Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2011, 10:35 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Once the UV has degraded the fiberglass to where you can see the strands, about the only thing you can do is paint or gel coat. If you use a wax or some other treatment, when it comes time to paint, you have to get it ALL off otherwise the paint won't stick. If it were me, I think I'd clean it good, then get a coat of primer on it. Since it's the roof, you don't need to worry about looks, just protection. I've used Ditzler (PPG) products (Deltron) and DP primer (DP40 is grey green, DP90 is black) with good results on fiberglass.

I guess the later Elandans/Windcruisers had aluminum roofs, as that is what is on mine. Still in good shape, but has some dents from hail.
dgapilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My roof is aluminum. I had one long seam that was loose - I sealed everything with Eternabond.
I'd be cautious about applying just primer. Primer isn't typically a weather proof surface.

Peter
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:07 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Great information here on remodels. Sure appreciate all of the good ideas. Has anyone used the embossed paintable wallpaper to replace the failing vinyl attached (or maybe not attached) to the luan on walls? Thinking about trying to use that to help cover the irregularities on walls. Thanks again for all of the help here..............ronspradley
We used the embossed paper in the dinette and hall, and regular paper in the bedroom. No issues after 18 months and it looks great Book the paper before applying it and it should adhere properly- if a seam lifts, get the adhesive made to repair wallpaper seams (DIF? I think- available at Walmart)

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:29 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
We used the embossed paper in the dinette and hall, and regular paper in the bedroom. No issues after 18 months and it looks great Book the paper before applying it and it should adhere properly- if a seam lifts, get the adhesive made to repair wallpaper seams (DIF? I think- available at Walmart)

That really does look nice!
Old 10-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wall covering fail!

Wall Covering Fail!!!
Last night it got cold for the first time...around 18f. This morning I found my nice grey plastic wall covering had failed. It stayed affixed in some areas but the large sheet under the window lifted - buckled - failed.
The adhesive - Weldwood brush on take one whiff and you'll die serious contact adhesive had completely...failed.

So disappointing.

Now what ?
Old 10-27-2011, 08:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Crowl View Post
Wall Covering Fail!!!
Last night it got cold for the first time...around 18f. This morning I found my nice grey plastic wall covering had failed. It stayed affixed in some areas but the large sheet under the window lifted - buckled - failed.
The adhesive - Weldwood brush on take one whiff and you'll die serious contact adhesive had completely...failed.

So disappointing.

Now what ?
Originally we used the Weld Wood stuff and like yours, the first cold night we had issues like you had with yours. After that we used some professional grade spray adhesive for the wall paper, vinyl wall tiles and vinyl ceiling that we installed. Most of it has been in for almost a year now and has held great. Coldest weather we have had was in the upper teens and low twenties, the hottest has been in the 100's. We purchased a five gallon can of the adhesive from Keyston Bros. The only drawback is if you don't get it right the first time you're not going to be able to fix it, because it's never coming off!
Old 10-27-2011, 10:06 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I thought the weldwood was going to be like that :~(
I can hit up my upholstery supplier...I used the Weldwood spray adhesive on the opposite wall and the plastic skin I applied has better adhesion...still buckled but not as much.
The ceiling panels are holding as is the vinyl in back but obviously a more aggressive adhesive in needed. Problem is, the nice warm days are behind us. low 60's is the best I can hope for. I fear my window of opportunity for gluing things up may be past.

I could heat it up inside using the furnace or a drywall heater but they'd have to be out or off before the adhesive went in. Then there's the issue that the wall will still be cold on the outside.

Then there's the underlying problem: The plastic material reacted to the temperature in a severe manner. I don't see how I can stay with it.
I really don't want this to screw me till Spring.

Dang.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:31 PM   #22

We glued half our ceiling when it was 40 degrees outside. You can use the furnace to heat the inside, The flame in the burner is not exposed to the interior, it is vented outside. Also, make sure that both the wall and the material being applied has a very liberal coat of adhesive, then wait till it's tacking before sticking them together. The adhesive we got can not be sold to consumers and is not to be used near any occupied residential areas. I think that is what makes it so potent. If you think the odor of the Weld Wood stuff was strongWOW this stuff we used was off the chart. Definitely need a respirator!
Old 10-28-2011, 07:50 AM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok - that's the adhesive I'm looking for :~)
If it's really that bad I'll bring out my fresh air respirator!
Keyston has a few to choose from - which one did you choose?
Old 10-28-2011, 08:53 AM   #24

ADH105P is the model #, I also had to have a friend with a resale license setup an account because they won't sell it to a consumer. Once you open the lid you will know why. To apply it I bought a $15 HLVP spray gun from Harbor Freight Tools.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:48 AM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That time already?

Yep!
With the nice spring we've had I brought the Elandan out of storage and back to my driveway to finish the interior. She started right up and ran well. I had been able to plug her in off and on over winter so the batteries were up.

First thing I found was that a large Coroplast ceiling panel had fallen. The adhesive had caused the Kilz Oil Based Primer to come away from the vinyl on the interior panel(s). When replacing it I used the heat gun to strip the vinyl off the luan. That and liquid nails has it holding up - so far.

The plastic I'd adhered to the walls up front failed last fall. I removed that and glued in upholstery vinyl. That is holding well so far. The vinyl I put on the walls in the bedroom held up over winter so I'm hopeful.

The plan for this week is to get the cabinets back in and up. Once that's finished I'm pretty much ready for flooring. I'm still skittish about using Allure. I'm leaning toward sheet vinyl.

Finally - I just acquired a Toad! 1997 Tracker. 92,000 one owner miles. Bought it from Mr. Maintenance who has had all PM done including the timing belt and water pump.

So at least if the Winnie dies I can still get where I'm going :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0640.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	298.8 KB
ID:	20377  

Tags
elandan, winnebago