Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #1

1985 Gulf Stream

I'm getting ready to pick up a new vintage RV next weekend. Tried to pick it up today, but there was heavy snow and blizzard conditions on part of the trek from Colo Spgs to Denver this morning. Seller informed me the washer pump doesn't work, and driving without them today would have meant a crash for sure. We used about a gallon of washer fluid on the drive up. But, I have title and keys in hand, so we'll pick her up next weekend. Also saw today that the seller has tied the house & starting batteries together. Genius. Starting batteries do so well when completely discharged over and over. So the first two orders of business next weekend are installing a new washer kit, and removing the jumper between batts.

She's a 1985 Gulf Stream Sun Stream 34' with 49k miles. Has the 454 with Banks Power Pack, and I'm told rear disc brakes with a hydroboost brake booster. I don't doubt it as it will send you through the windshield if you get on the brakes hard. Living area has been updated to a nice upholstery in the original button tufted style, and wood floors have been installed. Nearly new fridge; owner removed the upper fridge cabinet to install a larger fridge. New water heater, master cylinder, and pump for the levelers. Also new front springs and airbags. Exterior is rough since it has been sitting outside, but a few hours with the polisher (ok probably many hours) and rubbing compound followed by Glare polish should fix most of that. Has awnings over the left side windows, but the fabric is toast. Has mounts for a large awning, but the awning is missing. Has twin beds with a makeshift conversion to a double, and the wife wants a single bed, so I'll have to convert it to a more finished, factory looking queen, but it'll have to be removable to access the water tank and electrical under the twins if needed. 6.5kW gen has high hours, a little over 1100, and has a rollercoaster running speed. It'll need servicing and oil change, air & oil filters, probably a carb rebuild as well. All in all, I think it was a good deal for $3700.

Have had a '78 GMC Royale for a little over a year, which I sold Fri evening. Mainly got it to drag the 23' jetboat so we could boat 4-5days at a time further from home; figured the front wheel drive would be better since the drive wheels wouldn't get anywhere near the water or slick stuff. The more I've thought about it the less I'm convinced it'll work well (no hitch on it yet); sitting on an incline, the weight will be loaded to the rear end; depending on the surface and degree of incline, it may not have enough traction to pull the ~4500lb boat out of the water and up the ramp. Shame though, would have been the perfect tow rig for my '78 Glastron/Carlson CV23 jetboat. I think the Sun Stream will fill our needs better.

Anyone have any info on the '85 Gulf Streams? I've got the '85 brochure, but it's really lacking info.

429CV23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Have good times and create great memories for the kids while being safe!

New here too, but welcome to the classics forum!
sam60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:02 PM   #3

Well, my kids are grown and on their own (20yr old son mostly on his own), but my daughter and SIL are working on grandkids. That was another reason to move away from the GMC into something larger. Plenty of room in the Sun Stream for grand-youngins.
429CV23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:50 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Yeah them kids will be around soon! We have 4 that we can sugar up & send home.
sam60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:59 AM   #5

Figured I'll post updates to my project here. Got one of the twin beds out yesterday. Was a PIA - they had it screwed in from the bathroom, but I had no access to the screw since it was inside the bathroom wall. Hello sawzall! Will have the other side out tonight, along with the carpet and getting it all cleaned up. Amazing how nice the carpet inside the twin looks! Still covered with the plastic sheeting too.
Cleaning up the wiring shouldn't be too bad; the new power center will be installed under the new queen facing the hallway. Looks like I'll be able to get the water line from the tank to the bathroom vanity where the city feed comes in and tie it into the system there.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:10 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi and Welcome to the Forum!

Looks like a great project that will meet your needs.
Don't be too concerned about a factory manual. As you've found out already, they are very generic. The coach builder typically included a chassis manual and assorted manuals for the various appliances and systems (fridge, furnace, water heater, etc.). Wiring and plumbing diagrams will be non-existent.

Dig around and find the make/model tags for all those items then start an Internet search. You should be able to come up with what you need. This link will get you started: Service Documents and Manuals

Have fun and best of luck!

Back in the late '80's early 90's my best friend was into water skiing and had Carlson CV23 (the James Bond boat) but with a stern drive. Nice boat but a little slow out of the hole. He sold it and bought a CV20 with a 235 HP Johnson outboard. That boat was the boss for skiing behind!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
Hi and Welcome to the Forum!

Looks like a great project that will meet your needs.
Don't be too concerned about a factory manual. As you've found out already, they are very generic. The coach builder typically included a chassis manual and assorted manuals for the various appliances and systems (fridge, furnace, water heater, etc.). Wiring and plumbing diagrams will be non-existent.

