you get into needing a larger battery bank if you want to use its full capacity.

4 batteries equaling about 400 AH would be needed.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:29 AM   #5

You could use option 2 and install an outlet to plug your shore power cord directly into the inverter. That would fire up the entire coach so you would need to be very careful not to turn on all the breakers. That's how we have our set up and it works fine. We have the pass through but with the direct connection to the power cord, the pass through wire is not connected or use. The plug in outlet is in the same bay as the power cord. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 11:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
You could use option 2 and install an outlet to plug your shore power cord directly into the inverter. That would fire up the entire coach so you would need to be very careful not to turn on all the breakers. That's how we have our set up and it works fine. We have the pass through but with the direct connection to the power cord, the pass through wire is not connected or use. The plug in outlet is in the same bay as the power cord. Chuck

Yes this is what I was going to recommend, I had my inverter wired this way for awhile and it worked great. You will have to manage loads as mentioned however.
Old 11-28-2022, 12:41 PM   #7

Now I have another question... I also installed a garden variety (auto parts store) ~$80 inverter (1000w I think) that works just fine for powering my laptop, which is pretty much all I need it for, along with maybe running a 12" fan every now and then on really hot summer days.

My question is, would it be kosher to send the 110v coming out of the inverter to the 110 wiring system in the rig so that I have power at all the wall outlets? It would easy enough to wire up.

There are important reasons not to do this. As you later guessed, fire, smoke, and shocking experiences are the biggest. The size of the inverter is also a problem.

The inverter is not big enough to use as a whole house power supply. Also the built in battery charger will run.

And if that were a concern, how could get around that issue? A diode preventing current from flowing back 'upstream' into the inverter?

Diodes will not solve the problem with AC systems. The best plan is to use the outlets on the inverter as delivered. I installed a second set of outlets in my travel trailer and connected the inverter to the second set. The two AC systems are completely separate.

There are two other basic methods of installing inverters. Usually they use a larger capacity inverter and a much larger battery bank.

For a 2000 watt inverter, use a 400 amp hour battery bank and install a second circuit breaker panel for outlets to be connected to the inverter. Battery charger and high current devices stay on the old breaker panel. Sometimes a transfer switch is used to switch the inverter circuits to the main breaker panel.

A 3000 watt inverter may be used as a whole house system. It usually comes with a built in transfer switch and a built in charger that disconnects when inverting is in progress. An 600 amp hour lead acid battery bank is required.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 02:32 PM   #8

There are important reasons not to do this. As you later guessed, fire, smoke, and shocking experiences are the biggest. The size of the inverter is also a problem.

Also the built in battery charger will run.

I used a small 110v relay to break the power to the circuit powering the battery charger, powered directly off the inverter so no charging when inverter is on. Im still using that method even though my inverter is now wired to my generator input on my transfer switch. I plug my shore cord into a 50a outlet in my electric bay tied to generator for gen power.

If wired properly the worst thing that will happen with the small inverter is blowing a fuse or circuit breaker on the inverter. Its not that much different than plugging the shore into a 15 amp circuit, it just requires energy management.
Old 11-29-2022, 09:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
Why would it matter about the breakers? Bear in mind this rig is only a 19' Class C from 1983, and if I remember correctly only one of the three 110v breakers is even used (I'm not near the rig at the moment). At one point there was an AC unit on the roof that I believe was connected to a second breaker, but it's long gone. The only other item that's a potential heavy draw is the fridge, but it's inoperable at the moment. Not sure which breaker it's wired to, but I do plan to fix or replace it someday soon.
Old 11-29-2022, 10:18 AM   #10

The breaker to switch off would be the converter/charger.
Everything else has on/off switchs.

Converter/charger can not charge the batteries running the inverter. Causes a loop of rapid dead batteries.
Old 11-29-2022, 10:31 AM   #11

I had my water heater, refrigerator and converter breakers off. I left the microwave breaker on even though it wouldn't run with the small inverter (I liked the clock display).

Tags
inverter, travel, wiring