Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #1

1984 Itasca Sunflyer Wiring

Hello!

I recently purchased a 1984 Itasca Sunflyer. As I was going through it today, I have been unable to get the radio to turn on. It seems as though all other electrical plugs, lights and anything else I can think of works. After I finally found the fuse box, I looked over it for a fuse labeled radio which I couldn't locate. I did find one labeled for Accessories I do believe, which does not have a fuse or connection to it. It is a newer aftermarket radio and looking at the wiring coming off of it it's somewhat confusing to try and figure out. I don't know if anyone would have any advice as to what things I might be able to check to figure out the issue. I'm just not exactly sure where to start. I will gladly provide more information if needed!

Thank you in advance!
shiloh90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 12:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiloh90 View Post
Hello!

I recently purchased a 1984 Itasca Sunflyer. As I was going through it today, I have been unable to get the radio to turn on. It seems as though all other electrical plugs, lights and anything else I can think of works. After I finally found the fuse box, I looked over it for a fuse labeled radio which I couldn't locate. I did find one labeled for Accessories I do believe, which does not have a fuse or connection to it. It is a newer aftermarket radio and looking at the wiring coming off of it it's somewhat confusing to try and figure out. I don't know if anyone would have any advice as to what things I might be able to check to figure out the issue. I'm just not exactly sure where to start. I will gladly provide more information if needed!

Thank you in advance!
First of all get one of these 12VDC testers.

Clip the wire to a good ground on the chassis and anything the sharp tip touches that has power will light a lamp in the tester. Most aftermarket radios have two power supply feeds, one that is always on to power the memory and the clock, and another which is only on when the accessory feed from the ignition switch is on. (powers the actual radio). Both usually MUST be powered for the radio to work. Usually the accessory ign. feed is a red wire, and the always on feed is yellow, but not always. These two wires almost always have a fuseholder and a blown fuse in these can kill the radio, so check with your tester that power is coming to the radio by opening the fuse holder and touching the radio end of the fuse while holding it in the fuseholder with your fingers. If one or both of the feeds are dead you'll have to trace them back. You may have to obtain a wiring diagram from your manufacturer to find out where the wires go if you have to trace any of the coach's original wiring. Also note that some coaches have a switch to transfer the speakers in the interior from the dash radio to the entertainment center. On our coach the radio won't play if the entertainment center is selected.

Good luck.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:15 PM   #3

Alright thanks, I will give this a try on Wednesday when I have a chance to check it out. I'm hoping it is just a fuse. Otherwise I'm not sure what it could be besides a disconnected wire.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:58 AM   #4

Looking at an 84 P30 chassis wiring diagram, GM did not have a separate radio fuse. Would have used the Accessory Fuse. Aftermarket radios typically have 2 power sources both of which may have come with wires that had "in-line" fuses. One line is used to keep power applied to the radio at all times to keep the memory energized. The other line is used to indicate the ignition switch is On or OFF.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:31 AM   #5

Thanks! I do believe I saw a few in line fuses which I will definitely check. I actually just ordered myself the CD-ROM shop manual so hopefully that will make things a little easier. I still haven't had a chance to get into the radio yet as I found some water damage I'm currently fixing.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:40 PM   #6

Just remember that the P30 shop manual only reflects the chassis as delivered from GM. A coach mfg like Winnebago makes changes to that baseline. Unfortunately, Winnebago only posts 1990 and later electrical drawings on the web so pre-1990 owners have to use basic principles to deduce how many things are hooked up.

I should also mention a 1984 CHEVROLET & GMC C/K 10-35 LIGHT DUTY, G & P SERIES Body, Chassis & Electrical Service Manual CD covers pickups as well as the bread truck/motorhome version of the P series (20/30) chassis. You will be concentrating on the P42 wiring diagram.

Dave
Old 02-11-2014, 06:48 AM   #7

Okay I see, thank you. That probably saved me some confusion and hassle! Luckily, it looks like the only other non stock thing hooked up around the radio is a spotlight on the roof w/ directional motors.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:05 AM   #8

Oh, hopefully this fits in here since we are already talking about wiring but something I actually just noticed. On one of the kitchen table bench seats there is a knob (next to the power inverter or converter exhaust vent?) to switch between the front and rear ac/heater units on the roof. Next to the knob it says to place the knob in the front position to be able to use both units at the same time. Although, I can only get each one to work when the knob is in its respective position (front only works in front position, rear only works in rear position) but neither will work at the same time in either position. Any thoughts?
Old 02-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #9

30 amp service rigs were designed to limit only one AC to run at a time. What they did with those switches was to allow you to run one AC off the shore power cable and the other AC off the generator. However a few rigs with a 6.5KW generator, allow you to plug one circuit of the generator into the shore power cable for one AC (font) and the other generator circuit is internally wired to run the other AC (rear).

Dave

Tags
itasca, wiring