Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2011, 07:48 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
p3abc's Channel - YouTube this is the video of the geset thats in my RV to its #s are very close to mine, Still looking for parts so i know what to expect and a manual for it would help. Ill post if i can find the info for others to.
Thanks to all who are responding to my posts and looking forward to help others if i can to.
denniA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2011, 09:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniA View Post
At least the motor runs good. its a KV 6.5 model 5nh3cr16004p ser # f843792130 funny thing is onan says ser # are only 8 digits so idk,any way going to keep at it.
Is "5nh3cr16004p" actually "6.5nh3cr16004p"?

6.5KW NH Series, Spec P

f843792130 = Built (F) June 84, 3=Huntsville plant, S/N=792130

Operators manual: 940-0121 (http://dave78chieftain.zxq.net/OnanM...20940-0121.pdf [My collection of stuff])

Service Manual: 900-0337 (Onan 900-0337 Bf-Bfa-Bga-Nh Service Manul.pdf [My collection of stuff]; The manual you need for Troubleshooting)

Parts Manual: 940-0222 (http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ARTSMANUAL.pdf)

Install Manual: 940-0610

You never have said whats wrong with it

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #17

dave see post # 9
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:15 AM   #18

I had clicking in my 79 RV with a 400 Dodge motor. I took the intake manifold off & checked all the valves & also took the valve covers off to check the rockers. All was good except it had sludge all in it. I took it to a local mechanic that does work at his house & he said some of the piston rod bearings were bad. He replaced the rod bearings, the crankshaft(it was damaged because of the bad bearings), the timing chain, water pump, all new gaskets, plus put in a new master cylinder & bled the brakes all for $1,400. A hell of a job I could not do myself. He did say he removed the oil pan to get to the rods & removed the front of the motor to get the crankshaft out. The motor used to click really bad but since all this was fixed 3 years ago, still running like a champ.
Jerry
cubano222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Over revved engine usually damages the Valve Springs and/or the lifters.. first thing to do is have those replaced (easy, in RV, job), UNLESS a tech tells you it something else, of course..

As for the generator... : Onan Generators - SmokStak
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thank YOU ! i spent all mornning tring to find any info for that genset!!! This will help alot and it even shows how to repair the generator side WOW.
You guys are the best
Old 09-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
I had a master rebuilder here in town look at it jsut an hour ago he thinks its ither a headgasket or a rod thats makeing a hiss sound but not through the carb or exhaust. So i have to take the oil pan out and see then the heads off if all looks good in the oil pan. I remember have to do that on an older dodge 440 i found a rod bolt in the pan yet all the bolts where their.Ill post the findings and so far from what the rebuilder says i did not evan notice that sound befor it was the rattle but if the engine is on low idel it runs smooth. So im hopping it wont be to bad of a fix. Will keep posting as i get along on this.
Thanks to all who have taken a active part in providing so much help!!
Old 09-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
The motor started after i replaced the points plugs changed the oil filter air filter and rebuilt the fule pump. It started right up but then i saw sparks comming out the gen-side shut it down and their was a small fire inside i blew it out. Thank you for the links very much
Old 09-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #23

check your PM
dave
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:05 PM   #24

Hopefully it was nothing serious. Make sure you perform the field tests on page 47 before disassembly.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:15 PM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you changed the oil to a little heavier type older engine to have some bad clearance issues. Mine prefered 20-50 and ran quite and smooth for 4 years after I learned to go heavier. You should aslo be able to get some info from fleetwood. They sent me the original owners manual.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:24 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by denniA View Post
I had a master rebuilder here in town look at it jsut an hour ago he thinks its ither a headgasket or a rod thats makeing a hiss sound but not through the carb or exhaust. So i have to take the oil pan out and see then the heads off if all looks good in the oil pan. I remember have to do that on an older dodge 440 i found a rod bolt in the pan yet all the bolts where their.Ill post the findings and so far from what the rebuilder says i did not evan notice that sound befor it was the rattle but if the engine is on low idel it runs smooth. So im hopping it wont be to bad of a fix. Will keep posting as i get along on this.
Thanks to all who have taken a active part in providing so much help!!
I'm lost? Rods dont make a 'hiss' sound...?

If you can run the motor under light load (in gear, foot on brake, tad bit of throttle) and hear nothing, then the rod bearings are prolly good. If you hear a knock, knock, knock then you have a bad rod bearing. If you get the RPMs up and hear a rattle, then it most likely is one or more of the lifters. If there is a tick, tick, tick at idle and above, then it is a spring. If you hear a tick, tick, tick only at idle, then it is prolly a rocker or sticking valve..

As always, there are other things that cause these noises, but these are the most common.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:09 AM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
I'm lost? Rods dont make a 'hiss' sound...?

If you can run the motor under light load (in gear, foot on brake, tad bit of throttle) and hear nothing, then the rod bearings are prolly good. If you hear a knock, knock, knock then you have a bad rod bearing. If you get the RPMs up and hear a rattle, then it most likely is one or more of the lifters. If there is a tick, tick, tick at idle and above, then it is a spring. If you hear a tick, tick, tick only at idle, then it is prolly a rocker or sticking valve..

As always, there are other things that cause these noises, but these are the most common.
Still looking into it, but cant get to it this weekend. Ill try for monday late after work. Ill pull the pan and see whats going on underneath. If that does not show any thing wrong ill do a leak down test to see if it the headgasket piston valves ect.

Thanks for the advice and have copppied that quote as it does give alot of good info !!

Tags
southwind