Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2016, 02:29 PM   #1
mw4

1985 Winnebago Chieftain 22' -- Electrical advice

I have a 1985 Winnebago Chieftain 22' that I want to change out the power center converter charger. Currently it is a 30 Amp, and I'd like to get it swapped for a new modern version. I need some general direction. 30 vs 50, Brands, don't do this... , etc.

I have no issue doing this myself, just wanting some advice.

Thanks, Mike
mw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2016, 12:21 AM   #2

What's your reasoning for wanting to swap out the power center? Not functioning, new heavy loads, expandability, etc. That would help in giving advice.
DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:08 PM   #3
mw4

well, it's very old and I have gone through several batteries so I'm not sure what kind of charge or overcharge it's getting.

Also tripping a lot so I'd like to split off some of the circuits and run new new Circuits / romex.

For example I'm replacing a gas water heater, with a gas/electric, and need a dedicated circuit for that.

When I bought the coach, the local RV repair went over the rig and they said I should consider replacing it then.
mw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:11 PM   #4

I'd say start with taking a look at the load on each circuit and seeing what the total load is. Also look at how many circuits you feel you need. Also look at how many 12v circuits you need. That will narrow down your search and point you in the direction of what kind of unit you need.

If the old unit is questionable, I would opt for installing a new one. But before that I would determine what is causing the symptoms of the old one. Why are circuits tripping, and what is the output from the charger? Is it the charger causing problems with the batteries or is there another reason for it? The charger should be putting out between 12.9v to 14.1v, with 13.5v-13.8v preferred.
DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:38 PM   #5

I changed the old convertor in my 1988 Itasca to a new Progressive Dynamics PD4600 unit. The old convertor had a mechanical coil in it that discharged one time when the generator died and blew the new tv. The new unit is solid state so no back feed. Has more fuses for 12v power also. I just recently found out my fridge was direct wired to to the power coming from the batteries on one of the solenoids. New fridge is wired thru the convertor with a 5 amp fuse.

If you replace your unit take lots of pictures of the old unit and try to identify the circuits before you disconnect them. My new unit has a red light for a circuit that has a blown fuse which can shorten the time to repair it.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, electrical, winnebago