Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2016, 09:15 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
1984 Ford Tioga Class C - Emissions Evap System Help

Hello everyone.

Recently my RV (1984 Ford Econoline E350 - 7.5L 460 4bbl) failed the EVAP pressure test during a California Smog test. Lots of questions:

Q1 - Any suggestions on steps in which to troubleshoot and find the leak?

Q2 - Any suggestions on where to purchase the "hard to find" evap system parts, like charcoal canister, and purge control valves, for an old vehicle?

Q3 - Anyone use or know of other vehicle parts substitutes for the evap system?

Q4 - Any suggestions on how I can perform a pressure test myself to check for leaks after any repairs made?

I understand the evap system extends from the fuel tank to the carburetor but trying to find out what portion of the evap system is supposed to be pressure tested.

Thank you in advance for any help!
johnjrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2016, 10:27 AM   #2

smog test

I have a 1985 460 f350 that failed az test replaced gas cap and it passed
52motorscoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:59 AM   #3

Locking gas caps are often an issue.
If not cap have a good look at lines in eval system for cracking on rubber hoses.
Have seen filler neck hose clamps a little loose and leaking.

For a small leak you could try and isolate sections and pressurize with a few pounds air pressure and use soapy water to look for leaks.
Good Luck with it.
GBRG07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:23 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52motorscoot View Post
I have a 1985 460 f350 that failed az test replaced gas cap and it passed
I had initially thought of that, but in CA they remove your gas cap and install their evap pressure testing cap so they can pressurize the evap system from the fuel filler opening. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:35 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRG07 View Post
Locking gas caps are often an issue.
If not cap have a good look at lines in eval system for cracking on rubber hoses.
Have seen filler neck hose clamps a little loose and leaking.

For a small leak you could try and isolate sections and pressurize with a few pounds air pressure and use soapy water to look for leaks.
Good Luck with it.
I think you might be on the right track!

I went out and disconnected some lines -- before the charcoal canister -- at the back of the vehicle. I did a vacuum pressure test and it failed. so have to keep moving back til I find a leak.

I don't know if a vacuum test is a simple substitute for a pressure test so not sure if I was doing the right thing. But good suggestion on using air pressure and soapy water to find the leak.

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks!!

Tags
class c, ford