Dig around and find the make/model tags for all those items then start an Internet search. You should be able to come up with what you need. This link will get you started: Service Documents and Manuals

Have fun and best of luck!

Back in the late '80's early 90's my best friend was into water skiing and had Carlson CV23 (the James Bond boat) but with a stern drive. Nice boat but a little slow out of the hole. He sold it and bought a CV20 with a 235 HP Johnson outboard. That boat was the boss for skiing behind!
Thanks for the link! I was just there earlier today; the only site I found with the Hydro-Flame DC-82 furnace manual.
The Carlsons are awesome boats. My first boat was a CV16ss, sold it and bought a CVX-18. Had several others in between, but am very happy so far with the CV23. Looking forward to summer and putting a bunch of hours on her fresh, 475hp 460.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:18 AM   #8

The lay out looks a lot like our 1988 32' Gulfstream Hi Rise. We have a Queen bed but even the wall covering is the same. Ours has a John Deer Chassis with a 460 Ford. As it's been said most of the interior stuff is generic, The biggest thing you should have is the chassis manual. You can find out what yours is from the id plate over your left hand shoulder from the drivers seat. Another member here gave me a link where I printed one out for mine. Wiring identification can be made by looking at the fuse and breaker panels. Have fun with it, we have with ours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150214_0004.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	342.5 KB
ID:	96168   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0588.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	96169  

Name:	SAM_0583.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	96170   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0589.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	96171  

Old 06-05-2015, 06:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpony56hd View Post
The lay out looks a lot like our 1988 32' Gulfstream Hi Rise. We have a Queen bed but even the wall covering is the same. Ours has a John Deer Chassis with a 460 Ford. As it's been said most of the interior stuff is generic, The biggest thing you should have is the chassis manual. You can find out what yours is from the id plate over your left hand shoulder from the drivers seat. Another member here gave me a link where I printed one out for mine. Wiring identification can be made by looking at the fuse and breaker panels. Have fun with it, we have with ours.
I like what you've done with your interior, opens it up quite a bit. I wish the ID plate was still in mine! Mine has the P32 chassis; I've downloaded quite a bit of info/manuals for it.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:59 AM   #10

I've made a bit of progress on the bedroom. I just need to remove the carpet and clean it all up. I have the 3/4" oak plywood cut and just about ready to stain (just need to do a bit of sanding on the platform edges), will probably get it stained this weekend. Early next week I can get it assembled and get the new power center and transfer switch installed and wired. I think to make the project easier I'm going under the floor with the water and right side electrical. Shouldn't be too bad using 1-1.5" sch80 pvc to house the water line and 1-1.5" conduit for the electrical. I'll need to build and stain a cover for the fuel fill intrusion too. Didn't know that was there until I removed the water tank.

Old 06-06-2015, 03:20 PM   #11

We have the single bed set up in ours. It has under the bed storage, half from the top inside and half from the outside. the power center is in the forward side as in the pictures. Hope this helps some. The wall in the background, is in the middle of a much needed repair due to a water leak. We didn't realize we had a leak until my wife bumped the wall, while making the bed and it basically fell apart.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_0661.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	96370   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0662.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	96371  

Name:	SAM_0665.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	96372   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0664.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	96373  

Old 06-06-2015, 08:13 PM   #12

Unfortunately mine won't have any storage under it. 2'x4' is taken up by the generator. The water tank, water pump, and power center will be under there too. I placed my power center basically in the same spot as yours; gives good visual for blown fuse LED indicators from up front and better access. I'm hoping to have enough room to add a rear heater. Mine probably had one originally as there is a factory switch for it in the dash. I think the PO removed it when he installed his makeshift full size bed over the top of the twins. He moved the power center from the center nightstand he cut out to the spot I think the heater would have been. I can get an auxiliary heater for a Chevy Astro Van for about $75 on ebay. Comes complete with blower and heater core. Then just fab up some ductwork next to the power center. Even if I have to plumb the coolant lines to/from it, it's not a big deal to plumb them into the current outgoing heater core hose. Since these have a valve that allows coolant to flow through the heater core only when heat is called for, the same will go for the rear heater.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpony56hd View Post
We have the single bed set up in ours. It has under the bed storage, half from the top inside and half from the outside. the power center is in the forward side as in the pictures. Hope this helps some. The wall in the background, is in the middle of a much needed repair due to a water leak. We didn't realize we had a leak until my wife bumped the wall, while making the bed and it basically fell apart.
Is that a factory queen bed, or was it a conversion from twins?
Old 06-07-2015, 02:28 PM   #14

It's factory set up, it had a propane furnace under the stove. The furnace was noisy and a gas hog, so I took it out. The hot water heater would only work while the engine is running, or for a short time after.